Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Million-Miler Recognized on Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I approximately hit my 2MM over the Pacific, I went to the galley and asked for a glass of champagne, explaining to the FA that it was my 2MM mark. She delivered it in a Japanese sake cup as a bit of a joke. It was fun, and although I was holding my breath, there was no general announcement.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
From my understanding, this type of thing is usually requested from a spouse or assistant or coworker through either social media or a contact at DL.

It's rarely just a total surprise by DL.

Some of that may be for their privacy and potentially confidential nature of their travel.

Just a potential example...I work for company X and I'm on a flight to a job interview with company Y and I'm trying to go under the radar, then all of a sudden DL makes a big deal about me on the flight and either someone from my company is on the flight or it goes on Social Media etc and someone eventually asks why I was flying as I had taken a personal day. Not likely but not impossible.
Wouldn't there be the same problem with the Passenger John Howard Smith please report to gate 13 for immediate departure to Huntsville announcements that some airports do?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I don't know for sure that this was for a Million Miler event: I was on a DL flight from MSP to LHR last fall, and one of the crew came back and handed the guy a bag as well. All I heard clearly was: "thank you for your loyalty", no public announcement over the intercom. He pulled out of the bag a Delta Model plane in the box that said 767 on it, which was the type of aircraft we were flying on. I have heard of some type of recognition a few times now.

I could do without the public recognition, but if I got a little something extra for my flight, I would have appreciated it when I hit 1mm with DL.

Maybe this wasn't for a MM, but something about it made me think that it was.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The model 767 is a nice touch. Although it gives me pause, since I'm currently scheduled to hit 1MM later in September... on a 737-900. Out of all the planes in the fleet, that's one I least want to commemorate with a model displayed in my office :P
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:32 pm

My million will be 12/10 MSP/LAS on a 757. A 757 model is too much to hope for.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:00 pm

My 2MM was on a 777 from NRT to MSP. I was sitting in 7D.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
someone eventually asks why I was flying as I had taken a personal day. Not likely but not impossible.
A. For personal Reasons. That's why I took a personal day.

B. None of your
Business.

C. Mileage Run.

I do understand your point though.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by FlyingActuary
Applause ensued, with someone behind me saying "poor guy".
The "poor guy" is the schmuck who spends 40+ per week staring at the same four walls, the same group of people and doing the same soul-sucking routine day after day.

Now if this were WN we're talking about....well...all bets are off.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Interesting. Mrs. TrojanTraveler will hit 2MM with a flight this Thursday. Will be interesting to see if this is a new procedure or just a one-off.
Today is the day sir - good luck and well done. ^
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Today is the day sir - good luck and well done. ^
Now we will both be 2MM...she keeps gaining on me

I'll report back what/if anything happened when I return from this trip.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My 2MM was on a 777 from NRT to MSP. I was sitting in 7D.
no better seat than 7A or D on the 777, nice choice
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I remember years ago when DL used to fly the 767-300ER from JFK-SLC I was waiting for the bathroom up front and noticed the passenger manifest at the front of the cabin. I was glancing over it and noticed out of the 36 business elite seats up front, five passengers were 5MM, three were 2MM and there were a few MM... I was shocked to see that many 5MM on the plane. Granted my MM came almost exclusively from domestic travel, but even with international travel that is a hell of a lot of time on a plane.

On a separate note, I think DL employees love to do something special if someone tips them off... I casually mentioned to a friend who works for Delta that my partner would be turning 30 while in the air on an upcoming flight from SLC-CDG. Once we were on board, the purser made an announcement about "one of our most valued passengers in the Delta One cabin was celebrating his 30th", brought back a card signed by the pilots and crew, a goofy 30th birthday necklace and took pictures with us. The whole plane clapped. It was a really nice touch and unexpected.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:39 am

Feting high-mileage milestones is standard. Just ask George Clooney.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I got no acknowledgement on my MM threshold flight, in fact I was number one on the upgrade list from ATL to MSP after 1st had checked in full, and I boarded the plane.

I think it will be 4-6 more years before I hit 2MM on DL, so who knows what they will be doing then. 2MM will probably only get me FO status then.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
The model 767 is a nice touch. Although it gives me pause, since I'm currently scheduled to hit 1MM later in September... on a 737-900. Out of all the planes in the fleet, that's one I least want to commemorate with a model displayed in my office :P
Hey, it coulda been a CRJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.