Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Discrepancy In Delta Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Odd Discrepancy In Delta Pricing

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if anyone has an answer I'd love to hear it!

Today I clicked on a google flights ad for a cheap round trip flight from Seattle (SEA) to Algiers (ALG). It consisted of 2 legs, a Delta flight to Paris (CDG) and an Air France Connector to ALG. The total business class price came to $4,370 if booked with Air France, and $6,990 if booked with Delta. I thought that it seemed cheap, so I checked the first leg only (SEA to CDG) and it came to $8,709, same class, same flight exactly, and the price was shared between both Delta and Air France. So my question is this, how does the cost effectively double when the second leg is removed?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by AsherSB
So my question is this, how does the cost effectively double when the second leg is removed?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
This is nothing new, direct flights to/from hubs tend to be pricier, as opposed to non hubs. Suggest you search the term "hidden city booking". People book itineraries like that and drop the last segment. I don't recommend doing that as airlines frown upon that.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why? Because almost nobody wants to travel from Seattle to Algiers, but plenty want to travel to Paris. The airline wants to capture both the long haul and short haul flight to support its route infrastructure so give a lower price for the less demanded route. Simple economics.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why? Because almost nobody wants to travel from Seattle to Algiers, but plenty want to travel to Paris. The airline wants to capture both the long haul and short haul flight to support its route infrastructure so give a lower price for the less demanded route. Simple economics.
That was my first thought, but a $4,000+ price difference seems like a lot, especially when it includes an extra flight. I know airlines will adjust prices, but I'd never heard of it happening to that extent.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SEA-CDG is not the same market as SEA-ALG. if you wan't to go to Paris, Algiers isn't a close substitute.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As noted by others this is fairly common. You can find these discrepancies pretty often on LAX - JFK - Caribbean Island where that price in J/F is much cheaper than LAX - JFK.

You also are running into the impact of codeshare. For whatever reason, AF has decided they need to discount their allotment of J seats on that city pair whereas DL is confident that the current price is appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.