Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shall I send one letter or two for two complaints?

Shall I send one letter or two for two complaints?

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Angry Shall I send one letter or two for two complaints?

Hi all!

While I am frequently annoyed while traveling I accept that annoyance is part of the experience. I have only formally complained about an issue once in millions, over the years and across airlines, of miles. People generally do their best. I will save all the details and post the letter(s) I do submit.

On this trip I was subjected to shocking rudeness by a gate agent on my first flight. I understand the occasional shortness that can happen in high pressure situations, it shouldn't happen but it does. This was far past that standard. Interestingly this is the first time I have not received an email asking me to evaluate my flight experiences this year.

On my return trip (just waiting to board first leg now) I have been affected by a complete lack of communication from Delta regarding access to the Virgin Clubhouse in Heathrow. Had I been informed of the remodeling and change in access (Delta One/Upper Class only regardless of status) I wouldn't have planned to arrive at the airport early to meet a colleague. Frankly the Clubhouse is a major reason to choose Heathrow and a Delta or Delta codeshare flight. Yes, it's that good.

Anyway, the issues are very different. Do you suggest I write one letter or two?

Thank you for any advice and insight!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Hi all!

While I am frequently annoyed while traveling I accept that annoyance is part of the experience. I have only formally complained about an issue once in millions, over the years and across airlines, of miles. People generally do their best. I will save all the details and post the letter(s) I do submit.

On this trip I was subjected to shocking rudeness by a gate agent on my first flight. I understand the occasional shortness that can happen in high pressure situations, it shouldn't happen but it does. This was far past that standard. Interestingly this is the first time I have not received an email asking me to evaluate my flight experiences this year.

On my return trip (just waiting to board first leg now) I have been affected by a complete lack of communication from Delta regarding access to the Virgin Clubhouse in Heathrow. Had I been informed of the remodeling and change in access (Delta One/Upper Class only regardless of status) I wouldn't have planned to arrive at the airport early to meet a colleague. Frankly the Clubhouse is a major reason to choose Heathrow and a Delta or Delta codeshare flight. Yes, it's that good.

Anyway, the issues are very different. Do you suggest I write one letter or two?

2, but dont expect much. You will get a canned responses where you hope they remember to plug in your name instead of "Dear NAME,"

They will throw some miles at you, thats about it.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I would say 2 as well with maybe one, wait for the reply and then the other one.

The change of admissions rules of the ClubHouse sucks but was predictable with the full move to T3. The N1 lounges are nice but I'm not sure how it compares with the SkyTeam Lounge of T4. I will see how they compare Thursday.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hi all!

You may have your email options sent to not send, because DL did send out an email on the VS Clubhouse change. The plus is that now even when flying DL metal we get access to the VS Arrivals lounge at LHR.

If I remember the 14th was the date it changed.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I'd suggest 1 letter. My guess is that Delta (like most other companies) uses some form of CRM to track interactions with customers. They also likely keep track of how often a customer complains and use such data to inform their resolution of future issues. I have no idea how they evaluate customers and their complaints but, if the number of complaints is a factor, you'd negatively impact your score by sending two letters. I'd suggest one letter describing your overall disappointment with the trip and highlight each of your issues.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You may have your email options sent to not send, because DL did send out an email on the VS Clubhouse change. The plus is that now even when flying DL metal we get access to the VS Arrivals lounge at LHR.

If I remember the 14th was the date it changed.
IME DL sends a very helpful email about LHR arrangements prior to travel. That should have explained the terminal move and the lounge situation. Since you did have lounge access even though there's no SC or SkyTeam lounge in the terminal, I don't see grounds for a complaint that it wasn't the VS lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:57 am

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If your goal is to receive as many skymiles as possible then send 2 (waiting until they respond to issue 1 before sending the second).

If you send a lot of complaints already then just send 1. After enough complaints DL will make the call to just have you be unhappy vs actually try and make it right with you.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
On our last trip we got the trifecta. I called it three strikes in my one letter (and my recommendation to the OP). Two were very minor FA incidents, and the other was rudeness by the GA. By themselves I would have not written a note but when my SO is miffed it is time to say something.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would send one letter about the rude GA and forget about the lounge. The first is serious and should be short, explicit and to the point.

The second issue is not worthy of a complaint and is unlikely to lead to anything other than a canned response. If it is included with the first, it detracts from the seriousness of the first and if it is sent separately, just leads DL to tag OP as a chronic complainer.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi all!

Just what was the shocking rudeness by the GA? And BTW, how much interaction did you have with the GA?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I'd suggest 1 letter. My guess is that Delta (like most other companies) uses some form of CRM to track interactions with customers. They also likely keep track of how often a customer complains and use such data to inform their resolution of future issues. I have no idea how they evaluate customers and their complaints but, if the number of complaints is a factor, you'd negatively impact your score by sending two letters. I'd suggest one letter describing your overall disappointment with the trip and highlight each of your issues.
I kind of get what you're saying. Another option would be just one letter focusing only on the rude GA. Delta is going to care a lot more about their employees than making partner experiences function smoothly. I just don't think Delta is going to care about the second complaint, so why bother?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Often1
I would send one letter about the rude GA and forget about the lounge. The first is serious and should be short, explicit and to the point.

The second issue is not worthy of a complaint and is unlikely to lead to anything other than a canned response. If it is included with the first, it detracts from the seriousness of the first and if it is sent separately, just leads DL to tag OP as a chronic complainer.
Some pretty good advice here. ^

David
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:31 pm

Depends if you want two form letters or one.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Thanks

Thanks all, your responses are about what I figured. BTW I am sent notifications and got zip on the changes on lounge access. As I noted in my post the main issue was that I had scheduled a meeting at the Clubhouse and was unable to attend it. Some of you seemed to have missed the part where I said I'd only ever sent a complain once before. As a MM I believe my record is fairly clear of any "complainer" tags 😉

Anyway for those who want the details of the interaction with the GA:

I arrived at the gate and the flight was listed as running late. I was first on upgrade list. We all know about the Delta board and loss "procedure" so I asked when to be back as I planned to make sure 1st has boarded full as opposed to checked in full. GA1 and I even joked about it and he would look for me. I was told by GA1 to come back in 15 minutes. Of course I know leaving, even on advice by a GA is risky. They must have gotten a boarding surprise as when I returned in 12 minutes the upgrade had gone to another and my Comfort+ seat had been released. I wasn't excited but I rolled the dice by leaving area. Clearly they were hoping to push back just in time. I understand that so the preceding did not tempt me to write a letter.

What followed was:
While GA1 tried to look busy and a bit less guilty GA2 demanded that I tag my bag and gate check it. I told her no, I was beginning a TATL trip and this was a carry on with meds etc. She nastily replied there was no room and I allowed her to tag it. I knew I'd get it to fit but to mollify her (and just in case I was wrong I wanted to save her time) she walked down the jetway with me repeatedly stating that there was no room and I would have to gate check it. Note, I was not the last person boarding. My response each time was "Yes, ma'am, I understand. I believe it will fit" Near the jet door she physically pushed past me and two others, boarded the plane and loudly complained to the pilot and FA. Remember, there is a tag on the bag so no time is lost by me trying. As I boarded she looked at me repeating her mantra. My reply was the same. She turned, on her heel this time, and literally snarled that "If you understood you would leave the bag on the jetway!"

Oh, no, no, no, that is completely out of line. It even shocked the FA. And yes, I have GA2's name.

I easily loaded my bag, took my now back middle seat, and had no affect on delaying the flight.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.