Delta/AeroMexico Seat Selection

Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Delta/AeroMexico Seat Selection

Hi,

I'm PM (and as such, also Skyteam Elite+) and booked through Delta on a GDL->LAX flight on AM metal. Is it normal that even as PM, AeroMexico will not allow me to select a seat (and as such, confirm my status) until check-in time? I spoke with them on the phone, and mentioned that they charge an additional fee for seat selection ahead of check-in, but I'd expect that Elite+ would be exempted from the fee, although I've never flown AM before so I could be wrong on this.

Can someone with more experience flying AM let me know if this is normal? The AM representative didn't even seem to understand the concept of Skyteam status, but Delta PM desk has confirmed that it shows on the reservation. Did I just get a bad AM customer service rep?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by rekoil
Hi,

I'm PM (and as such, also Skyteam Elite+) and booked through Delta on a GDL->LAX flight on AM metal. Is it normal that even as PM, AeroMexico will not allow me to select a seat (and as such, confirm my status) until check-in time? I spoke with them on the phone, and mentioned that they charge an additional fee for seat selection ahead of check-in, but I'd expect that Elite+ would be exempted from the fee, although I've never flown AM before so I could be wrong on this.

Can someone with more experience flying AM let me know if this is normal? The AM representative didn't even seem to understand the concept of Skyteam status, but Delta PM desk has confirmed that it shows on the reservation. Did I just get a bad AM customer service rep?
I connect once a year in Mexico City, from Atlanta, on an AM flight. I learned that the only way to choose your seat on the AM portion of my itinerary is to get the AM confirmation number, which is different from Delta's, go to the AM site, enter their confirmation number, and then select my seat. I can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.

But I do know that once I have the AM number, I can easily select my seats on my AM flights.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tonypct
II can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.
PM desk or Twitter should be able to look it up for you.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Use the chat function on the Aeromexico website. They were very kind to me and I got the AM+ seats for free and I am just a humble Flying Blue Gold member. So all you Diamond Platinum Rhodium Rhenium Palladium members must surely be able to get it also.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonypct
I connect once a year in Mexico City, from Atlanta, on an AM flight. I learned that the only way to choose your seat on the AM portion of my itinerary is to get the AM confirmation number, which is different from Delta's, go to the AM site, enter their confirmation number, and then select my seat. I can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.

But I do know that once I have the AM number, I can easily select my seats on my AM flights.
I did exactly that, getting my AM number from Delta and using it on AM's site, but the site would not allow me to select a seat (nor would the phone representative, without an additional fee).

I'll try Twitter and see what happens.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You should be able to select it without fee. However as for the phone agents, well they put NYC to shame. Not just can't be done, but full blown, sex without a kiss ugliness. I can easily get great deals on AM going south and connecting through MEX instead of DL hubs. After recent experiences that won't be happening.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I booked a DL codeshare LAX-MEX and had no trouble getting DL to request the seats for me. It took about a day but they showed up on delta.com. I did not try to access the reservation on Aeromexico's website.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also AM give upgrades for DL E+ members. You can call within 24 hours, but most times you'll need to wait to airport to get upgraded/waitlisted. Not sure the priority given to DL elites, but I've made it on all but LAX-MEX the times I've had to take AM.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also AM give upgrades for DL E+ members. You can call within 24 hours, but most times you'll need to wait to airport to get upgraded/waitlisted. Not sure the priority given to DL elites, but I've made it on all but LAX-MEX the times I've had to take AM.
Any luck on JFK/MEX? I'd like to try the B787
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Does anyone know if companions (SM member) can get upgraded, too? I'm PM, and my partner is just a general SM member; we'll be on a few AM flights in February.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I just got offline with AM Chat Support, who was able to put my wife and I (I'm PM, she's Silver) in F on our GDL->LAX leg. So hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

Which brings the next question - the chat support rep said that I should arrive at GDL 3 hours ahead of my departure. Is that an accurate assessment? Do they have an Elite Plus checkin desk that might save me time?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I just got offline with AM Chat Support, who was able to put my wife and I (I'm PM, she's Silver) in F on our GDL->LAX leg. So hopefully that won't be a problem for you.
They put you in F?!? When you were just chatting hoping to get a Y seat assignment?

Also, how far in advance is you flight?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
They put you in F?!? When you were just chatting hoping to get a Y seat assignment?

Also, how far in advance is you flight?
Oddly enough, the rep said he was putting me in AM+, but the seat assignments we received are in F. My flight is early next week.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: WP
Which brings the next question - the chat support rep said that I should arrive at GDL 3 hours ahead of my departure. Is that an accurate assessment? Do they have an Elite Plus checkin desk that might save me time?
I believe 3hrs is standard AM wording. I was told the same thing when departing MEX, but arrived 2hrs before departure and checked in no problem
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:34 pm

GUC on ATL>JNB

Does anyone have experience with using GUC from ATL>JNB? Looking to go in Feb. Called Diamond desk and had agent check Jan, Feb and March and she said there are no confirmed upgrades available. It's a DL flight. There seems to be 28 seats open as of now with about 3ish months until flight. I have not used a GUC but wondering any past experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.