Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Medallion upgrades on domestic return legs of int'l?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

Howdy again,

@Delta Twitter just told me that I cannot upgrade on the domestic RT leg of an international trip landing ATL. (I am seeing this leg as "upgrade ineligible" online).

I have never seen this before. Is the agent just wrong here?

TIA, Ken
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Is this a continuation of a nonstop?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by huskerchad
Is this a continuation of a nonstop?
Good question. Nope. Change of flight #, change of equipment. Booked with AF #s on the return routing (because the agent said she needed to do that, and it probably was necessary for the fare), assumed that was the issue with online seat selection/upgrades.

Last edited by kthomas; Nov 30, 2016 at 5:04 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kthomas
Good question. Nope. Change of flight #, change of equipment. Booked with AF #s on the return routing (because the agent said she needed to do that, and it probably was necessary for the fare), assumed that was the issue with online seat selection/upgrades.
So your DL operated domestic connecting flight in question was booked as a codeshare with an AF flight number? That might be the source of the problem with upgrade eligibility.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So your DL operated domestic connecting flight in question was booked as a codeshare with an AF flight number? That might be the source of the problem with upgrade eligibility.
Yes. Assuming SNAFU there. I was allowed to select into C+ on the international leg into ATL at booking (booking agent may have done that), and the @Delta agent today put my split companion into C+ at T-48 for the ->ATL leg; I'm not able to select into C+ on the final domestic leg. Agent roulette seems to prevail. I'll try again via Medallion line at <T-24 or from Gogo on the way; no big deal, as C+ inventory is above 9 and F pretty high; but it was quite odd to have an agent say we can't upgrade on connecting flights.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
On Sunday I flew NRT-DTW-JFK. Upon landing in DTW I found that I was not on the upgrade list for first for the JFK leg even though I confirmed that my app showed "upgrade requested" for that leg.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I have a return in a few days. Just looked at the reservation. The first leg is on FM, the second leg is PVG-LAX on DL. The third leg is LAX-ATL on DL. The third leg does show as being upgrade eligible. So there has been no change when it's DL metal/ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:23 am
Original Poster

FWIW neither airline seemed to be able to process a Kosher meal request in this situation either, though AF did have a Kosher meal for me on the incoming into CDG this morning.
SNAFU here seems entirely an issue of DL metal, DL ticket, AF flight #s.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Yes, this has happened to me twice on my NRT-DTW-ATL. I don't know why DL does this, although you are changing planes it is considered the same leg of the international part. Usually the flight # is the same for both legs. You also don't get an extra segment and less MQMs.
Next time make sure you are booking 2 separate itinerary.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Eddie98
Yes, this has happened to me twice on my NRT-DTW-ATL. I don't know why DL does this, although you are changing planes it is considered the same leg of the international part. Usually the flight # is the same for both legs. You also don't get an extra segment and less MQMs.
Next time make sure you are booking 2 separate itinerary.
This is a common problem on international itineraries when the international and domestic segments are considered one direct (but not non-stop) flight, with the same flight number. However, in the OP's situation this is not the case; he stated that the domestic flight does not have the same flight # as the international one.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Poster

^^ yes; the problem here seems to be the AF flight #s and that neither airline seems to be able to do much in that situation, combined with a normal amount of confusion and finger pointing when something can't be done.
The latest is that I must wait to the gait to be activated for the "standby list," it not being clear that the agents involved understood that C+ seating is really what is significant here...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

This happens to me every month when I return home from Africa through CDG on an AF ticket.

I have figured out that even though I check into AF website for my flights, when I am in CDG or during my TATL flight, I need to use @Delta to check in with Delta for my final leg ATL-JAX or JFK-JAX. Then and only then do I appear on the upgrade list. Sounds weird, but I have to do it every trip or I will not be on the upgrade list. I must say @Delta is AWESOME. They are always able to help me with my requests...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAX PAX
This happens to me every month when I return home from Africa through CDG on an AF ticket.

I have figured out that even though I check into AF website for my flights, when I am in CDG or during my TATL flight, I need to use @Delta to check in with Delta for my final leg ATL-JAX or JFK-JAX. Then and only then do I appear on the upgrade list. Sounds weird, but I have to do it every trip or I will not be on the upgrade list. I must say @Delta is AWESOME. They are always able to help me with my requests...
Noted. Will try next time I'm in this situation.

As it was, agent at the F SkyClub was able to get me onto the list "you'll have to go to the gate to activate" but not my companion "see what the gate agent can do." We got there at T-35+ but boarding already had just started, I was already assigned 1A (here now) but companion stuck in non-premium seat.

(Note, one issue here on both was that there was *no way to get a premium seat, period, even by paying*, evidently because AF flight #. )

Last edited by kthomas; Dec 2, 2016 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
There's always an issue when there's some codeshare involved. The skyclub agent had to spend 15min typing to get me on the list as I was on a non Delta number. On the return, I didn't encountered a competent enough agent to get me on the list though.

Took the same routing, same flights few months later being on a pure DL ticket and flights number and then no issues at all.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Data point:

Flew DL coded KE flight HKG ICN to catch DL ICN DTW flight due to JKG SEA not operated daily anymore.
DTW YYZ show upgrade requested but at T-24 was not on the upgrade list according to DL app.
Mentioned this to SC TAs at DTW and halfway through my shower I got notification that I am on the list and cleared into F seconds after

I think there are issue with upgrade lists when the first flights are not DL operated on an intl itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.