Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overnight DL domestic-to-international layover at ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming trip on DL, LAX-ATL-NAS.

It's booked as a single ticket, though LAX-ATL is one day, and ATL-NAS is the next morning, 14 hours later, or so.

I have a few questions about how a layover like that is handled by DL and the airport:

- If we check bags at LAX, does DL just check them all the way through to NAS the next day, or do we need to pick them up at ATL and recheck them?
- If so, can we just go through security at the domestic terminal the next morning, since that's where all of the hotel shuttles drop off? (seems like several people have asked this before, but I'm not clear on the answer)
- If we do have to pick up / recheck, then I would assume we have to check in and check our bags at the International terminal.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
You can check them all the way to your final destination. Since it's less than 24 hrs, you can treat it your checked bags just like any layover. So on your ATL-NAS flight, you just go through security. You can go to either the domestic terminal or international terminal, depending on which hotel you are staying at.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
You can check them all the way to your final destination. Since it's less than 24 hrs, you can treat it your checked bags just like any layover. So on your ATL-NAS flight, you just go through security. You can go to either the domestic terminal or international terminal, depending on which hotel you are staying at.
Are you sure? I thought DL policy was that passengers must retrieve checked bags if the connection is over something like eight hours.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? I thought DL policy was that passengers must retrieve checked bags if the connection is over something like eight hours.
I believe it's 12 hours.

But seriously you do not want your bag to sit in the airport overnight regardless of if DL will let you.

That is a lot of time for someone to go through your bag to steal things.

It's also more likely to get lost. They will set it aside as there will not be a cart assigned yet for a flight tomorrow. Then something gets pushed in front of it, and now it's lost and even if they find it, it's likely going to be at least a full day until it gets to you.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, CoC says retrieval is mandatory for connections over 12 hours (optional for 6-12 hours). However, others have reported some leniency --

International Flight Overnight Layover
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even if DL will hold the bags and not make you re-check, I would still pick them up in ATL. I wouldn't want my bag sitting in an airport overnight as others said, especially in ATL.

If you are concerned about being hit with a bag fee twice, perhaps they can not charge you when you go back to the airport, but I'd confirm that with an agent in LAX.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Even if DL will hold the bags and not make you re-check, I would still pick them up in ATL. I wouldn't want my bag sitting in an airport overnight as others said, especially in ATL.
To be honest, I hadn't really considered that I would have a choice in the matter. I just figured either they would be checked all the way, or they wouldn't. If I can tell the agent at LAX that I would prefer to pick them up at ATL, that's certainly what I'll do.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by laxrdu
To be honest, I hadn't really considered that I would have a choice in the matter. I just figured either they would be checked all the way, or they wouldn't. If I can tell the agent at LAX that I would prefer to pick them up at ATL, that's certainly what I'll do.
Just watch carefully and make sure that the tag is correct before your bag gies away. I've seen agents not pay attention and do it automatically the way they think it should be despite conversation and agreement about whether or not the bag will be checked through.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Just watch carefully and make sure that the tag is correct before your bag gies away. I've seen agents not pay attention and do it automatically the way they think it should be despite conversation and agreement about whether or not the bag will be checked through.
Actually, this should be done every time you travel (regardless of length of connection). The really good agents show you the tags before they put them on the bags. Unfortunately, many agents do not do this.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
Nope. It's 12hrs for bags max. You're confusing a stopover/connection time limit for bags rules.

6hrs or more you can short check. 12hrs or more you must short check.

As for rechecking bags, you can drop them at domestic terminal. No need to goto international. Only reason to go there is if flying an international airline.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. It's 12hrs for bags max. You're confusing a stopover/connection time limit for bags rules.

6hrs or more you can short check. 12hrs or more you must short check.

As for rechecking bags, you can drop them at domestic terminal. No need to goto international. Only reason to go there is if flying an international airline.
In fact, be careful about voluntarily going to ATL F to check in. You might find that there is no elite or PreCheck line open for TSA security.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
In fact, be careful about voluntarily going to ATL F to check in. You might find that there is no elite or PreCheck line open for TSA security.
Don't know of an elite line at F, but PreCheck has always been open when I've had to go to customs to clear a Carnet and at most 3 people in line there - compared to domestic Pre that is always dozens deep (but usually 2-3 agents make things go pretty quick.)
Plus F Skyclub is one of the nicer ones as well as The Club is right there after security.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
FWIW have never had an issue doing this on "one fare;" two weeks ago the check-in agent declared "at Delta we always check through to final destination even interline" "unless you have separate tickets on a non-partner." YMMV, but I wouldn't be concerned unless you have chained two OW fares, LAX->ATL and ATL->NAS.
If you short check and pick up in ATL, Delta they will not allow you to recheck night before at ATL in-my-experience.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kthomas
FWIW have never had an issue doing this on "one fare;" two weeks ago the check-in agent declared "at Delta we always check through to final destination even interline" "unless you have separate tickets on a non-partner." YMMV, but I wouldn't be concerned unless you have chained two OW fares, LAX->ATL and ATL->NAS.
If you short check and pick up in ATL, Delta they will not allow you to recheck night before at ATL in-my-experience.
DL CoC requires you to pickup bags with connections over 12hrs. The system will automatically print the bag tag to ATL and not onward. I'm doubting you asked about if the connection was over 12hrs, because the rest of what you say is true.

One exception is LHR/CDG/AMS. Bags can be through checked if connection at those airports is over 24hrs. Those airports have electronic bag storage machines. No having the bag lying on the ground waiting for a cart. Once the cart is available the machine pulls the bag, sends it on its way.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by BHammy
Don't know of an elite line at F, but PreCheck has always been open when I've had to go to customs to clear a Carnet and at most 3 people in line there - compared to domestic Pre that is always dozens deep (but usually 2-3 agents make things go pretty quick.)
Plus F Skyclub is one of the nicer ones as well as The Club is right there after security.
I've experienced this after early morning international arrivals into F when I've exited and gone upstairs to try to avoid long lines for TSA security after exiting customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.