Baggage/Interline Agreements

Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
1)The DL software only allows the agents to pick airlines that DL has an interline with. 2)There's a business reason for not interlining - It incurs costs to get a bag between airlines, especially if not located in the same area at an airport. Why incur costs to give a benefit to a customer flying an airline that's a competitor? This includes cost if the bag gets lost and never transferred. While the last flown airline will pay the passenger, that airline can then ask for compensation from the airline that never handed the bag off. Also, bags are more likely to be lost when transferring between airlines that aren't partners. A lot of airports use separate baggage systems for different parts of the airport/airlines. Some bigger airports like DXB have one large system used by everyone, but most airports have completely separate baggage systems for each terminal, and in some cases airlines.
I'll add my own story. Was flying SYD-LAX-DTW and then DTW-ATL on a separate ticket. All DL marketed, operated, and ticketed.

Agent in SYD would only check my bags through to DTW, saying that it was too early to check anything for the DTW-ATL flight. Indeed, it was still 24.5 hrs before our DTW-ATL departure time, but she held her ground even after I clarified that I didn't need to check in for the flight yet, I just needed my bag tagged all the way through. And I wasn't about to wait around another 30 mins to see if they changed anything.

No big deal as we just got them retagged after customs in LAX, but was this really something she couldn't do, or could she have done it and just chose not to extend the effort?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'll add my own story. Was flying SYD-LAX-DTW and then DTW-ATL on a separate ticket. All DL marketed, operated, and ticketed.

Agent in SYD would only check my bags through to DTW, saying that it was too early to check anything for the DTW-ATL flight. Indeed, it was still 24.5 hrs before our DTW-ATL departure time, but she held her ground even after I clarified that I didn't need to check in for the flight yet, I just needed my bag tagged all the way through. And I wasn't about to wait around another 30 mins to see if they changed anything.

No big deal as we just got them retagged after customs in LAX, but was this really something she couldn't do, or could she have done it and just chose not to extend the effort?
I think the agent was confused by the fact that you can't check bags through on any airline with a 24hr or greater time between flights. Hours before departure isn't what matters, the layover time does. Only other issue is if greater then 12hrs between DL flights it should reject.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think the agent was confused by the fact that you can't check bags through on any airline with a 24hr or greater time between flights. Hours before departure isn't what matters, the layover time does. Only other issue is if greater then 12hrs between DL flights it should reject.
Good to know. Our layover were 3.5h and 1h, so nowhere near the 12/24h cutoffs. I thought she was also perhaps thinking that I wanted to also be "checked in" for the other flight to receive a BP, which I didn't really care about.

In any case, I was hungry and knew I'd see my bags again in LAX so it was just a curious experience.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
I've got a funny itinerary next week and just wanted confirmation that I can check my bag through on the following:

PNR 1 JFK-BOS (F) (5 hour layover for a meeting)
PNR 2 BOS-JFK-CDG-LUX (Air France La Premiere, BOS-JFK on DL, CDG-LUX on LG.)

I' planning to do some shopping in NYC and would like to drop a bag at JFK on my way to BOS to go along for the full ride. Possible?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
I've got a funny itinerary next week and just wanted confirmation that I can check my bag through on the following:

PNR 1 JFK-BOS (F) (5 hour layover for a meeting)
PNR 2 BOS-JFK-CDG-LUX (Air France La Premiere, BOS-JFK on DL, CDG-LUX on LG.)

I' planning to do some shopping in NYC and would like to drop a bag at JFK on my way to BOS to go along for the full ride. Possible?
I doubt an agent will rag a bag like this. Going JFK-BOS-JFK is likely to cause a problem. Even if they do, it's likely your bag will misconnect. If you were flying DL JFK-CDG they could just take it at JFK and have it fly directly from JFK skipping going to BOS.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very surprising if any carrier tagged a bag through the same station twice even if on the same ticket and carrier. I am presuming that when OP uses the term "PNR" he means "ticket"
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Very surprising if any carrier tagged a bag through the same station twice even if on the same ticket and carrier. I am presuming that when OP uses the term "PNR" he means "ticket"
I'm assuming there's no chance the DL desk at JFK would just let me check the bag JFK-CDG-LUX on my way up to Boston, right?

So I'm guessing my best bet if I decide to shop is just to check JFK-BOS, reclaim and re-check?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
I'm assuming there's no chance the DL desk at JFK would just let me check the bag JFK-CDG-LUX on my way up to Boston, right?

So I'm guessing my best bet if I decide to shop is just to check JFK-BOS, reclaim and re-check?
No since you're on AF JFK-CDG, they'd refuse to take it at the DL checkin without it flying on a DL flight.

I'd tag to BOS. Leave at baggage claim, pickup when get back to airport and then checkin.

If you were flying DL JFK-CDG this would be easy for them to do.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless someone swipes it off the carousel. You don't want to be the last bag on the carousel at an airport which doesn't check tags (which BOS generally does not).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.