Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta canceled my Virgin Atlantic booking, need advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta canceled my Virgin Atlantic booking, need advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentharris
You can attempt to call VS customer service, they are not afraid to share their opinion about DL now that DL owns 51% of VS. FYI they don't really like DL

That won't necessarily help your situation but might be a good place to vent haha
I did speak with VS customer service and they were happy to share their view that DL should be doing more to compensate me. Doesn't actually help my situation though.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Since there was a change in operating carrier, you should be able to cancel and get a full refund. This would seem to be the most logical alternative. Particularly since you never intend to fly DL again.
It's not the most logical alternative if you'd like to go on the trip you planned and booked months in advance. And if this had happened earlier, I would cancel the flight and replace with another carrier. But with travel a couple of weeks away, the cost is getting new tickets is prohibitive (at least for me).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by Often1
That gets OP nowhere. He is entitled to a refund. That is clear under both the DOT rule and the COC.

In fact, a quick peak at the COC makes it clear that it is DL's option to simply cancel and issue the refund.

Go ahead and file the DOT complaint. All that gets is a response from DL to the effect that, "yep - we fixed it, we cancelled and issued a full refund"
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
OP, why aren't you asking DL to be re-routed onto VS metal where PE is available? Your situation sucks but you seem to just be pissed off and not taking steps to mitigate. This is not going to help you!

You cannot demand or assume you will get an upgrade to business, even though others may be getting this. Perhaps the J cabin is full already on your date of travel?

Apart from cancelling the booking, this seems to be the best options to me. Find a routing you want and tell them to change your booking.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
DL bought that 49% from SQ.
It brought no new money into VS.
Totally, totally agree on what you are saying. You are correct, Delta brought no new money in. But what Delta DID do, was work with VS to realign their route network, (to both DL's and VS's benefit), to where VS is profitable. Was not that way before Delta stepped in.

That is what I am getting at is the employees at VS should be glad DL is now their partner.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by travels2
Yes, I booked VS Premium Economy, not extra leg room seats. There are no other VS flights to move to unless I add more connections to my itinerary unfortunately.
Originally Posted by woodford02A
OP, why aren't you asking DL to be re-routed onto VS metal where PE is available? Your situation sucks but you seem to just be pissed off and not taking steps to mitigate. This is not going to help you!
OP, woodford02A is right! You have a choice:

1) Find a VS flight with Premium Economy availability, even though it means adding an extra connection. Look on it as a chance to earn more miles.
Or
2) Take your original routing in Delta economy or Comfort Plus.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That gets OP nowhere. He is entitled to a refund. That is clear under both the DOT rule and the COC.
I agree that OP is entitled to a full refund if they want to cancel the ticket. That's not actually what I was referring to, so not responsive.

In fact, a quick peak at the COC makes it clear that it is DL's option to simply cancel and issue the refund.
Please let us know which portion of the COC you are referring to. I don't believe that the COC contains a provision allowing Delta to unilaterally cancel the ticket in the event of a downgrade. The relevant language seems to be laid out in the COC[PDF] is Rule 240(B), which makes it clear that (a) cancellation/refund would be at the customer's discretion, and (b) that a partial refund is owed for a change in cabin.

Go ahead and file the DOT complaint. All that gets is a response from DL to the effect that, "yep - we fixed it, we cancelled and issued a full refund"
As with your supposed citation to the COC, this statement does not match reality. Can you cite to any airline (much less Delta) taking this approach in response to a DOT complaint where the complainant is not requesting cancellation and a full refund?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
You cannot demand or assume you will get an upgrade to business, even though others may be getting this. Perhaps the J cabin is full already on your date of travel?
Yes, let's put this one to rest right here: there is no way DL is putting OP in business class, on DL or VS or any other airline.

When they make such changes, they have to "justify" to the computer/waive the difference in price that they are waiving to give you that seat. It will be thousands of dollars and no reservation agent or supervisor is willing to risk their job to make such a change for anyone - especially in this case.

OP - either accept a downgrade, a reroute, or a refund. Those are your options. A free upgrade to business class is not an option that is even remotely plausible (I wouldn't expect them to do that for me either, and I'm "Diamond" with DL so they should be able to be more "flexible")

Originally Posted by jordyn
Can you cite to any airline (much less Delta) taking this approach in response to a DOT complaint where the complainant is not requesting cancellation and a full refund?
Alitalia has done this...but now, back to reality (agree, DL would never do this unilaterally)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes, let's put this one to rest right here: there is no way DL is putting OP in business class, on DL or VS or any other airline.

When they make such changes, they have to "justify" to the computer/waive the difference in price that they are waiving to give you that seat. It will be thousands of dollars and no reservation agent or supervisor is willing to risk their job to make such a change for anyone - especially in this case.

OP - either accept a downgrade, a reroute, or a refund. Those are your options. A free upgrade to business class is not an option that is even remotely plausible (I wouldn't expect them to do that for me either, and I'm "Diamond" with DL so they should be able to be more "flexible")

Alitalia has done this...but now, back to reality (agree, DL would never do this unilaterally)
Couldn't the OP Reroute SFO-LHR and then take the Virgin Train in First Class to Manchester and vice versa? or fly Virgin LHR-MAN?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by danielonn
Couldn't the OP Reroute SFO-LHR and then take the Virgin Train in First Class to Manchester and vice versa? or fly Virgin LHR-MAN?
Virgin Trains and Virgin Atlantic are not related. DL/VS would not be paying for this.

Virgin does not fly LHR-MAN or any intra-UK routes for that matter...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: ba silver
OP, if it interests you perhaps you could get Delta to re-route you on Air France in PE to CDG and then to MAN. I've found them to very open into rebooking onto AF or KLM during schedule changes. No guarantees but no harm in asking. It might help if you do the research and give them your preferred routing. AF PE is a decent product. Priority check- in ( sometimes ) priority security and the option to purchase lounge access. Also, on Air France you sometimes get emailed very low-priced offers to move up to business class ( 250 Euros TATL for me last year).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:20 pm

Virgin Trains and Virgin Atlantic are not related.
Nit: this isn't correct. Virgin Trains and Virgin Rail Group (its parent) are majority-owned by Virgin Group, which is also the majority owner of Virgin Atlantic. In other words, both are subsidiaries controlled by the same parent in much the same way that American Airlines and Envoy are both subsidiaries of American Airlines Group.

Having said that, I have no idea if either Delta or Virgin has the ability to book train segments on Virgin Trains, but I agree this is an unlikely solution.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jordyn
Nit: this isn't correct. Virgin Trains and Virgin Rail Group (its parent) are majority-owned by Virgin Group, which is also the majority owner of Virgin Atlantic. In other words, both are subsidiaries controlled by the same parent in much the same way that American Airlines and Envoy are both subsidiaries of American Airlines Group.

Having said that, I have no idea if either Delta or Virgin has the ability to book train segments on Virgin Trains, but I agree this is an unlikely solution.
However unlike AA and Envoy these are totally separate businesses that just share a corporate owner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.