Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Delta Offering Soft Landings to Select Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Delta Offering Soft Landings to Select Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
The example is not a soft landing, it is upgrading status because someone is close, the subject of many year end ft posts!

I think this is BS. Not fair to those who made it. Even more unfair for people who did MR at the last minute to make it.

And what if the person was holding short?
I agree. I'm against all soft landings and bumps up of status. It's not fair to others who earned their status according to the published rules.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by The Matador
A friend of mine was short 3 segments and was offered GM at a significant premium. Was well over the CC spend and MQD.
By "premium" do you mean a large co-pay?

David
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
ive been a plat for 10+ years, got the amex waiver every year, only had about 30k MQMs 2016, no soft landing for me....only silver
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. I'm against all soft landings and bumps up of status. It's not fair to others who earned their status according to the published rules.
+1
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
My co worker based in canada (no MQD requirement) missed platinum by 300 miles... and received a soft landing... and he's pissed.

His travel is going to be heavily cut in 2017 (due to relocation to the states to be closer to his main clients) so he was planning to roll over 24k miles so he could lock up gold for 2018 by the time his travel stops
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Other airlines do this too, so Delta is certainly not unique. I missed reaualifying for Alaska status by 175 miles because I rescheduled a trip into 2017 due to illness. I called to ask about buying the remaining MQM I needed and they immediately comped me the extra miles I needed for status instead.

I suspect Delta is using their internal customer value score to determine these exemptions. Publishing qualification thresholds by profitability isn't really feasible, but you can certainly use that data to determine who you gift enhanced status.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
My co worker based in canada (no MQD requirement) missed platinum by 300 miles... and received a soft landing... and he's pissed.

His travel is going to be heavily cut in 2017 (due to relocation to the states to be closer to his main clients) so he was planning to roll over 24k miles so he could lock up gold for 2018 by the time his travel stops
Others have noted that the emails say you can call to have it reversed (to take the rollover MQM's instead of the status).
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Elite inflation means more competition for fewer "space available" complementary UGs, further incentivizing folks to participate in FCM.

The logic, from a Va Ave perspective, is clear.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
And it reminds us that 'when everyone is elite, no one is' (or whatever the exact phrase was), that DL has little or no intention of thinning the elite ranks.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

From the bottom of the UG email:

Terms & Conditions - We've increased your 2016 MQMs balance in order to grant your complimentary Status. If you would prefer to not receive this complimentary Status and instead allow your original 2016 MQMs balance to rollover, please contact a SkyMiles representative at 1-800-323-2323. Promo code: 171001

Now. Since we have the Promo code, does that mean if you ARE a few thousand short (or MQSs or MQDs short) you could call and beg with the code to get the UG if you wanted it? Humm... @:-)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Wow. Mileage run from hell @ -20f with *every* segment IRROPS all because I needed what ended up being 91 miles to make Gold.

This will probably cost DL in the long run. I'm certainly not inclined to pay for a mileage run in the future.

I did get a Tommy's Mega that trip, so I got that going for me.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL GM through 1/2018, Hyatt Platinum through 1/2018
This doesn't make me too happy. I purposely bought a few more expensive fares than i would have for trips in December in order to ensure I maintained Gold this year (This is my fifth consecutive year of status - Silver, Gold, Platinum, Gold, and now Gold again). Without those fares, I would have been about $500 MQDs short. With my elite history, I think it is more than likely that I would have gotten the soft landing. I followed the rules, and paid more out of pocket to get the status, but now it seems like I could have gotten it for free. Guess I'll never know.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
At the end of the day, what is "fair" to you & me is irrelevant.

The airline is guesstimating the future value of the customer and gambling on the payback. That is the airline's prerogative.

Delta has been giving soft landings (in the proper usage of the term) for years. I received one for 2010.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Thanks for the tips, FTers! My colleague was able to get his status back to gold and get his 24k rollover miles
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott & Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just gave this a shot.
I have been GM for past 5 years, missed GM MQDs by $500 and rolled over 46k MQMs because I dropped to a Silver.

Got a friendly representative, I asked about the soft landing program, even gave her the Promo code listed in the e-mail. She referred me to the 'Elevate Your Status' to buy MQDs. She didn't see a program which an elite who missed the MQDs to get a soft landing.

Anyone hear of success in a soft landing when you met/exceeded the MQDs, but missed the MQMs?

At least I will make Platinum easily for 2018!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.