Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using miles while maintaining Medallion qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:09 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM

I want to make sure I understand correctly the specifics of earning MQM/MQD:

1) If I fly and pay $$ for my ticket, I would earn both.
2) If I book my ticket with miles, I would get neither.
3) If I book via "pay with miles" to knock off a few hundred $$ off the price, would I get a credit for the same MQM's as in scenario 1, or would it be reduced? I'm assuming MQD would be only for what was actually paid in $$.

If you looking to earn/keep a medallion, what is the best strategy of utilizing miles? Or is it best to only use miles to book fares for your spouse/child, and pay $$ for your own ticket?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oyalkut

3) If I book via "pay with miles" to knock off a few hundred $$ off the price, would I get a credit for the same MQM's as in scenario 1, or would it be reduced? I'm assuming MQD would be only for what was actually paid in $$.

If you looking to earn/keep a medallion, what is the best strategy of utilizing miles? Or is it best to only use miles to book fares for your spouse/child, and pay $$ for your own ticket?

Thanks!
Best to use for the others and pay for yourself.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:43 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Thanks! I figured as much. Unfortunately this revelation came to me after I already paid for 4 of my upcoming flights with miles. Hopefully schedule changes will allow me to cancel/re-book better.

Still would love to know the answer to my #3 scenario above
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks! I figured as much. Unfortunately this revelation came to me after I already paid for 4 of my upcoming flights with miles. Hopefully schedule changes will allow me to cancel/re-book better.

Still would love to know the answer to my #3 scenario above
Yes PWM get normal MQM credit. Reduced RDM/MQD based on actual payment.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
There are scenarios where PWM can actually be a good deal, particularly at the end of the year, if you're short a significant number of MQMs, good on MQDs, looking to hit PM or DM and can find a "reasonable" D1 fare (important to note that, to use PWM, ALL flights in the itinera MUST be on DL metal with DL codes).
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:10 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Yes PWM get normal MQM credit. Reduced RDM/MQD based on actual payment.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by jimrpa
There are scenarios where PWM can actually be a good deal, particularly at the end of the year, if you're short a significant number of MQMs, good on MQDs, looking to hit PM or DM and can find a "reasonable" D1 fare (important to note that, to use PWM, ALL flights in the itinera MUST be on DL metal with DL codes).

I'm generally good on MQDs with the CC waiver, so thinking this would be useful for upgrades.

For example, my common route is LGA-FLL. Flight next week is $147 one way in the main cabin, but $238 in FC. I would not pay extra ~$100 for FC on a 2 hr flight, but I would be willing to pay that difference in miles. So thinking a partial PWM is probably the best way to do it going forward. Just wanted to make sure this wont cause me to lose MQMs that I need to keep up with the medallion.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Thanks!
Full MQM, however MQD and RDMs are reduced based on how many miles you use to pay. For example a $300 ticket if 10,000 miles are used to reduce it to $200....youd only earn $200 MQD (minus taxes etc) and then only earn RDMs based on that $200 spend.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
There was a time also when you used PWM and the amount of miles was more that the base fare you didn't get MQM's either. So if a fare was $400 and $51 is taxes and you used 35000 miles you got no MQM's.

I don't know if that is still true.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:53 am
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
There was a time also when you used PWM and the amount of miles was more that the base fare you didn't get MQM's either. So if a fare was $400 and $51 is taxes and you used 35000 miles you got no MQM's.

I don't know if that is still true.

Good to know. the whole point is to retain MQM's so I'll have to be careful to use miles only for the base fare portion
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Good to know. the whole point is to retain MQM's so I'll have to be careful to use miles only for the base fare portion
I flew ATL-TPA using PWM for the entire ticket (taxes and all) in June and received MQMs.

I've used PWM several times with the wife for the difference between coach and first.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't remember this ever being the case. Even if it was, it's not the case anymore.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't remember this ever being the case. Even if it was, it's not the case anymore.
I do remember hearing about something like this, but I don't remember the details or roughly when it was true.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Ditto. I pay cash for myself and use miles for my wife and son. Unfortunately that means they don't get upgraded, but sometimes a little "me time" in first isn't the worst thing in the world.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by acrophobia
...but sometimes a little "me time" in first isn't the worst thing in the world...
My wife completely agrees, as I always give her my upgrade!

And yes, I always pay for me, and the family travels on my miles.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:08 pm
formerly oyalkut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ULDB65
My wife completely agrees, as I always give her my upgrade!

Good husband bonus points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.