Wiki Posts
Search

Exiting SJO: check-in + lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Exiting SJO: check-in + lounge

When I flew into SJO on Sunday the lines were horrible. I was the first off the plane but it took at least one hour to do immigration. The luggage was sitting out but then customs had long lines.

So when I leave here on Wednesday of next week, are the lines + security going to take a long time? How early does DL allow one to leave off their luggage when using EBP? Also does DL have a "business" lounge or do I go with the PP one?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno
When I flew into SJO on Sunday the lines were horrible. I was the first off the plane but it took at least one hour to do immigration. The luggage was sitting out but then customs had long lines.

So when I leave here on Wednesday of next week, are the lines + security going to take a long time? How early does DL allow one to leave off their luggage when using EBP? Also does DL have a "business" lounge or do I go with the PP one?
PP Lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:38 pm

Reminds me of flying into PLS (Turks and Caicos) a few months ago. Five staffed lines for immigrations. One staffed line for customs. Just odd.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

I have a friend flying out 1.5 hours prior to my flight (early Wed afternoon next week) and I have been invited to share the shuttle ride.

I know the DL counter will not be open that early but is there anyway to simply drop off one piece of luggage and go on to the PP lounge?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

My situation has changed a bit as my friend is now on my flight to ATL so could someone tell me if the DL counter open 2.5 or 3 hours before departure? I know what the lines were like coming in and I have heard horror stories about the security lines for departure.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Dia, KM, 2MM, Hilton Dia, Natl Emer Exec. Avis Pres.
The DL counter will be open - there are 2 DL flights leaving each each day - you will not have any crazy immigration/customs lines leaving SJO - you will have customs/immigration lines when you land in ATL. The traffic to the airport for the afternoon flight (DL903) can be challenging but once you are at the airport it is easy - one small form to fill out and check your bags and then through security. There is an expedited line to pass through security if you are flying business class. There is an AMEX club - free entry with the black card. Pura vida.

Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hortkie
The DL counter will be open - there are 2 DL flights leaving each each day - you will not have any crazy immigration/customs lines leaving SJO - you will have customs/immigration lines when you land in ATL. The traffic to the airport for the afternoon flight (DL903) can be challenging but once you are at the airport it is easy - one small form to fill out and check your bags and then through security. There is an expedited line to pass through security if you are flying business class. There is an AMEX club - free entry with the black card. Pura vida.
Extremely helpful. Thanks much.

Yes we are business class and I have PP
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

I am past the 24 hour mark for OLCI, but it would seem that I cannot get an EBP.

Does this not mean a paper BP at SJO but only EBP for ATL-OKC once they verify my passport at the airport check-in?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I am past the 24 hour mark for OLCI, but it would seem that I cannot get an EBP.

Does this not mean a paper BP at SJO but only EBP for ATL-OKC once they verify my passport at the airport check-in?
SJO isn't on the list:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...pass-faqs.html
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by hortkie
...there are 2 DL flights leaving each each day
3 most days. Don't forget the LAX flight.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
Thank you for the link.

I was also asking when I might get an EBP for ATL-OKC. I remember another trip where no EBP for first segment then even the second leg EBP did not become available until I was in the lounge waiting to board the final flight. I don't remember city pairs at the moment.

Last edited by Xeno; Dec 7, 2016 at 4:49 am Reason: Replace word
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:44 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Thank you for the link.

I was also asking when I might get an EBP for ATL-OKC. I remember another trip where no EBP for first elegant then even the second leg EBP did not become available until I was in the lounge waiting to board the final flight. I don't remember city pairs at the moment.
In my experience yes, once you are checked in at the airport, the EBP will become available in the app.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL Dia, KM, 2MM, Hilton Dia, Natl Emer Exec. Avis Pres.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
3 most days. Don't forget the LAX flight.
yep - I should have been more clear - I was only talking about the 2 ATL flights.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

I am reporting in for the benefit of anyone who does a search on this topic.

I was able to check-in 3 hours prior to departure without any issues. I went on to use the SP lane for security and quickly found myself in the PP lounge.

The departure experience was much more pleasant than the arrival one. However, I was never at any point able to get an EBP for ATL-OKC much less SJO-ATL.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thank you Xeno

Anyone have more recent experience on arrival issues? I will be arriving at 7:30 Am from the redeye LAX-SJO. An hour seems miserable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.