Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Penalty for SDC when same fare class isn't available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty for SDC when same fare class isn't available?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:37 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by matthew64832
When I am staying on the exact same flight, and just want to change my fare to a higher basis, I have NEVER paid a change fee, whether it was from an X fare to an H fare or from a V fare to a P fare (or whatever).

I've done this between two coach fares and also from coach to domestic first without change fees numerous times without even any mention of change fee. Not saying that it is a policy, but it sure felt like it.
I could understand wanting to UG from a coach seat to F, but, why would you want to pay more to go X fare to an H fare and stay on the same flight? - - with the possible exception of needing MQDs at the end of the year?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But you need to look at same day first class fares compared to advanced purchased coach, because that is the fare difference you would be paying for a same day change to F. A search on Delta.com right now for ATL-MSP shows:

Lowest price for same day one-way first class ticket: $486
Lowest price for one month advance purchase coach: $173 (or $153 for an E fare)
Difference is $313 Could be significantly more or less depending on the flight (there were one way same day F fares for as much as $1k and one way advanced Y fares for as high as $550)
No, because the fare difference between advanced purchase coach and same day coach would apply if you were to make a change. You only want to isolate the marginal difference between same day coach and same day first to see if it's more than the penalty.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However it's not been a "waiver" it's been policy. I've never tried at the airport, but I know reservations has never charged me or anyone else (including no status) a change fee to upfare to the next available fare class in order to SDC.
IME, when requesting a SDC change online and fare class availability doesn't exist on the desired flight, the online tool charges the $200 ACS fee + any fare difference.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
Doesn't make sense to me that, that would be allowed. If everyone did this, then, they could always buy the cheapest ticket for that day, and SDC later to a fare that doesn't exist anymore.

Seems to me that, this is a similar gripe of the Delta apologists who post here about the SDC policy for all F fare buckets, in that, you can buy the cheapest fare available on any old flight that day, then, 24 hours in advance of travel, just choose ANY flight you want!
I'm not really sure how anyone other than people buying Y, B or M would be able to SDC if it worked the way you think it should.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Now you sound Delta-like ;-)

I have, as I am sure any number of Diamonds, most times had reps wave fees and allow SDC for just the fare difference.
I've never paid a change fee when I've needed to do this as a PM, just the fare difference.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
IME, when requesting a SDC change online and fare class availability doesn't exist on the desired flight, the online tool charges the $200 ACS fee + any fare difference.
In this case, it's being processed as a ticket change, not SDC. For this price, you don't have to wait for the 24 hour window but can make the change any time, or at least any time after the outbound has been flown.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, it's being processed as a ticket change, not SDC. For this price, you don't have to wait for the 24 hour window but can make the change any time, or at least any time after the outbound has been flown.
Understood. This is, however, using the online SDC option. When using the online SDC option you are presented with both flights that are eligible and flights that are not. Flights that are not have two options, Stand By or Confirmed. IME, the Confirmed option is the fare difference plus the ACS ($200).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Sometimes you have to do HUCA multiple times. I was ticketed on a DTW/ORD fare today and my fare class wasn't available to ORD but was for a MDW flight I wanted and the diamond desk agent insisted I couldn't SDC for a coterminal and the best she could do was put me on standby for the ORD flight and I could see if the gate agent could put me on the list once I got to the airport.

Called a couple hours later and was told I couldn't SDC into a coterminal and did HUCA and a few seconds later I was on the MDW flight.

If Delta is charging the change fee to buy up to a higher fare class that is pretty low seeing how they screwed us with the SDC changes
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:19 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not really sure how anyone other than people buying Y, B or M would be able to SDC if it worked the way you think it should.
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about . . . .

I was under the impression that the rules were enforced. If I'm on a V fare, I can SDC to another flight with V availability or I can try my luck at SDS .

I never thought one could SDC from a V fare, to, say an X upfare, if X class is available for five or ten dollars more.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about . . . .

I was under the impression that the rules were enforced. If I'm on a V fare, I can SDC to another flight with V availability or I can try my luck at SDS .

I never thought one could SDC from a V fare, to, say an X upfare, if X class is available for five or ten dollars more.
As far as I'm aware, virtually all X fares have an advanced purchase requirement. Even if X fare inventory was available, you wouldn't be able to buy a new ticket with an X fare or upfare your existing ticket to an X fare on the day of departure. The lowest fare I've seen without advanced purchase requirements is U, but I'm sure it can vary by market.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
ARE you sure you're not clicking change flights, instead of search for other flight options during the OLCI pages?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
As far as I'm aware, virtually all X fares have an advanced purchase requirement. Even if X fare inventory was available, you wouldn't be able to buy a new ticket with an X fare or upfare your existing ticket to an X fare on the day of departure. The lowest fare I've seen without advanced purchase requirements is U, but I'm sure it can vary by market.
AP doesn't come into play in this situation. They use historical pricing from date of purchase or the then current X fare w/of regard to AP.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:16 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ARE you sure you're not clicking change flights, instead of search for other flight options during the OLCI pages?
Yes. I don't have a screenshot but have done so a handful of times in the last year and have been presented with both SDC options and pay options, which include the $200 change fee.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All seems consistent with removing discretion from front-line agents to achieve consistent pax treatment.

In theory, practice is supposed to mirror the published rules and that would be SDC, SDSB or change ($200 + fare difference). An agent seeking to grant a waiver would need approval and to state a specific reason which gets audited.

Reading tea leaves --- start looking at tougher SDC rules over the next year.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

AP doesn't come into play in this situation. They use historical pricing from date of purchase or the then current X fare w/of regard to AP.
Pardon my ignorance, but does Delta's system do this automatically, or does the ticket need to be sent to manual re-issue?

Also, if I cancelled a flight and had a residual credit on the ticket after any penalties, would that mean that I could have access to advance purchase fare buckets after the advanced purchase deadline has passed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.