Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver to Gold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Silver to Gold

Due to family reasons, I just booked a last minute trip in economy to Brazil in 2 weeks' time.

I am a Silver Delta member, and I am flying out on a Monday (arriving same day). I fly back on Sunday.

I am a mere 3.7k MQM from becoming a Gold member, and after speaking to a Delta agent, she said Scotland > Amsterdam > Rio should be enough to get me that 3.7k and make me Gold.

My worry is that I fly back six days later, on the Sunday. Since I am flying economy, Gold would be very handy in terms of earlier boarding, priority check in, and of course, lounge access. I'll have done everything I need to qualify, but from previous experience this summer, Delta seems awfully slow in updating it system.

Assuming it updates by Sunday morning, I'd just wait to check in and print boarding passes etc until then (I guess my BP would have some sort of marker that would get me in the lounge), but in case it doesn't - or during the week before my travel - is there anything I can do to try to make sure I get gold and thus get lounge access?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

As a side note, I was surprised that one way would be enough to get 3.7k since for FlyingBlue, KLM says the whole trip is worth 7.8 (so 3.9k each way), but that's with the silver bonus for them. She must know what she is talking about, though - happy with the answer and hope it is correct!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:26 pm

If you hit your miles on the outbound flights, I can't see any reason that your updated status shouldn't be applied before your return trip 6 days later. I have gone from Gold > Platinum > Diamond this year, and in all but Diamond, my new status showed online the following day. Diamond showed up after 2 days.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:38 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
My BF was Silver when we took off from JNB and when we landed in ATL his miles had posted and he was already Gold. He was able to get into the ATL lounge without problems using his boarding pass. So hopefully things will go as smoothly for you too
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
If you hit your miles on the outbound flights, I can't see any reason that your updated status shouldn't be applied before your return trip 6 days later. I have gone from Gold > Platinum > Diamond this year, and in all but Diamond, my new status showed online the following day. Diamond showed up after 2 days.
OP is not flying DL metal, so is dependent upon successful posting of miles from the airline OP is flying.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
OP is not flying DL metal, so is dependent upon successful posting of miles from the airline OP is flying.
In my experience flying AF metal, flight credits are usually posted to my DL account 2-3 days after the flight. My new Gold medallion status was updated right after (same day) the posting of the qualifying flight.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Miles should post within 72 hours, and if not, OP can send a request via twitter or the online form and they will be manually posted really quick. I think OP should count on the Gold benefits for the return trip.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
My miles posting has always taken about 2 days. It seems weird dependent upon the flight. But even if I hit the miles, the status updates the next day after miles post. YMMV
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I am curious about something. Gold's get Lounge access? Is it because it is an international flight?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
I am curious about something. Gold's get Lounge access? Is it because it is an international flight?
Yes, Golds get Skyclub access when flying Y on an international flight. We also get Lounge access when flying any other Skyteam Airline in Y, on an international flight.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP - MQMs are used to determine status, not RDMs. So no status mileage bonuses would be applicable for MQMs.

It is just based on actual miles flown. You can look in your trips to see how many miles flown for each segment, to verify what the agent told you. If it involves partners and is not on DL ticket stock, you will want to refer to the MQM column on DL's partner earnings page to determine how many MQMs you will earn.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by Dan1113
As a side note, I was surprised that one way would be enough to get 3.7k since for FlyingBlue, KLM says the whole trip is worth 7.8 (so 3.9k each way), but that's with the silver bonus for them. She must know what she is talking about, though - happy with the answer and hope it is correct!
Scotland to Rio? That must be on the order of 10k miles each way.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Yes - just realised I never mentioned it is KLM metal the whole way

Maybe it's a really discounted ticket (just tried finding the booking class but couldn't see it anywhere...) as with FB anyway, it'd only have been 7.8k total, and that's with about 2k of silver bonus. Over the summer we did Scotland to Brazil and back via the US each way, in business, and that ended up only as a bit over 10-12k in total for the whole trip with Delta (no bonus as I was not silver yet).

Anyway, sounds like if it's enough miles (hope the lady is correct!) then I should be ok, so fingers crossed!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
There are no bonus MQM for status. I still think you are confusing RDM and MQM.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Scotland to Rio? That must be on the order of 10k miles each way.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=EDI-AMS-GIG&MS=wls2&DU=mi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.