Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2.5M Skymiles = 4 hours in Delta private jet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2.5M Skymiles = 4 hours in Delta private jet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Smile 2.5M Skymiles = 4 hours in Delta private jet

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fly-ev...090026526.html

So now you can exchange 2.5 million Skymiles for a $25K Delta private jets card. $25K is said to be about the equivalent of four hours flying time in a private jet.

The article also mentions that the "upgrade" program to move DMs onto empty DPJ flights has been suspended quietly. If the article is correct, only one couple ever got that kind of upgrade.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...te-jet-upgrade

The technology just wasn't there to offer the upgrades in real time.

Too bad, the ultimate would be a Porsche ride to a DPJ.

David
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:23 am

That's pretty useless, as you can get $0.01/SM as 'face value'. If it was any better than 1CPM it would be more interesting. Keep in mind, that also only gets you a $25k retail card, so you don't even get any further discounted pricing by using SM.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
That's pretty useless, as you can get $0.01/SM as 'face value'. If it was any better than 1CPM it would be more interesting. Keep in mind, that also only gets you a $25k retail card, so you don't even get any further discounted pricing by using SM.
Agree. It's a slow news day, so I thought I would post.

I really was more interested in the quiet death of the much ballyhooed DPJ upgrade program after exactly one couple was upgraded.

David
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by DiverDave

I really was more interested in the quiet death of the much ballyhooed DPJ upgrade program after exactly one couple was upgraded.

David
That is interesting. They didn't even try a second time.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ops55
That is interesting. They didn't even try a second time.
They did reroute some HVCs on the meltdown days in August.

But it seems that the meltdown and the one couple upgraded to ATL are the sum total of moving Delta HVCs to private jet flights.

But now we can trade our skymiles for a private jet flight!

David
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The irony here is the concept that a significant number of folks would have 2.5 MM SkyMiles...

Even worse is the assertion " There are “thousands” of SkyMiles members that have at least 2.5 million points in their accounts..."

After years of incentivizing an attitude of "Use those miles today, because they'll be worth less (or worthless) tomorrow" they expect folks to be able to pony up a minimum of 2.5 MM?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The irony here is the concept that a significant number of folks would have 2.5 MM SkyMiles...

Even worse is the assertion " There are “thousands” of SkyMiles members that have at least 2.5 million points in their accounts..."

After years of incentivizing an attitude of "Use those miles today, because they'll be worth less (or worthless) tomorrow" they expect folks to be able to pony up a minimum of 2.5 MM?
2.5 million Skymiles isn't that far off from what DL is asking for on many award tickets right now.

Back to being (somewhat) serious though, I agree. Not many people have 2.5 million miles in their account and for those that do - is 2.5 million miles really worth a 4 flight in a private jet? All of the sudden 700K-800K+ for a r/t J ticket to Australia isn't starting to look like such a bad deal.....
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

Or what we soon call one round trip business class to Europe in the amazing Delta ONE
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
...All of the sudden 700K-800K+ for a r/t J ticket to Australia isn't starting to look like such a bad deal.....
Perhaps that is the idea.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Perhaps that is the idea.
...or what others call simply paying retail
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect there are more people than we think with millions of miles but they're very unlikely to blow them on a Delta Private Jets experience. I know a bunch of people that have been saving miles for retirement leisure travel.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know a bunch of people that have been saving miles for retirement leisure travel.
Good luck with that plan. Unless they are retiring soon, the mile stash MAY be enough for one regional jet segment on a short domestic trip after all the devaluations over time.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Should also note that they say its roughly 4 hours on a 'light' jet, and if you've ever been on a light private jet....its not that great. If you wanted to use it on a larger more comfortable one then its likely only enough for an hour or two.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Good luck with that plan. Unless they are retiring soon, the mile stash MAY be enough for one regional jet segment on a short domestic trip after all the devaluations over time.
That's more or less what I try to tell them when the topic comes up in conversation. I know someone who has hoarded over four million UA miles, for example.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect there are more people than we think with millions of miles but they're very unlikely to blow them on a Delta Private Jets experience. I know a bunch of people that have been saving miles for retirement leisure travel.
Sadly, I have enough miles for this, just over 2.8M.

I've not been hoarding them, just been watching them be devalued as I simply haven't had the time or opportunity to burn them.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.