Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hi! Rare fliers could use some advice for upcoming YYC-SEA-KOA-HNL-SLC-YYC flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi! Rare fliers could use some advice for upcoming YYC-SEA-KOA-HNL-SLC-YYC flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks, did a little browsing of this forum and couldn't really find what I was hoping for so I thought I'd just start a new thread and ask some of you nice folks. I hope that's OK.

My wife and I are celebrating our anniversary next weekend, and as a bit of a celebration we are flying to Hawaii for the first time! We're getting a little excited - we know it's Sept and weather in North America is still pretty good but hey, any day on a beach is better than not.

Which leads me to why I'm posting this thread (and I hope it's OK to do so).

We don't fly a ton much anymore. I used to fly a fair amount of domestic (Canada) for business but haven't in some time and I could really use some seat advice. We are flying Delta First (P) and I would be curious to know if there are recommendations for seats from you fellow travellers and crew that post here. I looked at Seatguru - but to be honest I don't trust it. For our mainland-hawaii flights it shows as pods and I doubt it is.

So, here is our schedule: (All "First (P)" class)

Sept 3
#4677 YYC-SEA CRJ700
#1096 SEA-KOA 757

Sept 19
#6864 OGG-HNL 717 (not really worried about seat selection here)
#1104 HNL-SLC 767-300
#4840 SLC-YYC CRJ700

I know the CRJs aren't exactly renowned for comfort, but the 757 and 767 seem to be real wild cards from what I've researched (I'm not sure how they will be equipped) and that evening flight back in particular I would like to make sure I get something that isn't a terribly reclining seat or something as I have a real tough time sleeping on AC.

Anyone familiar with those flights and AC they use on them that can give input, I would be super appreciative. We are really looking forward to my Delta flights!

Also related - checking in at the Hawaiian counter in Hawaii (codeshare) I presume the bags are transferred to the Delta AC automatically, right?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, slidebite
I am moving your thread to the Delta Forum.
Enjoy your time in Hawaii and Happy Anniversary.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:57 pm

Aloha! I have some limited experience with DL up front so here are my recommendations:
* YYC SEA - no experience
* SEA KOA - I prefer the bulkhead. You can't stretch out your legs under the seat in front but no one reclines into you and it's easier to get in and out - the person in the aisle doesn't have to stand up to let you pass. Also I like the TV monitors on the bulkhead, although I think they are a little smaller than the seat back monitors. You'll be close to the galley so there will be light and noise but you probably won't be sleeping anyway and it'll be easy to get the crew's attention when you want a refill I am partial to the right hand side and I know for a fact that the 757-300 has more legroom in the bulkhead on the right, but I don't know about the 752.
* OGG HNL - doesn't really matter but score the bulkhead if possible
* HNL SLC - I've only been in row 2AB for this aircraft (old style 767); it's comfortable enough but not as much space as the 757 in my opinion. The TV monitors are smaller than the 757 too but that won't make or break anything. I'll be on this same flight next weekend in the bulkhead so if there is any appreciable difference, I'll let you know. Enjoy the mai tais!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEA-KOA and HNL-SLC will be on plain domestic FC equipped 757-200 and 767-300 (the 76P/76Q) models. If you see a "pod" shown on seatguru, you are looking at the wrong model aircraft. I suspect you are looking at the 75S model 757. delta.com is showing a 75D model on SEA-KOA on Sep 3. The FC sections on these are nothing to get excited about (particularly the domestic 763 which are fairly narrow for even domestic FC). You'll have a bit more seat pitch and recline on them than the coach seats, but they aren't particularly comfortable to try to sleep in.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 24, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

I really appreciate the replies and sorry about posting in the wrong forum. Are bulkheads usually pretty good in the CRJ700? Not really concerned about underseat storage.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The only problem I see is if the 767 is a domestic 767 instead of an international one. Domestic 767s are disliked as the worst F seat DL has. They're basically no wider then coach on most other DL aircraft.

If it's an international 767 then it has lie-flats. Not sure which it is since DL uses both from time to time on the route.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Pretty sure it's a crappy domestic from everything I've seen tonight. Oh well.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
AFAIK DL1104 is always a domestic 767. It will be one of the 4 ETOPS birds: N140LL, N1402A, N143DA, N144DA.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking I'll try for row 1 for each flight if possible as I really don't care about under-seat storage in FC and the wife can usually just place her purse next to her body and the FAs don't mind.

Seems like that 767-332 will be the worst leg which, of course, is the overnight leg when decent FC would have been most desirable.

Oh well.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL, CO, UA, HH
I just flew the CRJ from YYC-SEA. It's only about an hour flight - I wouldn't worry about it. If you get Comfort+ or First, it's even better.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there are no bad F seats on the CR7

imo the bulkhead on the reconfigured 20F 757 is terrible ... and I'm 5-6
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I'm also flying a lot on DL out of YYC.

One thing DL doesn't really make clear is that if you are confirmed in the F cabin to/from Canada - you also get SkyClub access throughout your itinerary. Sometimes the SC agents scan the BP and look confused or ask for a membership or Amex card. Just politely remind them you are flying international on a premium cabin ticket and you should be all set.

I like the bulkheads on CR7/CR9 but only if I'm checking bags (there's no underfloor stowage so even your small bag must go in overhead bins).

Enjoy Hawaii!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I think I am in row 1 of each flight now except the 757 where I am in either 3 or 4.
Thanks for the info folks. Appreciate it.

e: Regarding Skyclub, I heard that, but my layovers are pretty close to 1 hour for each so probably not enough to enjoy much hospitality by the time I get orientated and find the gates in the airport

ee: Just looked - actually have a 3 hour layover for the SLC-YYC leg. Skyclub will definitely be nice for that!

Last edited by slidebite; Aug 25, 2016 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:03 pm
Suspended

seatguru.com's advice is usually reasonably accurate
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slidebite
I think I am in row 1 of each flight now except the 757 where I am in either 3 or 4.
Thanks for the info folks. Appreciate it.

e: Regarding Skyclub, I heard that, but my layovers are pretty close to 1 hour for each so probably not enough to enjoy much hospitality by the time I get orientated and find the gates in the airport

ee: Just looked - actually have a 3 hour layover for the SLC-YYC leg. Skyclub will definitely be nice for that!
Just so you don't have your bubble burst at the airport....how do you have access to the SkyClub. Just asking because Domestic F doesn't provide access. The only seating category that guarantees access is D1 internationally or JFK-SFO/LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.