Wiki Posts
Search

Two round trips on the same ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Two round trips on the same ticket

I was booking a flight from XNA to LGA direct for next month, but the price is very high for the W-F schedule I need. Playing around with the multi-city pricing I was able to successfully book XNA - LGA - XNA - LGA - XNA where the 2nd round trip is another meeting I have in May with what looks like a 60 day stopover at home in between. This 4-leg ticket priced out $30 less than the single round trip.

Unsurprisingly, this can't be booked on Delta.com but I booked it and got the ticket issued through the Delta iOS app. I have a receipt, C+ upgrade and chosen seats.

My questions:
  1. will Delta honor this ticket as I booked it?
  2. what happens if I try to book/fly another flight during the 60 day stopover?
  3. at what point will I find out if they decide not to honor it?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1- I don't see why not
2- I would expect absolutely nothing, as you're not changing anything associated with this reservation
3- probably never, but I'm almost certain some folks on this forum will have other opinions
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Smart booking. I don't think you will run into any issues, provided you don't miss a leg.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Regarding #2 - I have booked tickets where I have a 72 hr layover. During that layover I flew another Delta flight (different reservation) and flew during that time. No issues.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:01 pm

Technically on one ticket this would not be breaking the published are rules trying to circumvent min/max stay rules. How could you fraudulently be doing it if it's all on one ticket.

What IS technically against the rules is if you did that with 2 tickets.

Example:
Ticket 1
XNA to LGA Feb13 and LGA to XNA return on August 18

Ticket 2
LGA to XNA Feb 17 and XNA to LGA on August 14
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
Technically on one ticket this would not be breaking the published are rules trying to circumvent min/max stay rules. How could you fraudulently be doing it if it's all on one ticket.

What IS technically against the rules is if you did that with 2 tickets.

Example:
Ticket 1
XNA to LGA Feb13 and LGA to XNA return on August 18

Ticket 2
LGA to XNA Feb 17 and XNA to LGA on August 14
This was actually my first plan, but I was concerned about having two active tickets at the same time. I don't know the rules well enough to know how this violates them but it seems plausible.

Frankly, I was surprised my single-ticket multi-city routing worked - it seems like this is a loophole in the app that they've already closed on the website.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
pretty sure that "nested tickets" like this are only illegal if there's a minimum stay limitation (e.g., Saturday night) associated with one or both
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
pretty sure that "nested tickets" like this are only illegal if there's a minimum stay limitation (e.g., Saturday night) associated with one or both
Cheapest fares on this route are a $363 V fare which have a 21-day advance purchase and Saturday night stay requirement. So nesting tickets to get V fares would be considered a violation of ticketing rules.

FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01JAN 17 TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN

I was able to repeat OP's trick using Google Flights and got all V fares for a total of $750 and was able to bring it up on delta.com. Booking the trips separately results in two $753 L fares. Not sure why OP says he only saw $30 in savings. I'm seeing $756 in savings. Not sure why delta.com is letting you book something as a single ticket which would appear to violate their own ticketing rules.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 9, 2017 at 6:45 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Cheapest fares on this route are a $363 V fare which have a 21-day advance purchase and Saturday night stay requirement. So nesting tickets to get V fares would be considered a violation of ticketing rules.

FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01JAN 17 TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN
This helps, where do you find those fare rules?
Originally Posted by LBJ
I was able to repeat OP's trick using Google Flights and got all V fares for a total of $750 and was able to bring it up on delta.com. Booking the trips separately results in two $753 L fares. Not sure why OP says he only saw $30 in savings. I'm seeing $756 in savings. Not sure why delta.com is letting you book something as a single ticket which would appear to violate their own ticketing rules.
The 4-leg itinerary was $30 less than booking just the first round trip by itself. Total savings is in the $750 range.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thetoolman
This helps, where do you find those fare rules?

The 4-leg itinerary was $30 less than booking just the first round trip by itself. Total savings is in the $750 range.
The fare rules are linked in the Terms and Conditions section at the bottom of the Trip Summary page after you have selected your flights.

Here are the ticketing rules which prohibit

"Back-to-back ticketing - combining multiple overlapping round-trip tickets to circumvent Saturday or other overnight stay requirements"

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...trictions.html
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Here are the ticketing rules which prohibit

"Back-to-back ticketing - combining multiple overlapping round-trip tickets to circumvent Saturday or other overnight stay requirements"
I don't think what the OP has done here violates this rule (or any). The OP has not combined overlapping round-trip tickets, nor has he nested trips (which is a trip within a trip). An overlapping violation involves using more than one ticket to circumvent pricing.

In this case, he presented his exact intentions to Delta for purchase on one ticket, and they were happy to do so.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ajwright
I don't think what the OP has done here violates this rule (or any). The OP has not combined overlapping round-trip tickets, nor has he nested trips (which is a trip within a trip). An overlapping violation involves using more than one ticket to circumvent pricing.

In this case, he presented his exact intentions to Delta for purchase on one ticket, and they were happy to do so.
It's definitely a violation of DL's ticketing rules (see LBJ's above posting for a good explanation). Just because the ticket was sold & purchased directly does not mean it's clean. Many of us are savvy enough to "manipulate" tickets in some manner or another to yield a lower fare; in recent years, most airlines have introduced IT upgrades that "catch" these and prevent the sale, but some instances are still possible.

That said... will the OP get caught? If he hadn't posted this on FT, 99.99999% chance he wouldn't have been (even with the posting, probably hasn't changed much though). In other words... I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Bagels
It's definitely a violation of DL's ticketing rules....
Disagree .... The average consumer does not read T&C's. The consumer trusts that the Multi-National corporation would not sell a product at a stated price, for a stated use, if the service would later be denied.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bagels
It's definitely a violation of DL's ticketing rules (see LBJ's above posting for a good explanation). Just because the ticket was sold & purchased directly does not mean it's clean. Many of us are savvy enough to "manipulate" tickets in some manner or another to yield a lower fare; in recent years, most airlines have introduced IT upgrades that "catch" these and prevent the sale, but some instances are still possible.

That said... will the OP get caught? If he hadn't posted this on FT, 99.99999% chance he wouldn't have been (even with the posting, probably hasn't changed much though). In other words... I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Sorry, but that's not the case. As long as all is on one ticket it's fine. What DL prohibits is using multiple tickets to get around fare conditions.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Seems like DL ticketing systems failed to catch this but nonetheless it most likely violates fare rules and if you have IRROPS involving agent intervention, they may/may not turn it into an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.