Wiki Posts
Search

DL app-not teck savy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
DL app-not teck savy

Can someone tell me why the Delta app would be more helpful than, for example, getting my boarding pass sent to my email? I am sure it must allow other short cuts but I don't travel real often and I am not sure if I need it. IF a flight is delayed is there a benefit in having the app? Forgive this VERY basic information but I am behind the times. I do have a smart/I- phone
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM
App is very useful.. things you can do (in no particular order)
1) check the seat map/change your seat
2) check current gate information
3) check flight status, including status of inbound aircraft
4) book a new flight
5) re-book a flight (and evaluate various rebooking options) if your flight is delayed or other irregular operations occur
6) check in for a flight, including getting your boarding pass
7) check your frequent flier info (status, skymiles earnings, number, etc).

I actually find the iOS app to be an invaluable travel tool!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:55 pm

Plus the new DL app update has maps of several airports that can direct you to good coffee! And while the map itself doesn't move, it can give you step by step directions to get from A to B in something like 20 airports including all of the hubs.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
The app also tracks your bags. Delta scans them when they go on and off planes (they're getting better at this) and this is useful info.

The app also can send you notifications about delays, gate changes, etc.

Looking at seat maps, changing seats and the UG list are all nice features.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Doesn't the app also alert you when boarding starts? . . . . Although, I find it not 100% reliable.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DL App has become the de-facto Skymiles membership card. Only DMs and PMs receive physical cards.

Originally Posted by davetravels
Doesn't the app also alert you when boarding starts? . . . . Although, I find it not 100% reliable.
I have noticed this too, leaving the SC when I receive the boarding notification only to find that the gate agents/DL O change status from "Scheduled" to "Boarding" and pre-boarding has not even started.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I think it relies on the agent putting the flight in "boarding" mode (or some such). And of course agents aren't 100%.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Don't forget that it stores the electronic "Have One On Us" drink coupons!

I guess that wouldn't matter to an infrequent flyer.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
DL App has become the de-facto Skymiles membership card. Only DMs and PMs receive physical cards.

I have noticed this too, leaving the SC when I receive the boarding notification only to find that the gate agents/DL O change status from "Scheduled" to "Boarding" and pre-boarding has not even started.
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I think it relies on the agent putting the flight in "boarding" mode (or some such). And of course agents aren't 100%.

I'd rather have them set it to board a couple of minutes early than a couple of minutes after boarding has started. Now what I'd like to see is some type of countdown that shows when boarding started, then it shows a countdown to the estimated time the door will be shut. I understand it will not be perfect, but it would at least give me an idea if I should walk, run, or call when I get off the plane.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

I believe the boarding notification is sent when the first passenger is marked onboard. This can be misleading when gate agents mark someone onboard who hasn't actually boarded in order to meet an internal boarding time metric that stations compete for: D-35 for most domestic narrowbodies.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Okay you convinced me--another EASY question. Got the App and I loaded my trip but now I can't figure out to add my next upcoming trip. Please advise.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Audie
Okay you convinced me--another EASY question. Got the App and I loaded my trip but now I can't figure out to add my next upcoming trip. Please advise.
The TODAY section only shows the current trip. MY DELTA shows all your trips.

Assuming you've logged on using your SkyMiles number, of course. If you are only using Guest mode, then the app only knows about trips who's PNRs you've entered into the app.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum
I had an interesting experience on a delayed flight where the flight never actually switched to "Boarding" status in my app.

I didn't realize they had started boarding until I looked at an information screen and made it to the gate just as they were calling for final boarding.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

I logged in and got the second trip listed but now I cannot find where to log out? I tried my name, wallet skymiles but can't find a log out option
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Audie
I logged in and got the second trip listed but now I cannot find where to log out? I tried my name, wallet skymiles but can't find a log out option
This could be one of those times to recruit the nearest 10 year old kid to show you how. The Log Out option is under the app menu in the top right corner of the app's screen. Log Out is at the very bottom of the list. On my phone I have to scroll the list to get to the bottom option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.