Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More Premium Cabin Devaluation - Delta Raises Award Rates to India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Why is this only happening to premium cabin space!?!? 37% increase for a roundtrip to India, and this is the 4th time they've pulled this crap this year.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 25, 2016 at 5:21 pm Reason: I clarified the title
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Charge what the market will bear?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Are you referring to miles or dollars in reference to the cost?

In either case, not sure I understand how this is a "devaluation" of a premium cabin. Can you elaborate?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Are you referring to miles or dollars in reference to the cost?

In either case, not sure I understand how this is a "devaluation" of a premium cabin. Can you elaborate?
I have the same response especially since there aren't really "prices" for miles or dollars.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I meant devaluing skymiles. By increasing the number of miles needed for an award ticket, Delta is devaluing how much a mile is worth compared to the buying it in cash.

Delta seems to drastically increase the amount of miles needed for business and first class, yet never changes the amount for economy, and I was wondering why this is the case.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mjgoldstein9
Why is this only happening to premium cabin space!?!? 37% increase for a roundtrip to India, and this is the 4th time they've pulled this crap this year.
Yep here is the blogger who broke the news: http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...381.1469037716
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Delta Raises Award Rates to India

Don't think this was posted yet. A business award USA to India is now 97,500 miles! This is up from 70k. I think it's Delta's most expensive saver award. They also raised India to Europe to 65k from 42.5k. This all seems crazy to me. From a revenue perspective, J class US-India are not the most expensive tickets (and Europe-India definitely are not that expensive). Delta is the most expensive to India for awards and has some of the worst availability.

Economy USA-India stays at 40k each way.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 25, 2016 at 5:21 pm Reason: Merged into the existing thread on the subject
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Are you sure you were seeing saver awards? Since there's no award chart who knows what it actually is.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Looks accurate, thanks for posting. Nothing like a RT award increasing by 55K miles overnight. It's getting to the point where you might as well confirm a discounted business ticket using pay with miles for close to the same value.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Crap! With no notice at all! I wish they'd given some warning.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
The "value" of miles when used for international premium cabin tickets is generally much higher than the value of the same miles redeemed for other types of award tickets, so they are making an adjustment to squeeze a bit more money out of all of us. This is, of course, moving closer to a fixed cash exchange rate of redemption, which many have predicted for some time.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:32 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
This is just horrible
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not only India, it seems...? Unless I missed where this changed previously, US-Europe increases from 62.5k to 70k each way after 1/1. Not as drastic, but still a 12% increase.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
It's so annoying that Delta doesn't just change things and then let it sit. Why are there changes like every two months. Also what's the reason India is the highest saver redemption? South Pacific and S. Africa are usually higher for every other program. Also it's not like there are sale fares in J to India from the US. For FF, award redemptions are really the only way to fly J to India on vacation. With seats to India so limited as it is, I don't know what Delta is trying to do here.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Not only India, it seems...? Unless I missed where this changed previously, US-Europe increases from 62.5k to 70k each way after 1/1. Not as drastic, but still a 12% increase.
Already discussed here.

Delta jumps Europe business class LEVEL 1 awards to 70,000 OW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.