Lost an Engine, Ran into a Storm Today

Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Lost an Engine, Ran into a Storm Today

So, I was flying MSP-ORD today and the captain came on when we were near ORD and announced that we were having trouble with one engine and that he didn't want anyone alarmed to see all the emergency personnel when we landed. Well, we flew for at least another 15 mines, turning through a bunch of white pillowy clouds and I was beginning to wonder why we weren't on the ground yet. Then we hit some open area and I could see thunderstorms. It was shortly after that that the captain came on and said that due to the issue with the engine and because of the storm, he didn't want to risk landing so he was diverting to MKE.

As we were about to land at MKE, I got two emails from Proactive Care at AMEX. My company uses Concur, managed by AMEX, and books all of our trips through them. Late last year they contacted me stating that I had been chosen due to my extensive travel and had me download the Proactive Care app. I've never used it but they have called me personally when I've had major travel issues. Apparently they watch my travel closely.

Anyhoo, when we landed, the MKE Delta manager announced we needed to grab out luggage and get on the buses back to ORD so I never bothered to respond to the emails from Proactive Care. I do that, get back to ORD, get on the car rental bus, get my car and head to the hotel. I check in, go to my room and then make a beeline down to the bar/restaurant because I haven't eaten in about 7 hours.

While waiting for my food at the hotel bar, I check my personal email and I see Delta Airlines, Customer Care has emailed me with a case number and the whole 9 yards including 15,000 SM. In it, they apologize for the combination of weather and technical issues that made me divert. That was odd but what made me post this is that they specifically said, Your Loyalty Means a Lot. As a valued corporate customer, we appreciate your company's business... I have NEVER been sent an email from Delta nor has anyone from Delta ever even acknowledged my company when dealing with them in any form of communications. It was always them and me only.

Then, about a half hour later, I get a call from Delta, profusely apologizing and am told that they know I have extra expenses because of it and that they are sending me a check for $100 and wanted to verify my address. Anyone else seeing this lately?

I don't know if this is Delta's new policy of valuing their corporate customers or if it's AMEX's proactive policy of helping their corporate travel customers.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The plane lost an engine? If I find it I get to keep it!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've only ever experienced inflight MX + Diversion once (cabin lost pressure). And it was on a CRJ operated by Skywest I believe. In my case, DL was NOT proactive; practically took me groveling for them to get us anything at all.

So, very glad to hear you were taken care of :-) I hope they did the same for every PAX on your flight!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The plane lost an engine? If I find it I get to keep it!
Well, it wasn't running. No big deal though.

Originally Posted by appleguru
I've only ever experienced inflight MX + Diversion once (cabin lost pressure). And it was on a CRJ operated by Skywest I believe. In my case, DL was NOT proactive; practically took me groveling for them to get us anything at all.

So, very glad to hear you were taken care of :-) I hope they did the same for every PAX on your flight!
I have no idea about the other pax. I ran a couple of complaints through my head because I planned on complaining and I wanted to work my HNL flights from the past two weeks into the complaint. I guess I didn't need to as I never did complain about any of my flights. In fact, I don't think I've complained in a long time.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Glad everyone is safe. That's great to hear you were taken care of. However, that sounds like a pretty frightening 15 minutes plus a long an inconvenient bus ride. I hope that all pax, not just medallions, were proactively compensated.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Glad everyone is safe. That's great to hear you were taken care of. However, that sounds like a pretty frightening 15 minutes plus a long an inconvenient bus ride. I hope that all pax, not just medallions, were proactively compensated.
I knew we were in trouble when the mike was keyed and I heard, "This is the Captain Speaking!" Normally you hear something like, "welllll ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain from the flight deck..." in a sing song sorta way.

We were told to stay in our seats with the seatbelts fastened even after the jet bridge was up to the door and the captain made an announcement then let the site manager get on the horn. After the site manager announced the baggage claim number and the buses, it was a slam bam thank you ma'am process. We were back before an aircraft could have gotten us to ORD.

What's funny was my app kept giving me updates on my flight from MKE to ORD and had my original flight as MSP-MKE. This was happening even while in Illinois on the bus.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and, I finally passed the MQD mark today on that flight to make DM for next year again.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Glad you're safe, and all is well!

Interesting that DL.com shows DL2223 slated to STILL FLY MKE/ORD tomorrow at 6AM - THEN onto MSP at 7:18AM!

I had an inflight MX / diversion once, on USAir. Flying HPN/PIT, we had a hydraulic problem, and diverted to PHL. The Captain was SICKENINGLY sweet on the PA system. Fire trucks / paramedics upon landing. Surprisingly, US was EXTREMELY organized with new BPs ready as we deboarded the broken plane!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Glad everything's OK! I think the people on this WN flight still have you beat though: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...lfunction.html
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Glad you're safe, and all is well!

Interesting that DL.com shows DL2223 slated to STILL FLY MKE/ORD tomorrow at 6AM - THEN onto MSP at 7:18AM!

I had an inflight MX / diversion once, on USAir. Flying HPN/PIT, we had a hydraulic problem, and diverted to PHL. The Captain was SICKENINGLY sweet on the PA system. Fire trucks / paramedics upon landing. Surprisingly, US was EXTREMELY organized with new BPs ready as we deboarded the broken plane!
Thanks! I just got an update through the app on my phone about the departure from MKE.

Originally Posted by Zorak
Glad everything's OK! I think the people on this WN flight still have you beat though: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...lfunction.html
I would agree with you. Nobody on my flight seemed to be very concerned throughout the "ordeal". There was no noticeable difference in the flight compared to a normal flight.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My only true FUBAR situation with Delta happened about 6 years ago, before I even really cared about status and points. Flying SEA-ATL-RDU, and ATL had the perfect storm of weather-related ground stop + ATC computer problems just as my flight arrived (according to the flight crew, we were the last flight allowed to land, everyone after us diverted). Extra time sitting on the plane, followed by promises that everyone was delayed, so connecting flights would not leave. I hustled to get to my next gate (departure board said it was leaving in 30 minutes), but ended up with creeping delays as we waited for the aircraft to reach the gate and for our crew to arrive. We finally boarded around 1am, only to have the flight cancelled when the crew timed out. I was rebooked on a 7am flight. All of the hotels near the airport were booked at that point, so I didn't even bother, just crashed in the airport. Finally made it home, and received a letter from Delta a few days later apologizing and letting me know they were going to deposit 10,000 miles in my account.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta FO, SW Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by yohanson
What's funny was my app kept giving me updates on my flight from MKE to ORD and had my original flight as MSP-MKE. This was happening even while in Illinois on the bus.

Interesting. I had a weather diversion into MIA last month; we ended up at PBI. After landing at West Palm, my account had already posted skypesos for LAX-MIA! We waited a couple hours and then got back on the plane to MIA. Should I have been credited with another segment (PBI-MIA), however short?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu
Interesting. I had a weather diversion into MIA last month; we ended up at PBI. After landing at West Palm, my account had already posted skypesos for LAX-MIA! We waited a couple hours and then got back on the plane to MIA. Should I have been credited with another segment (PBI-MIA), however short?
no ... geez, how many times does this question come up?!?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This sounds pretty minor compared to the apparent uncontained engine failure on a Southwest flight the other day.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...lfunction.html
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta FO, SW Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by jrl767
no ... geez, how many times does this question come up?!?
I don't know, apparently too much for some people.

Thanks for the response!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.