Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Meals in Main Cabin on Transcon Flights and Long-Haul Domestic Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Adding Meals in Main Cabin on Transcon Flights and Long-Haul Domestic Routes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
"chicken or pasta"

Originally Posted by WWads
Hopefully the pre-order system will also bring about better meal info for all classes of service.
But the checkboxes may just read "chicken" and "pasta."
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by blitzcon

I agree with you in spirit here. Setting passenger expectations is tricky business. But one can make the same argument for domestic first having meals or not, what with all the time tables and route exceptions. .
However, in domestic F meals are served on all routes over X miles during X times. The exceptions are when DL offers enhanced service that goes above and beyond this on certain routes. I am not aware of any exceptions where a route has decreased service for business reasons. However, I know that if I am flying on a medium or long domestic flight in F, during meal times, I will be served a meal.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
However, in domestic F meals are served on all routes over X miles during X times. The exceptions are when DL offers enhanced service that goes above and beyond this on certain routes. I am not aware of any exceptions where a route has decreased service for business reasons. However, I know that if I am flying on a medium or long domestic flight in F, during meal times, I will be served a meal.

SEA/DEN in F tomorrow and info shows refreshments. Flight arrives at 7pm and is over 1000 miles so flight meets the criteria of minimum 900 miles(from what I've read)for dinner to be served. Flight is almost 3 hours. Not a big fan of airline food but with a tight connection in SEA....I was looking forward to something more substantial than the snack basket.

DYKIH

Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Saj8986
SEA/DEN in F tomorrow and info shows refreshments. Flight arrives at 7pm and is over 1000 miles so flight meets the criteria of minimum 900 miles(from what I've read)for dinner to be served. Flight is almost 3 hours. Not a big fan of airline food but with a tight connection in SEA....I was looking forward to something more substantial than the snack basket.

DYKIH

The flight departs SEA at 3:15pm. Flights under 1400 miles that depart between 1:30PM and 4PM do not receive meals. That may be annoying, but it is not an exception, it is inline with stated policy. That same route does receive meals on all of the other flights. Also, actual flying time is closer to 2 hours.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
The flight departs SEA at 3:15pm. Flights under 1400 miles that depart between 1:30PM and 4PM do not receive meals. That may be annoying, but it is not an exception, it is inline with stated policy. That same route does receive meals on all of the other flights. Also, actual flying time is closer to 2 hours.

Wasn't aware of the 1:30pm-4pm rules, thank you.

Flight is actually 2:45 minutes. Departs at 3:15pm PST and lands at 6:59pm MST.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Saj8986
Wasn't aware of the 1:30pm-4pm rules, thank you.

Flight is actually 2:45 minutes. Departs at 3:15pm PST and lands at 6:59pm MST.
I know, that afternoon window is a bit strange. For flying time, I was referencing the actual time in the air. Delta tends to pad their windows to prevent delays, and my point was about how much time there is in the air.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Is this showing up in anybody's reservations? I'm on the March 10 JFK-PDX, and all it's saying for meal service is the standard WU language (complimentary beer, wine, and spirits).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryanm
Is this showing up in anybody's reservations? I'm on the March 10 JFK-PDX, and all it's saying for meal service is the standard WU language (complimentary beer, wine, and spirits).
It is being introduced on March 1st on JFK-LAX/SFO but not until 4/24 on other routes.

http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-f...als-12-markets
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
It is being introduced on March 1st on JFK-LAX/SFO but not until 4/24 on other routes.

http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-f...als-12-markets
Ah I see--thanks. I'd just seen the 3/1 start date and thought it was for all the routes.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I booked SEA<>BOS for April 26-29 and the meal details for economy lists "Snack" and I was able to pre-order a low sodium meal both ways. I was given the upgrade to C+ both ways at booking as well.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:24 am

It's really interesting---and great---that they are offering special meals with this new service. I'm shocked actually.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Meal in Transcon Economy

flew JFK-SFO today in econ. as promised was indeed served a free meal - breakfast in my case. there were a bunch of options, three or four, the turkey sandwich was the only other thing that i remember. i opted for a fruit salad with hardboiled egg with a minibagel thing. it was decent. they came round with the carts shortly after takeoff which was at 8.10am.

lovely SFO-based FA said it wasn't too bad for them, the only tricky thing was they weren't given the menu cards from mgmt that they're supposed to handout to passengers at the beginning of the flight. so they had to explain the options to basically everyone.

he said that there was some DL concern that passengers would miss the snack boxes but after testing the meals for the last few months on limited flights, they decided that passengers preferred free meals.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 2, 2017 at 4:57 am Reason: Merged into the existing thread on the subject
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Was it Luvo fare or something else?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Was it Luvo fare or something else?
no, it wasn't Luvo branded
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
If I recall from a different ft thread, c+ service on these transcontinental flights will have the meal and also the snack basket. I was pretty sure the snack basket would disappear once the meal happened. That's definitely a small but positive move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.