Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Newark to Charlottesville/Richmond not valid routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Need to book a trip to Charlottesville for early November. Surprisingly Delta does not sell tickets from EWR to CHO or even RIC. I called and the agent could not find flights either.

I get that this would involve a stop in ATL and probably not really be much of a time saver vs driving. That said, you can fly from both LGA and JFK via ATL (n/s to Richmond).

Is this a glitch? Or does Delta just not have any interest in selling tickets between these airports?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why is this surprising? DL has a small operation out of EWR that is primarily focused on hub traffic and a couple of focus cities (e.g., RDU) since it is a hub fortress of UA.

For smaller, non-focus cities like CHO and RIC, they don't have the O&D to support direct flights ex-EWR but do (apparently) have support from LGA and JFK since they route connection traffic through LGA and JFK. If you want direct you'll have to book with UA.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if i wasn't clear. I am not expecting a nonstop out of Newark to Richmond. Clearly there is not the O&D traffic in this UA fortress.

What surprises me is that they won't sell a ticket EWR->ATL->RIC/CHO. Effectively forcing someone to drive to JFK to catch a Delta flight or fly United.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
that is pretty goofy that there don't seem to be fares filed for CHO; I think you are incorrect about fares for EWR-ATL-RIC. Also seeing routings on Delta.com via DTW.

I think American serves CHO non-stop out of LGA (old US/Colgan S340 route), and I think just about everyone has non-stops from the NY area to RIC. Why take the connection?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Take Amtrak...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by injera
Apologies if i wasn't clear. I am not expecting a nonstop out of Newark to Richmond. Clearly there is not the O&D traffic in this UA fortress.

What surprises me is that they won't sell a ticket EWR->ATL->RIC/CHO. Effectively forcing someone to drive to JFK to catch a Delta flight or fly United.
Two things. 1)the agent was looking for a through fare and the is none, most likely a broken fare EWR-ATL and ATL-RIC/CHO. 2)Even with a broken fare the flights don't meet some other restriction like MCT or some other restrictions.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Picked a date in October (10) and November (14) and both showed EWR-RIC with a connection in either ATL or DTW many with 1-2 hour layovers. The November one-ways were about $365. Round trips were about $700.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Strange. Maybe it's just my dates that were being problematic.

It's Delta, so i'll just wait and hope this will be fixed by Monday.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just looking in the GDS right now, there are published fares in EWR-RIC, but they are all full Y fares (start at $689ow before tax). Likewise, there are no published fares on EWR-CHO.

I'd guess the reason is that it's such a backhaul that most reasonable passengers wouldn't consider it an option. EWR-RIC is 277 miles; via DTW it's 944 miles and via ATL it's 1226 miles. Likewise for CHO, it's 289 miles EWR-CHO, it's 1202 via ATL.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862
Just looking in the GDS right now, there are published fares in EWR-RIC, but they are all full Y fares (start at $689ow before tax). Likewise, there are no published fares on EWR-CHO.

I'd guess the reason is that it's such a backhaul that most reasonable passengers wouldn't consider it an option. EWR-RIC is 277 miles; via DTW it's 944 miles and via ATL it's 1226 miles. Likewise for CHO, it's 289 miles EWR-CHO, it's 1202 via ATL.
Makes sense. Same reason I guess why they can't fly me ewr to bos. I guess from the NYC airports it's worth it though.

Bummer as I don't want to fly ua but also don't want to trek to laguardia. Guess I'm driving.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by injera
Makes sense. Same reason I guess why they can't fly me ewr to bos. I guess from the NYC airports it's worth it though.

Bummer as I don't want to fly ua but also don't want to trek to laguardia. Guess I'm driving.
What about train?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Weird....I have flown CHO-ATL-JFK after NYE when the non-stop wasn't operating. Makes no sense why EWR wouldn't be an option since NYC to Delta is LGA/EWR/JFK for flight booking options.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What about train?
Or if flying is the preferred method, why not AA via PHL or CLT, since OP isn't averse to connecting? (OP only specifically mentioned wanting to avoid UA; no mention of AA).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
depending on time of day, both CHO and RIC are less than a 2-hr drive from either IAD or DCA (~100 miles) ... imo it's probably far less hassle to drive or take Amtrak
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What about train?
Amtrak into CHO is terribly unreliable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.