Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I would not be surprised if DL rebranded the upgrade certs again after the release of PE and gave Plats certs that allowed for regional or PE upgrades...or maybe even PE->D1 upgrades.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
People shouldn't expect what they don't pay for, and DL has made it clear they want you to pay $ not just loyalty. Again I point to their effort to sell more F seats and upgrade fewer people.
lol, that doesn't have anything to do with you getting mad because you had to sit next to some dirty commoner who got upgraded. There was absolutely zero implication that the peon you were forced to endure felt entitled to that upgrade. That's just you making up some sort of bogus justification for your feewings.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would not be surprised if DL rebranded the upgrade certs again after the release of PE and gave Plats certs that allowed for regional or PE upgrades...or maybe even PE->D1 upgrades.
This is what I expect - RUCs will become one-cabin certificates, good for domestic Y->F, international Y->PE, or international PE->J. GUCs will become two cabin certificates for Y->PE.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by pvn
lol, that doesn't have anything to do with you getting mad because you had to sit next to some dirty commoner who got upgraded. There was absolutely zero implication that the peon you were forced to endure felt entitled to that upgrade. That's just you making up some sort of bogus justification for your feewings.
Who said I'm mad? You seem to be the only person making that jump.
I stated my opinion on what DL should do with their new Premium Econ product. Again you're turning this into a DYKWIA for absolutely no reason.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
The years long experiences of non-US airlines that have had this product is that the cabin sells very well. It often sells out long before economy and business class. If Delta prices it right, it would rarely have to "give it away" even if they follow American. It would, however, be a nice perk to their most loyal flyers flying on their own dime with little cost to Delta. The danger, despite what the airlines are saying, is that premium economy eventually becomes the default upgrade for GUCs.
Delta tends to think their "premium" product is more premium than it is, especially compared to non-US carriers. So it will be interesting to see how they price it.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Delta tends to think their "premium" product is more premium than it is, especially compared to non-US carriers. So it will be interesting to see how they price it.
I fully expect it to be priced at the same level as other W products. While the seat may be a little bit more narrow than other carriers, they are offering a soft product that is on par with domestic first.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
how mad do you get if you find out the guy next to you got his ticket for less than whatever you paid?
That's how airlines play the price (errr paint) game. Everyone pays a different price.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I fully expect it to be priced at the same level as other W products. While the seat may be a little bit more narrow than other carriers, they are offering a soft product that is on par with domestic first.
I expect it will be priced the same as well, making it a worse value than other W products. Offering a soft product on a par with domestic first doesn't make it premium. The domestic first soft product would be more premium than it is if they gave you a voucher to Panera or something similar rather than the domestic first meal.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
The years long experiences of non-US airlines that have had this product is that the cabin sells very well. It often sells out long before economy and business class. If Delta prices it right, it would rarely have to "give it away" even if they follow American. It would, however, be a nice perk to their most loyal flyers flying on their own dime with little cost to Delta. The danger, despite what the airlines are saying, is that premium economy eventually becomes the default upgrade for GUCs.
I get what you are saying, but it is clear that at least some of "their most loyal flyers" would not consider it a "nice perk" unless the upgrades were effectively guaranteed. I mean how much whining have we had to endure about how pricing F "right", as you suggest for PE, cheapens loyalty?

To my mind, there is simply too little to gain and too much to lose. If the upgrades are rare, the carrot won't materially impact purchasing decisions. If the upgrades are frequent, then they are viewed as an entitlement and you risk the revenue premium. It is all downside from DL's perspective.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

I expect it will be priced the same as well, making it a worse value than other W products. Offering a soft product on a par with domestic first doesn't make it premium. The domestic first soft product would be more premium than it is if they gave you a voucher to Panera or something similar rather than the domestic first meal.
A domestic F-level soft product would place DL's PE in the upper tier of quality.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Well it's too early to know for certain, but based on the marketing materials (I know, I know) DL is aiming for no less than the middle of the pack and maybe somewhat above:
  • Seat: Average
  • Dedicated FAs: Above Average
  • Meals: Above Average (ie: not Y, and better than domestic F, assuming they don't turn out terrible)
  • Amenity Kit: Average, maybe Above Average if done well
  • Blanket and Pillow: Average, maybe slightly Above Average
  • Priority Security, Boarding, Bags: Average
  • Baggage Allowance: Average
  • Lounge Access: Below Average (ie: only for alliance high elites, but presumably still not at "third party" lounges)
  • Mileage Earning: Average (ie: class of service bonus on MQM, though you could argue revenue based RDM makes this Below Average)
  • TBD: Welcome champagne, dedicated toilets

And to the original question, the DL website still says "Complimentary Upgrades are not available". But at least now we know why it's called "Select": "The Delta Premium Select experience will be available on select long-haul flights."
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
A domestic F-level soft product would place DL's PE in the upper tier of quality.
Compared to whom? Who would be in the lower tier?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Compared to whom? Who would be in the lower tier?
What, exactly, do you think carriers are offering in PE?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bennos
Lounge Access: Below Average (ie: only for alliance high elites, but presumably still not at "third party" lounges)
My guess is that they will go with the AF model and offer lounge access as an add-on.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Will Delta follow American and offer comp day of departure upgrades to Premium Economy for Diamond Medallions?
See the link below:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...my-upgrades-2/
Let the speculation begin.
FWIW my average as a EXP on getting comped up to the comparable Premium E product on CX is 100% over the last 12 months...never official and happens at checkin and not the gate.

My guess is that DL will do something of the same manner for competitive advantage - especially if C+ is going away. Otherwise I will book with where I know I am going to get a better Y seat at time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.