Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can Amex Delta free "companion" ticket be used in Comfort Seating?

Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

maybe wrong forum to ask about Amex Delta Platinum card.

So, with this card I get one annual free "companion" ticket.

Is it really so that this can't be used with in Delta Comfort Seating?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. Main coach only and not eligible for C+ or FC upgrades.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
You can access the exit rows and you can treat yourself to a few 20% off boozy beverages with that shiny platinum amex of yours.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:41 pm

When I used my companion cert on flights last week, I did get a check-in offer to upgrade to C+ for $79 (between DTW & SFO).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
When I used my companion cert on flights last week, I did get a check-in offer to upgrade to C+ for $79 (between DTW & SFO).
Did you earn miles on that fare? Mqm/mqd/rdm?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ems717
Did you earn miles on that fare? Mqm/mqd/rdm?
The paid passenger gets miles/MQM's/etc., the companion does not. The paid passenger does not have to be the companion pass holder.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
The paid passenger gets miles/MQM's/etc., the companion does not. The paid passenger does not have to be the companion pass holder.
You don't get any MQMs for purchasing C+. If fact, doesn't the check in purchases not get anything?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Previous Replies are Correct

Wife and I both have our own Delta Amex Platinum cards for the sake of the MQD waiver. I can confirm:

1. The designated companion gets no miles.
2. No free upgrade to C+ ever, but one can select exit rows in C-.
3. Not a true BOGO because taxes are still due for the companion.
4. If there are empty seats in first after all upgrades and all non-rev's clear into first *and* if the gate agent and the gods smile upon you, then you might be upgraded to first. (Happened once on SAN-LAX.)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
4. If there are empty seats in first after all upgrades and all non-rev's clear into first *and* if the gate agent and the gods smile upon you, then you might be upgraded to first. (Happened once on SAN-LAX.)
Yes, it can happen. You and companion cannot be added to the upgrade list, the computer simply won't allow it. However, GAs can assign any passenger any seat. It's the latter how this can happen.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Yes, it can happen. You and companion cannot be added to the upgrade list, the computer simply won't allow it. However, GAs can assign any passenger any seat. It's the latter how this can happen.
Which explains why the agent called us up to podium for our new boarding passes instead of letting the machine spit out new seat assignments.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Which explains why the agent called us up to podium for our new boarding passes instead of letting the machine spit out new seat assignments.
The machine can still print out the slip with new seating. It's just the agent has to process it manually, thus normally will print a new BP as part of that process.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:53 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I dropped my card because unless you get a gate agent who is feeling nice, you're sitting in C- no matter what. Almost no medallion benefits.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Full on coach for both of you on companion ticket offer. I've called and asked and no-go on even C+ upgrades. Best to use on short but expensive routes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.