Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should Delta have been more cooperative in this situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

My wife and I just completed a vacation to Spain. Initial ticket booked was a low award category round trip ATL-BCN. After making the initial international booking we began to finalize travel plans in country. These plans resulted in us booking a Vueling flight BIO-BCN on the morning of our scheduled BCN-ATL flight.

You may guess where this is going, but our BIO-BCN flight was delayed 5.5 hours and we would miss our BCN-ATL flight. Vueling flat our refused to offer any assistance and simply stated that they would fly us to BCN at the delayed departure time.

In an attempt to be proactive and hope that Delta may assist I called the GM line and let them know that we would not arrive to BCN in time to catch the ATL flight. I requested that the agent book us onto either a KLM of AF flight from BIO that would connect in AMS or CDG and then onto ATL. In these instances the agent went down the path of rebooking and all change in fare, fees, miles, etc that would entail. No even exchange was offered - I would have hoped that they would offer me something to help, but I understand their position in this instance as I am in a different departing city.

Now onto my main question of Delta's position. After discussing with the agent the exorbitant costs of rerouting the day of through CDG/AMS I said "ok, we are going to have to take the delayed flight to BCN and then need to rebook onto tomorrow's flight to ATL". At this point they started down the same rebooking process with change in fare, fees, miles, etc as if I was changing my flight. I did not have enough miles in my account to rebook the flights at the higher reward level so the only option I was offered was buying new one way tickets - each ticket > $2000.

With the option of being delayed a day getting home and having to incur and additional night of travel expense and still buy new tickets to get home I decided to buy a DL code share on AF through CDG that got us home same day. Total cost for the two tickets came to be $5600. Well more than our entire 8 days in Spain.

Lesson learned to me, book everything through the same airline if flying day of. I have flew many many miles and every flight I have ever missed has always been due to the airlines fault and was on travel of a singular PRN and thus rebooked pretty painlessly. I have never been late to the airport, hung out too long in the SkyClub, zoned out at the gate and missed my flight - all cases on missing the flight that would be wholly on the passenger. I know this happens and it happens a lot. Does Delta always stiff these passengers with costs that can be as substantial as what happened to me? There were two college aged girls also on the same routing as us, what if they didn't have the funds to pony up > $2k per person?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
In short no. You took the risk of two separate tickets and it backfired.

Originally Posted by jawilson20
they started down the same rebooking process with change in fare, fees, miles, etc as if I was changing my flight.
You were.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Bottom line, you missed your flight from BCN because you chose to fly a Delta competitor (or at least a member of a competitor alliance) in order to save money/miles. Unlikely to be cut a lot of slack in that scenario.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You wern't 'stiffed'

You missed your DL flight and so had to buy a new ticket. Happens to people every day of the year.

As to your college girls yes they would do the same to them but likely let them call their parents to get them to pay. Just like you'd call a family member / friend if you couldn't pay.

As to Vueling your missing your DL flight is nothing to do with them. Your contract with them was to get you to BCN. Which they did. Yes they were late but there other remedies open to you for that such as EU261 compensation (dependign on the cause of the delay)

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Aug 25, 2016 at 10:01 am
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You called in to change your flights. DL quoted you the change fee + fare difference to do so. That is exactly what you were entitled to.

I don't know your fare basis or the value of your BCN-ATL segment, but generally speaking if you cancel prior to departure, you at least have the cost of the ticket less the change/cancellation fee as a credit. If it was significant, you would have that as a credit for future DL travel or if you had stayed on DL metal.

That said, I would still have taken the delayed VY flight. You might have found a DL agent at BCN more willing to rebook onto the next day's flight, possibly at just the change fee or maybe with all fees waived. But, that is not clear as DL has apparently cracked the whip on agents simply waiving fees and overriding its systems.

It's a minor consolation, but don't forget to claim the EC 261/2004 compensation of EUR 250 for each of you for the delay/cancellation (presuming that the delay was not somehow excepted).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Where to begin . . . . . .

First of all . . . .

Does Delta always stiff these passengers with costs that can be as substantial as what happened to me?
Delta didn't stiff you. I'd suggest that, you knew the risk, but, just didn't think it would happen! You probably should have planned to stay in BCN a nite before returning to the USA.

If you were on a paid ticket, you likely would have just incurred a change fee - something like $300 each?

You don't say if you were flying in Y or J.

I'd suggest that, it might have been MUCH cheaper to book a round trip BCN/ATL/BCN, and not use the return tix, rather than buying walk-up one-ways.

Checking BCN ---> ATL leaving tomorow . . . .

Round trip is: €1,268.47
One way is: €2,517.82
per ticket in coach.

Should they have done more? Simple answer - no, sorry. Could they - perhaps, if you were a PM or DM? (You don't mention if you have status or not) Yes, they could have.

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:21 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know your fare basis or the value of your BCN-ATL segment, but generally speaking if you cancel prior to departure, you at least have the cost of the ticket less the change/cancellation fee as a credit. If it was significant, you would have that as a credit for future DL travel or if you had stayed on DL metal.
Just a point of info: It was an award ticket.

I did not have enough miles in my account to rebook the flights at the higher reward level so the only option I was offered was buying new one way tickets
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Where to begin . . . . . .

Should they have done more? Simple answer - no, sorry. Could they - perhaps, if you were a PM or DM? (You don't mention if you have status or not) Yes, they could have.

I am GM. I absolutely understand that by the book they didn't have to do anything. What is going through my mind is the instances that they have done something for me in the US (not related to missed flights, but certainly experiences in which they passed on additional revenue to help my experience as a customer). In this instance they effectively had the opportunity to hold me hostage as I had no bargaining power. 1) they likely know that based on my historical spending that I have the means to purchase such pricey tickets and 2) I was literally on another continent from home.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:34 am

The only other thing that you could have possibly done is take the delayed flight and put yourself at the mercy of the ground staff in BCN...highly likely that you would have gotten the same answer but sometimes the airport is more lenient.

Think of it this way, if you are having a big party and your catering cancels on you at the last minute, the venue isn't going to give you a refund because you had to cancel the event. Especially if the venue has catering that could have provided you with your food.

In this case DL does have partners, AF & KL that could have provided you with service to BIO, but you didn't like their price so you went to an outside vendor and it bit you this time.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:37 am

I am GM. I absolutely understand that by the book they didn't have to do anything. What is going through my mind is the instances that they have done something for me in the US (not related to missed flights, but certainly experiences in which they passed on additional revenue to help my experience as a customer). In this instance they effectively had the opportunity to hold me hostage as I had no bargaining power. 1) they likely know that based on my historical spending that I have the means to purchase such pricey tickets and 2) I was literally on another continent from home.
Highly doubtful that the CSR went through your SkyMiles profile and looked at the price of your past tickets and assumed you had the ability to pay that amount. Virtually a zero percent chance the individual you were talking to even looked at that info, much less used that in determining whether or not to offer you such a large exception.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM
Vueling flat our refused to offer any assistance and simply stated that they would fly us to BCN at the delayed departure time.

They had no obligation to offer you any assistance. You bought a ticket from them, and despite the fact that the flight was delayed, they offered to get you to the destination that you contracted with them to get you to. If you look in the fine print of just about any ticket all it really says it they will get you from point A to point B. There is no real guarantee of getting you there at a specified time because things happen all the time that delay flights. Same thing as when someone complains that "my flight was delayed and I missed the concert and XYZ airline refused to reimburse me for the concert tickets." Vueling contracted only to get you to a particular aiport, they didn't contract to get you onto a particular Delta flight.

I called the GM line.... No even exchange was offered

Because you weren't asking for an even exchange. You were trying to change your departure city.

tomorrow's flight to ATL". At this point they started down the same rebooking process with change in fare, fees, miles, etc as if I was changing my flight.

You WERE changing your flight. You were asking to be accommodated on a later flight, that may well have been pricier for whatever reason from the very beginning, and certainly to book just about any ticket at the last minute is going to be pricier

Lesson learned to me, book everything through the same airline if flying day of.

It's a tough lesson that many have learned the hard way.

I have never been late to the airport, hung out too long in the SkyClub, zoned out at the gate and missed my flight - all cases on missing the flight that would be wholly on the passenger. I know this happens and it happens a lot. Does Delta always stiff these passengers
This was wholly on you, too. It really doesn't matter WHY someone missed a flight.... were they daydreaming in the Sky Club or did they just not get to the airport in time? Doesn't matter. In your case, you simply weren't going to get to the airport in time. Whether that's because you booked a separate flight and it got delayed, or your car broke down, or you overslept, or your boss kept you late at a meeting, or you were throwing up in the bathroom.... it doesn't matter. Delta didn't prevent you from taking the flight so they have no obligation to bend the rules and make a special exception for you.

This is one of those cases when travel insurance certainly would have been helpful. These are exactly the kinds of situations that make it valuable.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM
You gambled and lost. Delta did nothing wrong. GM does not really
cut it for favors, not that any level does, but GM is really not a high value client for Delta. As someone said, I would have probably tried to resolve once you got to BCN. although if their CS agents in BCN are outsourced, they probably would not have had authority to do much anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
So all the people going to the defense of DL, I BELIEVE (no basis of fact here) maybe the original poster was hoping DL could have tried to help?

Legally they dont have to, but sometimes appearing to bend the rule for a customer makes them extremely happy, and loyal.

Its amazing what a happy customer can do, and go home to friend and family stating "Wow DL really cares about their customers you really should fly them. etc etc"
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:48 am

Delta owed you nothing here. You gambled that you would get back to BCN in time and you didn't. You could have chosen to arrive back in BCN the night before but chose not to. Now you know for the future.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:49 am

Straws, you're grasping at them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.