BKK alternatives with in cabin dogs

Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
BKK alternatives with in cabin dogs

I was planning AUS-BKK with in cabin dogs. Now it's pulled and no US airline flies to BKK. Ideas on how to pull this off?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I was planning AUS-BKK with in cabin dogs. Now it's pulled and no US airline flies to BKK. Ideas on how to pull this off?
UA still Flys NRT-BKK. Regardless even when DL flew there you had to connect in NRT. I'm not sure on Japanese allowance for such case. Finally did you check that the pet is allowed at all into Thailand as a cabin pet?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
UA still Flys NRT-BKK....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-now-gone.html
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorry, GOOGLE search turned up result for a flight searching UA NRT-BKK. It normally doesn't show flight status for codeshare searching this way. However of course this time it did.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP's post isn't related to Delta or SkyMiles. There is a dedicated Travel with Pets forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets-645/
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You can fly DL to ICN and connect there to BKK on KE, if you want to keep it on Skyteam. KE accepts pets in the cabin, but they have a 5kg (including carrier) weight limit for carry-on pets.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Thanks

Thanks I will look on pet thread. But just to confirm 1. UA hasn't flown NRT-BKK for years. ANA code shares. 2. KE/DL combo means $200 twice. 3. 5kg total is a problem. Dog is 13lb. Annoying they don't allow their usual 7kg carry on allowance. 4. Yes I have checked. Thailand allows entry. Requires docs of course.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Not sure this site is 100% accurate, but I believe you may be SOL. Sorry.

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_rules.cfm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Update: Have you looked into going East? Air France and KLM look to take dogs, though I don't know what transit via Europe might entail in terms of documentation or restrictions.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Thanks I will look on pet thread. But just to confirm 1. UA hasn't flown NRT-BKK for years. ANA code shares. 2. KE/DL combo means $200 twice. 3. 5kg total is a problem. Dog is 13lb. Annoying they don't allow their usual 7kg carry on allowance. 4. Yes I have checked. Thailand allows entry. Requires docs of course.
The pet travel forum had a very recent thread from someone trying to get to ICN with a larger-than-5kg dog. Much of what's discussed there applies to you, especially the part about having to go via Europe as there's no airlines allowing carryon pets heavier than 5kgs to BKK transpacific.

KE charges 'only' $150 for carry-on pets intra-Asia. And in my experience they aren't sticklers about the weight limit. Plus, you'd be just connecting (DL should be able to check you in all the way and print your onward BP). With no visit to a landside check-in counter, chances that your dog will be weighed are rather slim. It's a risk, though.

No way around paying the fee twice in any scenario except you drove to DFW and went on LH via Europe DFW-FRA-BKK all on one ticket. This would cost all of $100 in pet fees.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Update: Have you looked into going East? Air France and KLM look to take dogs, though I don't know what transit via Europe might entail in terms of documentation or restrictions.
If just transiting (without leaving the airport) one does not enter the EU and does not need to adhere to EU animal entry requirements.
As Thailand has similar policies for admitting animals, OP should be able to take the dog ouside during the layover without any issues, though.

Also, I have entered the EU and Switzerland way more than 100 times with animals over the years, coming from all over the world, and was asked to provide animal paperwork twice. Twice. Once in FRA, once in MUC. And only in MUC the agents were really thorough, checking the chip, verifying the vaccination records and confiscating the food (which was even bought in the EU and taken on the trip...).
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Incredibly helpful thanks

Originally Posted by bhomburg
The pet travel forum had a very recent thread from someone trying to get to ICN with a larger-than-5kg dog. Much of what's discussed there applies to you, especially the part about having to go via Europe as there's no airlines allowing carryon pets heavier than 5kgs to BKK transpacific.

KE charges 'only' $150 for carry-on pets intra-Asia. And in my experience they aren't sticklers about the weight limit. Plus, you'd be just connecting (DL should be able to check you in all the way and print your onward BP). With no visit to a landside check-in counter, chances that your dog will be weighed are rather slim. It's a risk, though.

No way around paying the fee twice in any scenario except you drove to DFW and went on LH via Europe DFW-FRA-BKK all on one ticket. This would cost all of $100 in pet fees.
This is all (this reply and the next one from you) great info thanks. LH looks like the solution to the heavy >5kg <8kg dogs. Works from IAH too. I think 2 tickets on LH and 2 for the lighter dogs (<5kg on KE all the way. Too risky if dogs over 5kg on KE. Mileage tickets from UA on LH looks a good bet as we only want one way for two people.

Thx
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Helpful site

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Not sure this site is 100% accurate, but I believe you may be SOL. Sorry.

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_rules.cfm
This is actually a good site - it has lots of erroneous posts but reading them carefully sorts out the good from bad info thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.