Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When will Delta's Basic Economy not come with overhead bin space like United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Coming soon?

Seems it made the rounds on social media today, although it was announced in November a couple weeks ago.

Think Delta will jump on this 'add-on'? It's mostly the same minus the overhead bin space. With the removal of that everything that used to be included is gone I believe.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Coming soon?

Seems it made the rounds on social media today, although it was announced in November a couple weeks ago.

Think Delta will jump on this 'add-on'? It's mostly the same minus the overhead bin space. With the removal of that everything that used to be included is gone I believe.
This was already mostly hashed out in another thread. Bottom line most don't expect it to work. It'll be too time consuming and costly for UA. It would need to be an all or nothing approach for the Y cabin. Either everyone needs to pay a fee to carryon in Y or no one does.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Apologies.

Which thread? I must have missed it.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This was already mostly hashed out in another thread. Bottom line most don't expect it to work. It'll be too time consuming and costly for UA. It would need to be an all or nothing approach for the Y cabin. Either everyone needs to pay a fee to carryon in Y or no one does.
Even if they require basic fares to board last, what happens to people in other boarding groups who arrive toward the end of boarding? How does UA filter them out and ensure that they aren't denied bin space?

I agree that it's a ridiculous idea. Just when it looked like UA was becoming tolerable again, they do something like this. I though Munoz was supposed to be the "good" airline CEO...

It could never work on DL. We all know that the boarding process is a disaster as is. I really don't see GAs going along and actually enforcing it. In my limited experience, F9's GAs don't enforce their overhead bin charges. Do we really expect DL to?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

I don't expect anyone to enforce it. It seems at best a way to maybe cut down on some overhead bin space that is used by someone following the rules.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Which thread? I must have missed it.
In the United forum. It'll never happen on Delta. United just copies Delta's devaluations, and then tweaks it further to make it even worse.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Between this and United's "New Polaris" business class they are quickly becoming a larger version of Spirit.

The much touted Polaris from reviews I have read is disappointing at best, especially when United still has 8 across in international business.

Yes yes i know that they are going to start the retrofit in 2017, but that is not immediate, and will take years to complete.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Between this and United's "New Polaris" business class they are quickly becoming a larger version of Spirit.

The much touted Polaris from reviews I have read is disappointing at best, especially when United still has 8 across in international business.

Yes yes i know that they are going to start the retrofit in 2017, but that is not immediate, and will take years to complete.
Not sure how Polaris is a negative. At this point all that has changed is the name I believe. The first Polaris aircraft won't enter service till January or February. It'll be 2-2-2 all aisle access. Not sure where you're getting 8 across from. Of course it'll take time to refit existing planes.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:27 am
Suspended

Not sure how Polaris is a negative. At this point all that has changed is the name I believe. The first Polaris aircraft won't enter service till January or February. It'll be 2-2-2 all aisle access. Not sure where you're getting 8 across from. Of course it'll take time to refit existing planes.
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/uni...siness-review/
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Did you read the article?
All that has changed is name and the soft product. The photo is NOT of a Polaris aircraft. The Polaris cabin doesn't start coming online till January or February. 747s are being retired and IFC is going away.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
All that has changed is name and the soft product. The photo is NOT of a Polaris aircraft. The Polaris cabin doesn't start coming online till January or February. 747s are being retired and IFC is going away.
United already has marketed those 747 seats as part of the Polaris cabin.

How does your 2-2-2 layout give all business class passengers aisle access (ie, an aisle seat)? If it involves yet more of the backward facing seats, then I'm not interested unless it's at a substantial discount.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
United already has marketed those 747 seats as part of the Polaris cabin.

How does your 2-2-2 layout give all business class passengers aisle access (ie, an aisle seat)? If it involves yet more of the backward facing seats, then I'm not interested unless it's at a substantial discount.
No the name of the cabin has changed. As the article points out the Polaris hard product is not live yet. There's no Polaris seats at this point in time. 1 plane will be live in next month or two. Followed by more new planes and reconfigures. 747s aren't getting the new Polaris seating.

All forward facing.

Last edited by flyerCO; Dec 7, 2016 at 3:17 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:13 am
Suspended

I did, United is branding this 2-4-2 flight as Polaris.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I did, United is branding this 2-4-2 flight as Polaris.
It's a name change across the board. If you read the article it clearly states this is NOT Polaris SEATING. 747s are being retired and thus they're not getting Polaris seating.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:42 am

I'm always amazed at what customers will put up with in order to save $20.

Personally I am all for delta unbundling everything and offering as many classes of service as possible. Let people on a budget be on a budget. Allow those who have a more flexible budget spend accordingly.

I'd love if delta offered a product that was a flat bed seat and nothing more. Don't need food, don't need drinks, don't need a 3rd checked bag. Just let me have a comfortable place to work and rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.