Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's new roped off boarding zones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
Apparently not, if you were trying to board while there were still people in line.
Sorry, I guess I don't follow you?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've been at numerous gates lately that the GA instructs Zone 1 to line up in the SP lanr, zone 2/3 in the regular lane.
No need to announce it, Zone 1 is always lined up there.

Seriously, usually I have boarded so I don't see what happens.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've been at numerous gates lately that the GA instructs Zone 1 to line up in the SP lanr, zone 2/3 in the regular lane.
Same here at Atlanta 2 days back. Z1 was asked to queue at SP lane.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
Sorry, I guess I don't follow you?
if you were boarding late, the line would have already been gone, and hence, you wouldn't have needed the SP lane, nor would anyone else have followed you through it, because they'd already be on the plane.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
The virgin Australia purple premium zones that are very distinctly separate from the regular boarding is great, keeps the gate mob much more organized and out of the way. In JNB, the delta gate agents line up each category, Biz/Premium, Sky Priority, each zone so it's very organized at boarding
They do something similar at NRT - gate staff holds up paddles with the Zone #, and people line up w/ their zone.

I can't see that expanding systemwide, considering it takes an extra 3-5 agents.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
if you were boarding late, the line would have already been gone, and hence, you wouldn't have needed the SP lane, nor would anyone else have followed you through it, because they'd already be on the plane.
Right. When I said "board late", I didn't mean - late, as in - after the cutoff time. I just meant later in the boarding process - - so we can get full enjoyment from all of the fine, posh delicacies and amenities in the SkyClub til the last minute!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Have I been asleep? I noticed Delta's new four zone roped off boarding (Black Premium, Red Sky. Zone 1 and Zone 2/3)

It was great. The pilot walked through a clear path to gate, no mass group of folks blocking everything. What a pleasant change from the normal ATL zoo.

My sense is this is something Delta executed very well
...by copying UA.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
If airlines increased fares by $10 and stopped charging for baggage, this boarding frenzy would stop.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
United does this, they have separate roped off lanes for each boarding group 1-5. Really wish Delta would adopt this because it really makes boarding so much easier.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Agremeister
United does this, they have separate roped off lanes for each boarding group 1-5. Really wish Delta would adopt this because it really makes boarding so much easier.
Trying boarding a 777 on UA in SFO sometime. Its a cluster f to say the least. One of many reasons I detest UA.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by troydwhite
They do something similar at NRT - gate staff holds up paddles with the Zone #, and people line up w/ their zone.

I can't see that expanding systemwide, considering it takes an extra 3-5 agents.
Yes they do. I was there back in May and saw it when coming back to ATL.

I wish they would turn people away when they try to sneak in with other zones.

In NRT they have 2 ramps also, 1 for F/J and the other for the rest of the plane.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:40 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
Right. When I said "board late", I didn't mean - late, as in - after the cutoff time. I just meant later in the boarding process - - so we can get full enjoyment from all of the fine, posh delicacies and amenities in the SkyClub til the last minute!
I know what you meant. The secret is that the line is almost always fully boarded way before the door closes. I'm usually standing alone by the gate for a good ten minutes before boarding.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL/UA
its like United's boarding process. So organized
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Traveller
If airlines increased fares by $10 and stopped charging for baggage, this boarding frenzy would stop.
+1!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:51 am

Isn't it sad that we need this much effort for adults to basically go through a door and wait their turn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.