Econ in AF, KLM or Alitalia? Upgrade?

Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, DL Plat
Econ in AF, KLM or Alitalia? Upgrade?

I have to fly econ with the family (four of us total) from MIA-VCE and have three connecting options. Here are the choices:
MIA-CDG on AF 777-300
MIA-AMS on KLM A330-300
MIA-FCO on Alitalia A330

They are all on V class, super low economy. I'm Plat with DL. I haven't flown in the back in quite a while. Any thoughts on which might be the best option for comfort. Any chance for purchasing upgrades with miles on any of these?

And input is appreciated.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BACH777
I have to fly econ with the family (four of us total) from MIA-VCE and have three connecting options. Here are the choices:
MIA-CDG on AF 777-300
MIA-AMS on KLM A330-300
MIA-FCO on Alitalia A330

They are all on V class, super low economy. I'm Plat with DL. I haven't flown in the back in quite a while. Any thoughts on which might be the best option for comfort. Any chance for purchasing upgrades with miles on any of these?

And input is appreciated.
AF/KLM offer DoD upgrades for cash or miles. You can upgrade before then, but it requires a higher economy fare class.

However if going to be stuck in economy I would go with AZ, then AF, and finally KLM. However AZ can be more expensive usually.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, DL Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AF/KLM offer DoD upgrades for cash or miles. You can upgrade before then, but it requires a higher economy fare class.

However if going to be stuck in economy I would go with AZ, then AF, and finally KLM. However AZ can be more expensive usually.
They are all approx. the same price (not worth choosing one over another based on the difference) so we will go with AZ. It will be a loooonnnnggg flight.

Off chance, would you know the range of miles or cash that they typically offer upgrades for on DoD? It's probably better to connect in FCO than CDG anyway. It was a mess when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Here's a whole thread on upgrading for cash on AF:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...s-cash-af.html

In short, keep in mind there is a W cabin between Y and J, and and by DoD it's quite possible there won't be 4 seats together or at all in the cabin you want to upgrade to.

Here's AZ bidding program.

If you're upgrading with miles, are you trying to use Skymiles (which would typically be difficult to apply in this situation), or do you have miles available in each program?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:53 am

I'd scratch the AF flight from the list with those 17 inch seats on their 777's... that plane is so cramped.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - I have had horrible experiences getting AZ to put me in their "extra legroom" or whatever they call it seats. Their call center in Albania is awful and most agents rude. Whatever you do, try to avoid AZ ticket stock at least.

AZ will assign the seats to you at the airport for free, if any are left. I called maybe 10 times to get seats ahead of time and was shot down every time. Those super kind agents also left notes every time, so the Supervisor at check in at JFK thought it funny to mention the notes they left. Ugh. Got 3 of 4 extra legroom seats for my party; 1 person sat in a normal seat.

AF and KLM are happy to assign seats ahead of time. Service is similar to AZ. Greater chance of free upgrade on AF (to W). And forget about any sort of DoD upgrades on AZ - they asked for 1800 EUR per seat at the gate for a lie flat seat when I was on a V fare.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Other things being equal, AMS would be the easiest connection and generally most pleasant airport experience.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for a party of four, an A330 with the 2-4-2 layout is probably a better option in terms of coach seating, particularly if you can get two pairs in adjacent (or nearby) rows

if the AF 773 is 3-4-3 the center group is a reasonable option, but of course the seats would likely be narrower than in 3-3-3

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm Reason: fat thumb, no reading glasses ... thx JClasstraveller
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
AZ has terrible performances on some flights with regular delays. Their IT is terrible and I confirm for the seating. Also, they seems to never use anything else than buses for their short/medium haul flights.

The food and coffee is nice though.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
AF upgrades are not always offered, and not offered on a first come, first serve basis. Yesterday I was flying with three other passengers on an AF flight. Those of us with status (DL PM, DL Gold) were not offered an upgrade, while those without a FQTV number on their PNR received an upgrade offer.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Avoid the 777 at 10-abreast. Avoid no matter how cheap it is.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I'd go with KL.
+ AMS is definitely the easier to connect through.
+ Any odds of getting an upgrade (if you want to go after an op-up I would actually split your ticket from the rest of your family's ticket), at least get you from economy into business.
+ 2-3-2 beats 3-4-3 any day
- food on AF is typically better
+AZ I wouldn't consider reliable enough + FCO not that easy to connect through
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jrl767
for a party of four, an A330 with the 2-3-2 layout is probably a better option in terms of coach seating, particularly if you can get two pairs in adjacent (or nearby) rows

if the AF 773 is 3-4-3 the center group is a reasonable option, but of course the seats would likely be narrower than in 3-3-3
A330 is 2-4-2 in economy...
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
AF upgrades are not always offered, and not offered on a first come, first serve basis. Yesterday I was flying with three other passengers on an AF flight. Those of us with status (DL PM, DL Gold) were not offered an upgrade, while those without a FQTV number on their PNR received an upgrade offer.
You've can always request one. They even have signs posted making people aware. One doesn't need to wait for the system to offer it. It's truly 1st come, 1st served. This includes J to F upgrades.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You've can always request one. They even have signs posted making people aware. One doesn't need to wait for the system to offer it. It's truly 1st come, 1st served. This includes J to F upgrades.
Yes, at the airport, this is possible. However, it seems to be a bit difficult when flying on DL stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.