Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Master Thread in the New York City Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1786613-lga-traffic-nightmare.html
Print Wikipost

DL and LGA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:21 pm

I was on Delta 781 LGA-ATL today, 9/2 (noon departure). I arrived at LGA on the Q70 bus, which stops at terminal B arrival level before proceeding to terminal D. No traffic issues. I would note the "meltdown" widely reported was precipitated by an accident on the Grand Central Parkway. Airport traffic today was heavy and moving steadily.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
As Delta passengers we're pretty lucky since the DL side of the project is still about a year away. As I said before, unless you're traveling between the MAT and C/D, the impact is somewhat minimal for now. But when they break ground on C/D, I, for one, will be sticking to JFK!
I use JFK all the time. I won't be caught dead taking my luggage on a damn bus or caught in traffic. Give me trains or give me death.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Can you still walk from D to B with the construction?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Can you still walk from D to B with the construction?
I believe so but it has gotten somewhat more confusing. That said there are many reports of the airport shuttle buses being very slow due to the traffic, so if you are going to make the journey, walking is probably better than taking the bus.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
From this week's Travel Weekly:

Delta receives OK to do $4B LaGuardia project

Delta will begin work on a $4 billion, 37-gate terminal at LaGuardia later this summer.

The announcement comes after the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey gave final approval Thursday evening to a lease agreement with Delta. The new terminal will replace LaGuardia's existing terminals C and D. It is scheduled for completion in 2026.
Full article:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...uardia-project
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Port Authority will kick in $600 million but Delta's share is $3.4 billion.

That's a stunning price tag for Delta to finance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ne...-idUSKBN1A52SM
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
That's a pretty impressive commitment by Delta, but I think all of us have noticed that over the past several years Delta has much more firmly ensconced itself in New York (especially LGA where I don't think they can stack any more commuter jets on the tarmac) and a lot of banners posted about how they are #1 in New York so while the size and scope of this commitment is a lot, it does seem to be in line with the expansion of their New York presence.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Miesque
That's a pretty impressive commitment by Delta, but I think all of us have noticed that over the past several years Delta has much more firmly ensconced itself in New York (especially LGA where I don't think they can stack any more commuter jets on the tarmac) and a lot of banners posted about how they are #1 in New York so while the size and scope of this commitment is a lot, it does seem to be in line with the expansion of their New York presence.
DL specifically acquired the right to be NYC's #1 carrier when they traded most of their DCA slots to US in exchange for a bunch of LGA slots.

Certainly a trade that ranks among the worst airline deals in recent memory. An amazing steal for DL, but a terrible deal long-term for USdbaAA
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
DL specifically acquired the right to be NYC's #1 carrier when they traded most of their DCA slots to US in exchange for a bunch of LGA slots.

Certainly a trade that ranks among the worst airline deals in recent memory. An amazing steal for DL, but a terrible deal long-term for USdbaAA
I remember that and it did seem even then as a bad move for Useless Air
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Certainly a trade that ranks among the worst airline deals in recent memory.
I didn't really go to DCA much when DL had a focus city there but what gates did DL give up at DCA? US pretty much gave up all of Terminal C at LGA except for a few gates which AA now uses so what did DL give up. I can always remember DL being in Gates 15-22 and no where else since the Terminal B/C complex opened at DCA back in 1997. DL still uses almost every gate in that pier except for Gate 16 used by UA and Gate 18 in which AS and UA. I know CO used Gates 10-14 and UA used some gates at the end of the Concourse that is now used by B6/VX/and AA.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

Stupid decision for sure, but it was just US then, no AA merger in progress.

Amazingly, they still had to give up some LGA slots to get the merger through. Fools.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ty97
Stupid decision for sure, but it was just US then, no AA merger in progress.

Amazingly, they still had to give up some LGA slots to get the merger through. Fools.
Technically still is US, just kept the AA name.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:12 pm

It's not about gates, but landing slots. DCA and LGA are both slot restricted.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Technically still is US, just kept the AA name.
Still US management sure, but there was no merger going on when the decision to swap slots was made. I wonder if they still would have made the trade if the merger had occurred prior (I expect not, but who knows)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Still US management sure, but there was no merger going on when the decision to swap slots was made. I wonder if they still would have made the trade if the merger had occurred prior (I expect not, but who knows)
Come to think of it, I image that USdbaAA would have been forced to divest all of those LGA slots anyway, since they still had to offload a few even after the deal with DL. If the trade hadn't happened, perhaps DL could have acquired the same LGA slots, while keeping its DCA focus city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.