Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How long to get KLM to recognized new upgraded status?

How long to get KLM to recognized new upgraded status?

Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question How long to get KLM to recognized new upgraded status?

So my partner in his first year flying Delta is now PM, but it's not getting picked up by KLM to get the free comfort seats. The agent is saying there are delays for other airlines to see the new status even though he has the black PM card showing on his reservation. There's only 2 left and no Z buckets for upgrading to WBC.....frustrating!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:12 am

That is frustrating. Have you tried calling again? I aways find that the third time's the charm

I don't have an answer, just my own anecdotal evidence to contribute. When I was GM I was given automatic economy comfort on KLM upon booking, but I could never manually change the seats until check-in. Sometimes I could move in to economy comfort on online check-in as well if it hadn't been done automatically when booking. So if his PM is fairly recent, shouldn't the GM status be in the system? Or is that just not how life works =/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Yeah calling DL and also KLM agents on Facebook can't override the system to get him the seats. He was getting charged the full upgrade costs too when he was SM (25% discount) and GM (50% discount).

Exit rows are also getting a charge as well, ugh, the things we do for both love and comfort!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I'm having the same problem. I made PM about a week ago and KLM still wants me to pay for EC out of AMS. So I'm curious how long I should wait before I call Delta (I'd rather no deal with KLM if possible).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm in a similar situation but on the other side. I just made it to KLM Plat and I had to call the Platinum line in order to manually remove my FF number and add it again so my reservations show my new statut and get all the free seats.

Meanwhile, my statut hasn't updated on Delta's system and I will have to call them again to get this sorted.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Was once told they synchronize their database like every 6 weeks but had problems with KLM recognize my status for like 2 years, even after all those years 'system' sometimes tells me to pay (it's rare but it does still happen)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I had a similar situation a few years back. It was a short flight (AMS-BUD) so it wasn't high on my list of things to fix. When we got to the airport, there was a long line. I asked an agent standing among the people if there was a ST+ line, and she yelled at me that I needed to wait with everyone else. At the time, I was DM. She waived her arm and proclaimed, "All these people are Diamond. You'll have to wait." By the time we got to the front of the line, she was the check-in agent behind the counter. As she took our passports, I noticed what seemed to be a supervisor standing a few feet behind her. I waived over the supervisor, explained and the supervisor started telling the agent what to do. Eventually, the supervisor just moved the agent out of the way, apologized, and UGd us to first, which is just a row of seats with nobody sitting in the middle seat. There's a giant cushion instead.

Right before boarding, the same gate agent, who was now at the gate, called us to the front and told us even though we were sitting in F, we were not getting meals. That really didn't matter to us, but I asked for the supervisor just to make sure that was the case. Of course it wasn't. We didn't see that gate agent again before boarding the flight.

Long story short... There just seem to be some KLM people who go out of their way to make life difficult for DL passengers. It's just a matter of finding the right person and your problem will be solved.

One more thing... My friend I was flying with learned the terms "DYKWIA" and "kettle" that day. She still uses the terms, although she didn't like seeing me as a DYKWIA, even if I did so calmly and was right.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
In 6+ years of flying regularly on KLM/AF flights purchased through DL, I've never once felt that there was anything close to sufficient coordination between them and DL. Virtually every flight something new there's some issue in terms of having status recognized, or published benefits provided. Luckily I haven't had the experience CJKatl did, and in fact have found both AF and KLM employees to be nice/professional, but on a structural and organizational level the JV is a mess.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mirk
I'm in a similar situation but on the other side. I just made it to KLM Plat and I had to call the Platinum line in order to manually remove my FF number and add it again so my reservations show my new statut and get all the free seats.

Meanwhile, my statut hasn't updated on Delta's system and I will have to call them again to get this sorted.
This sounds like the best strategy to me - I'd suggest to KLM and/or Delta to try removing and readding the FF number. Usually that retriggers whatever background process is needed to update the status...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been DM since the beginning of DM around the time of the merger and on my last flight, KLM said that I was a base or general member on my boarding pass and on the flight manifest.

So my answer to the OP's question would be never.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:42 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't wait to call Delta. Took a while but they eventually got us in. Had to call a few times because it would bump out the seat. Seems it's has stuck, though on the KLM app, it doesn't show that he has a seat so......keep your fingers crossed.

I haven't had issues with my PM status for the past 10 years with KLM but yeah, they sure could have better coordination!!

On a different note, Virgin Australia seems to get immediate updates, so my DM status was automatically recognized on my return flights after making DM on the way to SYD. I went from partner GOLD (as a PM) to partner PLAT (as a DM). Still couldn't get into the international lounges (NZ) though!! UGH!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I wouldn't wait to call Delta. Took a while but they eventually got us in. Had to call a few times because it would bump out the seat. Seems it's has stuck, though on the KLM app, it doesn't show that he has a seat so......keep your fingers crossed.

I haven't had issues with my PM status for the past 10 years with KLM but yeah, they sure could have better coordination!!

On a different note, Virgin Australia seems to get immediate updates, so my DM status was automatically recognized on my return flights after making DM on the way to SYD. I went from partner GOLD (as a PM) to partner PLAT (as a DM). Still couldn't get into the international lounges (NZ) though!! UGH!
You don't get access to the NZ lounges unless flying in VA J class. DL elites don't get access in Y to anything other than VA lounges. Those only exist in the domestic portion of the airport. If flying DL Y, then of course can access the Skyteam lounge.

On the OT, I find it sad that KLM has this issue with status. CZ/MU/CI/VN/etc all recognize status upgrades as soon as they happen. They may have to remove/re-enter the FF number, but it instantly recognizes new status. If airlines like CZ/MU can do this instantly, why KLM after all these years has problems is beyond me.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You don't get access to the NZ lounges unless flying in VA J class. DL elites don't get access in Y to anything other than VA lounges. Those only exist in the domestic portion of the airport. If flying DL Y, then of course can access the Skyteam lounge.

On the OT, I find it sad that KLM has this issue with status. CZ/MU/CI/VN/etc all recognize status upgrades as soon as they happen. They may have to remove/re-enter the FF number, but it instantly recognizes new status. If airlines like CZ/MU can do this instantly, why KLM after all these years has problems is beyond me.
As I said upthread, the problem isn't just that KLM doesn't update status, it's more fundamentally that there seems to be a glitch in how KLM and DL communicate status, at least in the direction of DL status to KLM.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
...why KLM after all these years has problems is beyond me.
There is a reason that my int'l travel buddy and I always joke about KLM that their real motto is "It is not possible!"

edit: In their defense I did recently get free Y+ flr-ams via KL's facebook team. Saved me $5.75!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.