Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Customs and Immigration on a inbound Delta flight transit through US ending in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs and Immigration on a inbound Delta flight transit through US ending in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD

I am planning on purchasing a ticket from HND->MSP->DTW->YYZ on Delta airlines. can someone tell me if I have customs and immigration in US /Canada? and if I can end my travel in MSP?

Thank you
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Nomad98
I am planning on purchasing a ticket from HND->MSP->DTW->YYZ on Delta airlines. can someone tell me if I have customs and immigration in US /Canada? and if I can end my travel in MSP?

Thank you
You will clear US Customs and Immigration in MSP and Canadian Customs and Immigration in YYZ.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: none
And as far as Canada is concerned, you are arriving on a flight from the US.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Thank you
After US immigration and customs in MSP, you'll have possession of all checked luggage at the point you either turn left to recheck bags for onward flights, or turn right to go down escalator to exit the terminal.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are looking at engaging in hidden city ticketing here, do bear in mind that there are a number of threads from people who have purchased tickets such as this fully intending not to fly the final segment onwards to Canada. However, they have been denied boarding at their Asian origin for failure to present appropriate documents for Canada and did not realize that this would be required.

Also, note that if you are ticketed to YYZ, in IRROPS, DL may reroute you on any carrier which winds you up at YYZ, where you do not want to be.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Often1
If you are looking at engaging in hidden city ticketing here, do bear in mind that there are a number of threads from people who have purchased tickets such as this fully intending not to fly the final segment onwards to Canada. However, they have been denied boarding at their Asian origin for failure to present appropriate documents for Canada and did not realize that this would be required.

Also, note that if you are ticketed to YYZ, in IRROPS, DL may reroute you on any carrier which winds you up at YYZ, where you do not want to be.
Often1's answer is more complete than mine.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott GLD

Thank you all for your inputs.
I would have all the necessary paper work to enter Canada. In the event they re-route me, do you recommend purchasing a award ticket back to DFW (home airport) from YYZ , or from MSP or both as a backup from your experiences. I have AA miles.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:33 am

Thank you all for your inputs.
I would have all the necessary paper work to enter Canada. In the event they re-route me, do you recommend purchasing a award ticket back to DFW (home airport) from YYZ , or from MSP or both as a backup from your experiences. I have AA miles.
If they re-route you, it's hard to tell what time your new flight will arrive in YYZ, so I would advise against purchasing a YYZ-DFW ticket. I would just buy MSP-DFW with plenty of time between flights.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by michael_v
If they re-route you, it's hard to tell what time your new flight will arrive in YYZ, so I would advise against purchasing a YYZ-DFW ticket. I would just buy MSP-DFW with plenty of time between flights.
There's no promise they'd reroute through MSP. They could put OP on KE/CZ/MU/CI, etc and fly them direct to YYZ not even stopping in the US.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no promise they'd reroute through MSP. They could put OP on KE/CZ/MU/CI, etc and fly them direct to YYZ not even stopping in the US.
As YYZ is usually my final TPAC eastbound destination, I have been re-route during MX IRROP to YYZ without touching US soil.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
YYZ-DTW isn't that far of a drive either.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
YYZ-DTW isn't that far of a drive either.
But I won't get 500 MQMs. =)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

Help me understand... say you are a US citizen trying to do this itinerary (HND-MSP-DTW-YYZ). What documentation would a US citizen need to go from Japan-Canada? Would a US passport not be enough?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodford02A
Help me understand... say you are a US citizen trying to do this itinerary (HND-MSP-DTW-YYZ). What documentation would a US citizen need to go from Japan-Canada? Would a US passport not be enough?
You need return ticket, not a one way to Canada, although it is rarely enforced.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by TerryK
You need return ticket, not a one way to Canada, although it is rarely enforced.
You truly don't need a return ticket, per se, but they may request evidence of your plan to leave to Canada. That could be by private vehicle, which would not entail having a ticket of any kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.