Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat will be assigned at airport!? should I be scared?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat will be assigned at airport!? should I be scared?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: delta dm
Way too much thought going into this situation ....no matter your seat assignment just get on the plane do a dwykia and sit in what ever aisle seat you want and tell not ask the person to sit in your middle seat and pretend you dont know english. Problem solved.

Last edited by dzflyer; Feb 21, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dzflyer
way too much thought going into this situation ....no matter you seat assignment just get on the plane do a dwykia and sit in what ever aisle seat you want and tell not ask the person to sit in your middle seat and pretend you dont know english. Problem solved. :d
excellent plan!!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by huge
It's still showing all of those 12 seats available that I would have to pay for, plus one middle comfort+ seat I can't (& wouldn't) pay for, but now (12 hours before departure) there is ONE free seat I can select: 15E. I'm inclined to not choose that since (a) I might have better luck calling if I don't have a seat at all and (b) I'm way more interested in not having a middle seat than getting closer to the front of the plane.
in my experience DL phone agents don't give stuff away for free to kettles. the auditing systems are too strong and the risk of penalties on them is too high.

i would continue to check for better seats to open on the map until you check in. i agree w/ the strategy of not taking 15E...it's already a middle seat, so you're not going to do any worse than that by waiting, and are likely to do better.

if you still haven't gotten a seat when you go to check in, the risk is you'll be auto-assigned a middle and it will be tough to get an agent to move you out of it for free. if you aren't assigned a middle automatically, i would very kindly plead your case at the SC or with the GA, but be prepared to end up in that same middle seat. you can also wait for them to just assign you a seat at the gate, in which case you may end up in a premium/C+ seat for free if that is what is left.

if it were me, i would keep watching the seat map and try to grab something as it opens...and if it doesn't, either decide if you will suck it up and potentially fly in a middle, or pay up to an available premium seat.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Are you flying on an E fare?

I have no status but often take the gamble with E fares. While you're supposed to be able to select a seat at check-in, often they are assigned at the gate. Attempts to get one assigned at the SC or by another gate agent are often unsuccessful (they say they can only be assigned at the gate when the agent "opens" for the flight).

I have gotten bumped into C+ before, but this happens much less now since changes to Medallion C+ upgrades. I have had about 50% luck getting an Exit row (without having to pay) with seat assignments at the gate, since that's often all that's left. Either that, or the last row in coach!

Worst case if you get IDB'd is you'll get some good $$!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
You are actually better off with no seat than a bad seat.

When the GA starts the process, the upgrades will most always come out of good seats making those seats available for assigning.

The non assigned pax on a full flight will therefor tend to end up in decent, not bad, seats. While selecting a back middle in advance will get you a back middle.

True that lack of a seat increased the IDB odds. But I have never even seen one of those, so would not be worried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.