Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Delta will suspend NRT-TPE and close Taiwan branch office

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Delta will suspend NRT-TPE and close Taiwan branch office

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've been wondering if Delta pulled out of Taiwan because the new Taiwan government is much more nationalistic and pro-independence, putting the mainland China partner of Delta in a position to leverage its relationship with Delta to score a soft-power diplomatic victory for the communist regime.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've been wondering if Delta pulled out of Taiwan because the new Taiwan government is much more nationalistic and pro-independence, putting the mainland China partner of Delta in a position to leverage its relationship with Delta to score a soft-power diplomatic victory for the communist regime.
I don't think this move even registers on the political scale. Like UA, I think DL is trying to offload much of its intra-Asia connecting traffic to partners and focus on O+D ops ex-SEA.

Unfortunately unlike UA, it's intra-Asia partners are either Korean Airlines, which isn't a bad option, or a bunch of backward, poor quality, semi-safe Chinese airlines that are not really ready for western customers.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I highly doubt it.

https://udn.com/news/story/7314/2481772 has a video and some interesting photos - I am guessing these "hugging passengers" are non-revs catching the last flight out.

http://gotv.ctitv.com.tw/2017/05/526119.htm has even more photos.

Last edited by username; May 28, 2017 at 12:43 am
Old May 30, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Well, interesting turn of event. China Airlines, as of Delta's cutoff date, added more flights from the US to TPE, using brand spanking new A350s. Flights are added to LAX, SFO and SEA. I had a recent experience and it was great!! Unfortunately, you barely get any mileage or MQM/MQD from this. So... this will be my last year with Delta...as I do the TPE flight frequently. Without this backbone flight, Delta is not appealing for me at all, so I will move to another airline for domestic as well.

Speaking of A350, they are sooo freakin' nice, what a change from the old B777 and B767 that Delta uses. Service is better, food is better, but alcohol choices are lacking.

In addition, Air Canada also caught on and they added YVR to TPE, using B787, around the same time Delta cancelled the TPE flight. Delta is very short sighted with this route cancellation without adding a SEA flight to TPE. I've done this route for many years and it's pack full of US business people and some familiar faces. This surely will cause Delta to lose a chunk of loyal customers.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by wlau
Well, interesting turn of event. China Airlines, as of Delta's cutoff date, added more flights from the US to TPE, using brand spanking new A350s. Flights are added to LAX, SFO and SEA. I had a recent experience and it was great!! Unfortunately, you barely get any mileage or MQM/MQD from this. So... this will be my last year with Delta...as I do the TPE flight frequently. Without this backbone flight, Delta is not appealing for me at all, so I will move to another airline for domestic as well.

Speaking of A350, they are sooo freakin' nice, what a change from the old B777 and B767 that Delta uses. Service is better, food is better, but alcohol choices are lacking.

In addition, Air Canada also caught on and they added YVR to TPE, using B787, around the same time Delta cancelled the TPE flight. Delta is very short sighted with this route cancellation without adding a SEA flight to TPE. I've done this route for many years and it's pack full of US business people and some familiar faces. This surely will cause Delta to lose a chunk of loyal customers.
China Airlines is adding SEA? Where did you see this? I can't find it on the interwebs yet.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by bj27
China Airlines is adding SEA? Where did you see this? I can't find it on the interwebs yet.
Told by China Airlines sales staff that try to get my company to switch from DL to CI. Somehow China Airlines knew we have a lot of folks fly to TPE. Their sales people called and told us about it, very pointedly I might add about our folks losing option on Delta. Haven't heard from Air Canada or United... which really impressed me about China Airlines. I don't recall if the add is confirmed or still in planning stage. Right now only BR flies direct to SEA.

I am in the bay area which only had a daily flight from SFO to TPE that takes off after midnight, now they've added mid-day flights and also started to use A350.

I was on CI's new B777 quite a few times. They were very nice but the seat is narrower than DL because of 10 abreast instead of 9. With A350, it's wide enough to have comfortable 9 abreast but too narrow for 10. CI's 9 abreast A350 is much much better than United's B787 9 abreast w/ hard armrest. I was not a big fan of Airbus but Airbus has made some very very smart design decisions that make Boeing look stupid, especially that electronically controlled window shade... B787 is a damaged brand in my mind for being able to fit 9 breast and the "innovative" electronically controlled shades.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:57 am

Told by China Airlines sales staff that try to get my company to switch from DL to CI. Somehow China Airlines knew we have a lot of folks fly to TPE. Their sales people called and told us about it, very pointedly I might add about our folks losing option on Delta. Haven't heard from Air Canada or United... which really impressed me about China Airlines. I don't recall if the add is confirmed or still in planning stage. Right now only BR flies direct to SEA.

I am in the bay area which only had a daily flight from SFO to TPE that takes off after midnight, now they've added mid-day flights and also started to use A350.

I was on CI's new B777 quite a few times. They were very nice but the seat is narrower than DL because of 10 abreast instead of 9. With A350, it's wide enough to have comfortable 9 abreast but too narrow for 10. CI's 9 abreast A350 is much much better than United's B787 9 abreast w/ hard armrest. I was not a big fan of Airbus but Airbus has made some very very smart design decisions that make Boeing look stupid, especially that electronically controlled window shade... B787 is a damaged brand in my mind for being able to fit 9 breast and the "innovative" electronically controlled shades.
Hmm okay. I thought you meant that CI had loaded the routes into the system and they are available for sale.

I know when they took orders of their A350s they wanted to resume IAH and SEA but I guess there are no seats available for sale yet, so I guess we can keep this one pending.

I would say based on the market I think CI on the SEA-TPE is more of a matter of "when" and not "if."

Interesting, though, since I bet DL will see their Skyteam "partner" taking some of the traffic that routes through NRT, unless a JV is announced with CI. Lots of hypothesizing here.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Told by China I am in the bay area which only had a daily flight from SFO to TPE that takes off after midnight, now they've added mid-day flights and also started to use A350.
Oh nice, didn't realize those had started already ^ Had August in my mind but now I see that's just a further increase in frequency. I am not a fan of the post-midnight departure.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Oh nice, didn't realize those had started already ^ Had August in my mind but now I see that's just a further increase in frequency. I am not a fan of the post-midnight departure.
I actually quite like the post-midnight departure. You are so tired already by the time you get on the plane it's quite easy to eat and then fall asleep (usually I can barely keep my eyes open through the meal service if I've had a long day).
Old May 30, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Interesting, though, since I bet DL will see their Skyteam "partner" taking some of the traffic that routes through NRT, unless a JV is announced with CI. Lots of hypothesizing here.
I think you're going to see Delta and Korean expand their newly-rekindled friendship to takeover and/or re-launch all of Delta and formerly Northwest's intra-Asia flights in and out of Tokyo-Narita. Delta will keep a couple direct flights into HND, but that's it. Much like Delta's deal with Air France and KLM.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

You mean the shades that don't actually fully shade when the sun is hitting it! Never understood the thought that went into the 787 window "shade".
Old May 30, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Unless you're stuck with Skyteam, I would suggest reaching out to a BR sales rep and switching your business to BR which is a better product, and a much safer airline (my TW friends fly BR vs CI 10-1). If you're doing any significant volume and need help with this, drop me an email and I will help out.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Taiwanese media is reporting that US media is reporting that Foxconn will build factories in Michigan in Oakland County (even though I can't find any US news outlet that confirms this - only saying Michigan is pursuing). It is just not one company - many suppliers will follow. Maybe CI will fly to DTW with the A350
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by username
The Taiwanese media is reporting that US media is reporting that Foxconn will build factories in Michigan in Oakland County (even though I can't find any US news outlet that confirms this - only saying Michigan is pursuing). It is just not one company - many suppliers will follow. Maybe CI will fly to DTW with the A350
If they really wanted to give a middle-finger to Delta they'd fly into FNT (Flint), which is actually better located for those living and doing business in Oakland County than DTW.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:53 pm

I actually quite like the post-midnight departure. You are so tired already by the time you get on the plane it's quite easy to eat and then fall asleep (usually I can barely keep my eyes open through the meal service if I've had a long day).
Midnight fly arrive into TPE 5 or 6AM, which means I go straight to work - I just can't because I never get "deep sleep" on those flights, especially on the 777, which is very noisy. A350 is quieter for sure... Airbus did a great job at better all aspects over Boeing's 787.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You mean the shades that don't actually fully shade when the sun is hitting it! Never understood the thought that went into the 787 window "shade".
Yes - stupid electronically controlled shade. They dim but don't block sun completely, especially if you have an international flight that tracks the sun the entire way - it's pure nightmare. I heard new 787 orders have many requests to put back the mechanical shades.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unless you're stuck with Skyteam, I would suggest reaching out to a BR sales rep and switching your business to BR which is a better product, and a much safer airline (my TW friends fly BR vs CI 10-1). If you're doing any significant volume and need help with this, drop me an email and I will help out.
I fly all over in Asia... I am not worried about BR. I am worried about rest of the alliance, like United and Air China. Both companies are the worst of the 3 big in their countries. The two together will surely create even more headaches. Star Alliance generally represent the worst players in the industry. BR and CI are both fine - your argument of BR is safer than CI is old and tiring. During last year's typhoon, every airline halted their flights, then BR decided to take off and land and pax were screaming on the flight and using drink napkin to write their wills! My coworker took a week off afterwards because he was so traumatized. What you said about Taiwanese prefer BR is not true - they are split. You will be surprised how many of the Taiwan's riches fly solely on CI. If you what said is true, then CI would be out of business... BR sales rep chase us constantly but no thanks... The army green color of BR's uniform and cabin fixtures is puke-inducing for me

Last edited by wlau; Jun 7, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.