Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning MQM on KE?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by acrophobia
You are probably right that I was a little sloppy with my terminology above. I booked flight DL7910, which is operated by Korean Air. The agent was aware of that, and told me that would be ineligible for MQD or MQM as per new rules - the website seems to confirm this for MQD but is confusing (at least to me) on the subject of MQM.

I really wish Delta would add transparency to the process by telling you the number of MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs you will earn upon completion of your itinerary at booking.

In any event, I will be sure to update you all on this thread as to what ends up ultimately happening with that segment a few days after I fly it. I hope my pessimism proves unfounded.
You get MQD for ANY DL coded or operated flight. This is because they know how much was spent. Anytime you fly a DL coded flight you will get accrual at the DL rate regardless of who operates the flight.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
If you have KE flight numbers, even if on a 006 ticket, you will be subject to the KE earning (unearning) chart.
No, a 006 DL ticket with KE-marketed flight would earn miles based on the price of the ticket. Only a KE marketed and non-DL-ticketed KE ticket would earn under the Group 4 chart.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
No, a 006 DL ticket with KE-marketed flight would earn miles based on the price of the ticket. Only a KE marketed and non-DL-ticketed KE ticket would earn under the Group 4 chart.
No. Even if on 006 if the flight is KE marketed it earns at KE rate. Zero MQD. Being on 006 stock only matter for difference in earning MQD at per $ spent or based on % of distance&fare class. KE marketed flights earn ZERO MQD under either scenario.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. Even if on 006 if the flight is KE marketed it earns at KE rate. Zero MQD. Being on 006 stock only matter for difference in earning MQD at per $ spent or based on % of distance&fare class. KE marketed flights earn ZERO MQD under either scenario.
I'm referring to RDM, which would earn based on ticket price. MQD/MQM are always zero unless DL-marketed (and I guess ticketed by anyone else in ST except KE).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I'm referring to RDM, which would earn based on ticket price. MQD/MQM are always zero unless DL-marketed (and I guess ticketed by anyone else in ST except KE).
I understand RDM is solely determined by the marketing carrier. If it's KE then it earns based on distance/fare even if on 006 stock. Only the MQD portion changes depending on ticketing stock. RDM isn't ticketing stock driven.

DL marketed ticketed by anyone earns RDM/MQM/MQD. True even if on an UA or KE ticket.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand RDM is solely determined by the marketing carrier. If it's KE then it earns based on distance/fare even if on 006 stock. Only the MQD portion changes depending on ticketing stock. RDM isn't ticketing stock driven.

DL marketed ticketed by anyone earns RDM/MQM/MQD. True even if on an UA or KE ticket.
RDM is definitely not determined solely by marketing carrier. If it's an 006 ticket, RDM will be based on ticket price, not marketing carrier (as DL knows the ticket price). It is MQM earning that varies with marketing carrier. This is from the partner earning page --

"With the SkyMiles program, partner-marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta will earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price, instead of distance flown. "

"Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid"

Note that "miles" above strictly means RDM's (not MQM's). Otherwise, on an 006 issued ticket, your RDM and MQD earning will be based on price, not distance flown (except group 4 carriers where no MQD's are earned if partner marketed). It is only when you are on a partner ticketed AND marketed flight that you use the partner table for RDM/MQD earning.

For MQM earning, you use the DL table for DL marketed flights, and the partner table for partner marketed flights. This does not vary with ticketing carrier.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 3, 2016 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
RDM is definitely not determined solely by marketing carrier. If it's an 006 ticket, RDM will be based on ticket price, not marketing carrier (as DL knows the ticket price). It is MQM earning that varies with marketing carrier. This is from the partner earning page --

"With the SkyMiles program, partner-marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta will earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price, instead of distance flown. "

"Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid"

Note that "miles" above strictly means RDM's (not MQM's). Otherwise, on an 006 issued ticket, your RDM and MQD earning will be based on price, not distance flown (except group 4 carriers where no MQD's are earned if partner marketed). It is only when you are on a partner ticketed AND marketed flight that you use the partner table for RDM/MQD earning.

For MQM earning, you use the DL table for DL marketed flights, and the partner table for partner marketed flights. This does not vary with ticketing carrier.
This thread is about KE flights. KE marketed flights earn zero MQD. I can say from personal experience the SM department insists that on RDM for KE marketed on 006, that the actual policy says otherwise.

Last edited by flyerCO; Dec 3, 2016 at 7:52 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
This thread has been quite useful to me, as I'm about to book a trip to ICN and I was considering giving KE a try.

Looks like as long as I book a DL flight number that's operated by KE, on 006 ticket stock, I will earn the MQMs at 1:1 ratio. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not too concerned about MQDs, I always hit the Amex waiver.

RDMs, well... one more or less Skypeso, I guess.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You've may not have asked the right questions. Ticket number has ZERO to do with credit. The marketing carrier of the flight is what matters. As long as the flight number is coded as DL then it earns, even if it's on UA ticket stock.
A phone agent gave me the same answer. After I read to her what was on the site, she still insisted that I was wrong and that they had just been given information. The issue is not with what the poster asked, it's with the "clarification" the agents have been given, be it they were told the wrong thing or that they were confused by bad instructions. The phone agents are essentially instructing that you will not get full credit on KE OPERATED flights, regardless of ticketing, code-sharing or other legs on the PNR.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:19 pm

I can say from personal experience the SM department insists that on RDM for KE marketed on 006, that the actual policy says otherwise.
The SM department is wrong in its interpretation of its own rules. There are no exceptions made for KE in terms of RDM. If it is KE marketed but ticketed by DL (this can and will happen for routes they do not sell a direct codeshare on), it must earn based on the ticket price DL charged. This is the only correct way.

Any denial of credit is against the rules and should be appealed.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
This thread has been quite useful to me, as I'm about to book a trip to ICN and I was considering giving KE a try.

Looks like as long as I book a DL flight number that's operated by KE, on 006 ticket stock, I will earn the MQMs at 1:1 ratio. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not too concerned about MQDs, I always hit the Amex waiver.

RDMs, well... one more or less Skypeso, I guess.
Actually... how do I get DL to price me a ticket with DL flight numbers on KE metal? I'm not succeeding at delta.com, do I have to start at ITA?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:09 pm

Actually... how do I get DL to price me a ticket with DL flight numbers on KE metal? I'm not succeeding at delta.com, do I have to start at ITA?
It needs to be a codeshare flight. Not all KE flights are DL codeshare flights, but sometimes DL will sell you a seat on a non-codeshare flight as part of an itinerary that otherwise includes DL flights. The flight will have a KE flight number.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It needs to be a codeshare flight. Not all KE flights are DL codeshare flights, but sometimes DL will sell you a seat on a non-codeshare flight as part of an itinerary that otherwise includes DL flights. The flight will have a KE flight number.
Right, I understand that, but how do I get delta.com to quote me a ticket to ICN that includes a KE flight coded as a DL flight?

e.g., RDU-ATL-ICN-ATL-RDU, with ATL-ICN-ATL on KE (for example, I don't care what the gateway city is).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Right, I understand that, but how do I get delta.com to quote me a ticket to ICN that includes a KE flight coded as a DL flight?

e.g., RDU-ATL-ICN-ATL-RDU, with ATL-ICN-ATL on KE (for example, I don't care what the gateway city is).
It will mix it in with DL operated flights through DTW and SEA, but if you just exclude those cities as connections it will show you connections on KE operated flights through ATL and JFK (DL 1001 JFK-ICN, DL 7850 ATL-ICN, DL 7887 NRT-ICN).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:14 am

The only thing I know to do is to find them online and spoon feed the flight numbers to the phone agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.