Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SYD Delta Comfort vs Main Cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
If you're 6" coach will be brutal on this flight. Would highly recommend comfort+
Old May 8, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kope49
We will be doing r/t LAX to Sydney on a Delta 777. We have enough miles to cover the fare in coach but not enough for comfort. If I use miles plus cash for the same number of miles plus an additional $300 each we can get the extra 4" legroom. For two 14-15 hour flights it seems like it may be worthwhile (I am 6' - she is 5'3"). But maybe at 6' I can handle the coach legroom? The longest nonstop flight I have taken was Seattle to Dallas so this is a big difference. Any thoughts?
Just did LHR DTW LAX SYD LAX SEA LHR - I'd def recommend Comfort+ at a minimum, especially if the bulkhead is open.

LAX SYD is very, very long. Even in Delta One, I thought we were never going to get there when I woke up and there was another 8.5 hours to go.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
These questions are total personal preference and financial situation. Some people will say anything but business is intolerable. Some people will say for $300 each have a massage and a spa day in Sydney and you'll feel better than getting a couple extra inches of legroom for 14 hours.

Personally I have done F, J E+, and E- on this route and if I'm spending my own money I sit in the back and it works just fine.
BHammy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:30 pm

Im booked LAX-SYD, SYD-LAX next month after having done this flight a few times. Was able to do the 35K point upgrade to D1 on the return flight on a Y fare (seat 12A).

My question is on the LAX-SYD leg: there are still 20 sets of 3 seats open behind C+ and Im thinking a row of 3 would be great or at least an empty middle seat is preferable to 44A (B and C are open also)?

Thanks for the tip about not sitting in the row behind C+
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by fredq2
Im booked LAX-SYD, SYD-LAX next month after having done this flight a few times. Was able to do the 35K point upgrade to D1 on the return flight on a Y fare (seat 12A).

My question is on the LAX-SYD leg: there are still 20 sets of 3 seats open behind C+ and Im thinking a row of 3 would be great or at least an empty middle seat is preferable to 44A (B and C are open also)?

Thanks for the tip about not sitting in the row behind C+
The empty middle seat is great, unfortunately there are no guarantees that it remains empty. That's the biggest problem, seems to be luck of the draw.
BHammy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any downside to row 44? Because of timing looks like my flight home in a few weeks has to be on the DL flight instead of the VA flight (morning meeting means 1030am VA departure is a no-go) and I've never been on a DL 777.

C+ is basically sold out (except one middle seat) but row 44C and 44G are both empty. I assume it's a no-brainer to go with one of those unless those seats are hard as a rock because they are exit row (I know the 767 exit row seats that are hard as a rock).

Will put in for the D1 points upgrade but am doubtful it will clear.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by kope49
We will be doing r/t LAX to Sydney on a Delta 777. We have enough miles to cover the fare in coach but not enough for comfort. If I use miles plus cash for the same number of miles plus an additional $300 each we can get the extra 4" legroom. For two 14-15 hour flights it seems like it may be worthwhile (I am 6' - she is 5'3"). But maybe at 6' I can handle the coach legroom? The longest nonstop flight I have taken was Seattle to Dallas so this is a big difference. Any thoughts?
I'm not as tall as you (5'10") but over 4 hours I get very stiff in a regular economy legroom. Heck, on a 3.5hr bus ride recently I got off the bus with nasty leg cramps. No way could I do that for 15 hours.
To be honest, I didn't hesitate to pony up for J on this route (did not go on delta) but if that isn't an option I'd at least pay for C+.

​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might want to check the dates of the posts.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Might want to check the dates of the posts.
+1.

I bumped it up for input on row 44 vs. C+ middle - still looking for input there
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Any downside to row 44? Because of timing looks like my flight home in a few weeks has to be on the DL flight instead of the VA flight (morning meeting means 1030am VA departure is a no-go) and I've never been on a DL 777.

C+ is basically sold out (except one middle seat) but row 44C and 44G are both empty. I assume it's a no-brainer to go with one of those unless those seats are hard as a rock because they are exit row (I know the 767 exit row seats that are hard as a rock).

Will put in for the D1 points upgrade but am doubtful it will clear.
i assume these are the exit row seats by the doors back in economy. I flew both ways in the left-side aisle seat last November and it was great. Tons of room, seats are fine. They have the screens in the arms so a little narrower physical butt space, but that’s never been an issue for me. I’ve had times in the past where people would trod on my legs going down the aisle or congregating around the bathroom, but I found I could just stretch out to claim my space and the media screen+arm is a good shield people will avoid bumping into. If you can’t get into Delta One it’s got to be the best way to ride.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta, United
The std exit row seats are great and have plenty of room. After take off I put my carryon on the floor and prop my feet on it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo

i assume these are the exit row seats by the doors back in economy. I flew both ways in the left-side aisle seat last November and it was great. Tons of room, seats are fine. They have the screens in the arms so a little narrower physical butt space, but that’s never been an issue for me. I’ve had times in the past where people would trod on my legs going down the aisle or congregating around the bathroom, but I found I could just stretch out to claim my space and the media screen+arm is a good shield people will avoid bumping into. If you can’t get into Delta One it’s got to be the best way to ride.
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The std exit row seats are great and have plenty of room. After take off I put my carryon on the floor and prop my feet on it.
Perfect thanks! I'll stick with DL in that case -- narrowness isn't an issue it was just concern about the seat padding -- carryon is a good call -- and I know the media screen arm helps a lot
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:11 am

Has anyone sat in Comfort+ bulkhead row 30 of the retrofitted 4 class 777's that recently started flying this route? How was the legroom?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rktj
Has anyone sat in Comfort+ bulkhead row 30 of the retrofitted 4 class 777's that recently started flying this route? How was the legroom?
Yes - the legroom was great - but half of C+ was empty so I moved to an empty cluster of 3 seats in 32 and had a lie flat seat to myself

All of C+ on the refurb 777 is great but they are some of the last seats to be assigned given half the Y seats and C+ and the other half are main cabin

Bulkhead is nice but always nice to have the option to lift the armrest in case the seat next to you is empty, which you can't do in a bulkhead as the armrests are stationary
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, QF
Newbie to Delta Sky Miles here, I want to book a RT flight LAX-SYD...I have 80k in Delta miles....so I have a choice of booking either DL or VA flat out Y and only pay taxes...or with DL I can upgrade to C+ for $450 or I can book with miles VA flight then upgrade $150 each direction for Economy X through seat selection.

Which seems like a better use of miles + cash to get a better seat/experience, worst case I just use miles and pay taxes but with such a long flight would like to upgrade something?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.