Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Think I Got a Secret Upgrade After a Misconnect - Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder

Hey All,

I was flying Denver to Newark via MSP last night. I misconnected and had particular AWFUL experience dealing with Delta staff in MSP as well.

1. I was at the Delta SC and saw the very tight connection in MSP. I expressed concern to the agent but she told me to get on the plane anyway. Still weary, I went ahead with her advice.

2. The Delta DEN SC agent put a note on my record that I had a tight connection to EWR. She also told me the F & G concourses in MSP are next to each other (they aren't I sprinted and it took me 10 minutes to get to my gate.)

3. We got to MSP and there was another plane at our gate and we had to wait 15-20 minutes. Had the gate been open I would have made the connection.

4. I SPRINTED to the gate at F7. The gate agent was nasty and said she didn't get the note on my record and shut the gate as a result. Instead of helping me out she claimed "she was closing out the gate" and to get on the flight at 7am.

5. At this point I was getting heated. I asked for more support since I was stranded & She basically told me to go away. We exchanged F-Bombs to each other, and I went to the service center.

6. The service center people were not all that much better - "Minnesota Nice" and whatnot. She called a red coat over saying that the gate agent needs to be written up, but the Red Coat didn't show up for 15+ minutes.

7. Red Coat shows up, I demand compensation, told her I didn't want to leave Denver but the SC agent told me to do so and the "F & G" concourses were next to each other. She looks at me as if I'm an outsider, or just very distrusting in general. She says "Well the F & G concourses are next to each other" and this was a "weather related" event. I said F & G are NOT close to each other, and this was not my fault. We agreed to disagree.

8. Then randomly a non red coat manager shows up with a puss on her face saying "I've been using arm gestures" (seriously ... Minnesota) to which I say "yes, I'm not happy and I talk with my hands and arms a lot". I said that's discriminatory and you shouldn't be treating a soon to be Gold like this. She then says to the Red Coat, "Close out the record, he gets no compensation." Stranded in MSP, no hotel, no voucher for cabs, nada.

9. I finally call up a buddy of mine and head to his house in Robbinsdale to stay overnight. We actually used to work together and had a great time going out. As I show up I check my flight (Delta #2501) and I'm randomly upgraded to seat 1D on a packed 319.

10. I was in awe - was this a "Secret Upgrade" based on my status and misconnecting? Who would make this decision? That's my main question here - a total game changer to not completely abandon Delta for American after this terrible episode.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I believe IROPS passengers are still prioritized for UG on their rebooking, but I'm not sure of that. It would explain better what happened, though.

That aside, you sound like you might be a real treat to deal with. If you managed to tick off more than a few people at MSP, I think you may need to point the finger back at yourself as to who was treating folks poorly. It is nice when Delta holds flights for short connections, but they are not under obligation to do so. Your colorful language and what sounds like might be a decent bit of yelling isn't going to get your flight back to the gate.

Why was your connection in MSP so tight? Weather-related delay? We are short on details as to why you deserved vouchers or other compensation as well. Lots of conjecture and gesticulating here with little substance.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
I believe IROPS passengers are still prioritized for UG on their rebooking, but I'm not sure of that. It would explain better what happened, though.

That aside, you sound like you might be a real treat to deal with. If you managed to tick off more than a few people at MSP, I think you may need to point the finger back at yourself as to who was treating folks poorly. It is nice when Delta holds flights for short connections, but they are not under obligation to do so. Your colorful language and what sounds like might be a decent bit of yelling isn't going to get your flight back to the gate.

Why was your connection in MSP so tight? Weather-related delay? We are short on details as to why you deserved vouchers or other compensation as well. Lots of conjecture and gesticulating here with little substance.
Excuse me - Might it be the passive aggressive nature of some MN people and me being a loud / direct person rub some people the wrong way? Probably, but that's on them to deal with it.

Secondly, I will say the agent really didn't give a damn about helping me out and basically said "You've been booked on a flight at 7am" and literally said "go away" Now if you were in my shoes and try to be mild mannered I'd like to see to try.

Third, I was concerned since the connection was tight, hence why I went to the SC in Denver to gather their thoughts on re-booking. It was the agent at the club that told me to get on the plane because "F & G" are next to each other. As a matter of fact they were confident that I was going to do so. I went with their advice. The weather in DEN was crappy and clear in MSP - they might call it weather related but with the gate occupied I wouldn't call it that. That's unfortunately Delta behaving a little like United and making up things to cover themselves.

Fourth - you even bother to read my post verbatim or just one of those people who thinks the gate agents are always right? You might call it "acting out of line" but maybe that's because some of these people are white trash and can't deal with direct values?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This whole thing reads like a troll post....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This whole thing reads like a troll post....
It's not - it's a serious question. Not a troll post at all. I like Delta and want to find out the answer to a question. But thanks for your brainy insight.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

I'm one of the first people on here to blame a gate agent when they're wrong.

This time, I think you gave yourself unrealistic expectations and then you unreasonably took out your frustration on an employee, who in turn got defensive and told you to buzz off. Adding your DYKWIA attitude (I'm about to be a Gold Medallion so you should give me something), I think you might be used to yelling to get your way and MSP wasn't having any of it.

If the gate agent booked you on the next available flight, I don't know why you're saying the gate agent wasn't doing anything to help you out. It looks like they did exactly what they needed to help you out.

A remark in your reservation doesn't tell the gate agent anything unless they actively pull up your reservation and actively read the remarks. F and G are next to each other, but MSP is a large airport.

As for the upgrade, if you were cleared for an upgrade on your original flight, you may have been rebooked in F on your rebooked flight.

I'd be very frustrated if I rebooked a misconnecting customer on the next available flight and all he could do is use confrontational gestures at me while accusing me of doing nothing and demanding compensation for a weather delay.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
It's not - it's a serious question. Not a troll post at all. I like Delta and want to find out the answer to a question. But thanks for your brainy insight.
Which you could have asked without the background story in which you brag about exchanging f-bombs with a DL agent (something tells me the F-bombs were a one sided exchange from your end) and then refer to the agents as "white trash". Oh, and you brag about being "a soon-to-be-gold" - ROFL....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Excuse me - Might it be the passive aggressive nature of some MN people and me being a loud / direct person rub some people the wrong way? Probably, but that's on them to deal with it.

Secondly, I will say the agent really didn't give a damn about helping me out and basically said "You've been booked on a flight at 7am" and literally said "go away" Now if you were in my shoes and try to be mild mannered I'd like to see to try.

Third, I was concerned since the connection was tight, hence why I went to the SC in Denver to gather their thoughts on re-booking. It was the agent at the club that told me to get on the plane because "F & G" are next to each other. As a matter of fact they were confident that I was going to do so. I went with their advice. The weather in DEN was crappy and clear in MSP - they might call it weather related but with the gate occupied I wouldn't call it that. That's unfortunately Delta behaving a little like United and making up things to cover themselves.

Fourth - you even bother to read my post verbatim or just one of those people who thinks the gate agents are always right? You might call it "acting out of line" but maybe that's because some of these people are white trash and can't deal with direct values?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the gate agent - even though I probably shouldn't from your tone on this response - but by taking a sour attitude to further employees you interacted with, you spoiled an opportunity at any goodwill gesture from Delta.

F & G are next to each other, albeit lengthwise. The reality is that most concourses "next to each other" in MSP will require walking to the entrance/exit of the current concourse and entering another, so the agent wasn't out of line in saying that (and couldn't have known you would be further delayed getting a gate in MSP).

I absolutely did read your entire post and reply, as painful as it might have been to do so. Nice touch with the pejorative generalization at the end of your reply there, too.

IBTL.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:24 pm

8. Then randomly a non red coat manager shows up with a puss on her face saying "I've been using arm gestures" (seriously ... Minnesota) to which I say "yes, I'm not happy and I talk with my hands and arms a lot". I said that's discriminatory and you shouldn't be treating a soon to be Gold like this. She then says to the Red Coat, "Close out the record, he gets no compensation." Stranded in MSP, no hotel, no voucher for cabs, nada.
Instant Classic--- the STBGDYKWIA!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
I'm one of the first people on here to blame a gate agent when they're wrong.

This time, I think you gave yourself unrealistic expectations and then you unreasonably took out your frustration on an employee, who in turn got defensive and told you to buzz off. Adding your DYKWIA attitude (I'm about to be a Gold Medallion so you should give me something), I think you might be used to yelling to get your way and MSP wasn't having any of it.

If the gate agent booked you on the next available flight, I don't know why you're saying the gate agent wasn't doing anything to help you out. It looks like they did exactly what they needed to help you out.

A remark in your reservation doesn't tell the gate agent anything unless they actively pull up your reservation and actively read the remarks. F and G are next to each other, but MSP is a large airport.

As for the upgrade, if you were cleared for an upgrade on your original flight, you may have been rebooked in F on your rebooked flight.
Wrong - again SHE was the one who used profanity first. I followed up with my "colorful language"

I only dropped the "soon to be gold" thing once. The first thing that popped in my head are these threads about over-exhausting the status in customer service relations. I was NOT trying to be that way - I was saying it objectively because this was not a normal situation.

This still doesn't answer the question of a secret upgrade because I was in C+ originally and got a "seat request" document and then randomly 1D a few hours later. There was no way I would have made that UG - Every seat in first was full.

People you don't like what you're reading don't post here. Yeah sorry, these people are white trash.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Perhaps the only seats left on that flight in the morning were in the F cabin? Or did you check in previously and were seated somewhere in Y-?

Which you could have asked without the background story in which you brag about exchanging f-bombs with a DL agent (something tells me the F-bombs were a one sided exchange from your end) and then refer to the agents as "white trash". Oh, and you brag about being "a soon-to-be-gold" - ROFL....
I read that part over two more times before realizing that means he's a cursing Silver Medallion demanding compensation for his status. I wonder if this can be added to the DYKWIA thread?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People you don't like what you're reading don't post here. Yeah sorry, these people are white trash.
a total game changer to not completely abandon Delta for American after this terrible episode.
Please go fly AA or UA so that we won't have to worry about ending up on a flight with you. You sound like a real peach.

Then again, I guess if one is flying to EWR, they have every right to be in a foul mood....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the gate agent - even though I probably shouldn't from your tone on this response - but by taking a sour attitude to further employees you interacted with, you spoiled an opportunity at any goodwill gesture from Delta.

F & G are next to each other, albeit lengthwise. The reality is that most concourses "next to each other" in MSP will require walking to the entrance/exit of the current concourse and entering another, so the agent wasn't out of line in saying that (and couldn't have known you would be further delayed getting a gate in MSP).

I absolutely did read your entire post and reply, as painful as it might have been to do so. Nice touch with the pejorative generalization at the end of your reply there, too.

IBTL.
OMG the "F & G" are next to each other is complete BS - That's like saying Terminals A & B at EWR are next to each other. This logic can't be used for tight connections. I was very concerned about this in DEN, told them F & G and LONG concourses and not comfortable with the overall connection.

Painful? Give me a break. And being nice? I don't care - not everyone can be mild mannered and have weak tone.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Please go fly AA or UA so that we won't have to worry about ending up on a flight with you. You sound like a real peach.

Then again, I guess if one is flying to EWR, they have every right to be in a foul mood....

Gotta love these "high and mighty" FT people - trolling on these threads to make people seem like their actions are terrible.

Oh please - grow up. Yes we should all look up to someone who is from Ohio and living in the Pacific Northwest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.