Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL fully moving to T3 at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This also means DL Arrivals Lounge for all DL flights (instead of having to trek over from T4 or going to the Yotel).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Duke787
This also means DL Arrivals Lounge for all DL flights (instead of having to trek over from T4 or going to the Yotel).
Do you think that lounge will be able to cope with the influx of additional passengers?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by markbb99
Do you think that lounge will be able to cope with the influx of additional passengers?
You're right. I was in this lounge for the first time about a month ago and it wasn't all that large. I think arrivals lounges are fantastic and very under-utilised.

Perhaps this surge in extra PAX will mean increased revenue and profitability which will mean an expansion?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lewis42
You're right. I was in this lounge for the first time about a month ago and it wasn't all that large. I think arrivals lounges are fantastic and very under-utilised.

Perhaps this surge in extra PAX will mean increased revenue and profitability which will mean an expansion?
what extra passengers?

These are the same passengers that previously landed at T4 but who will now land at T3.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL and VS are getting close. I hope they continue to get along.
Well, DL owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic, so I wouldn't worry about them getting along!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But this means that all DL connections with SkyTeam partners at LHR will be a pain.
Although some routings are possible, it seems that DL offers very few published connections on its website that use LHR. And using one terminal for all its LHR flights make a lot of sense for DL and VS in case of IIROPs due to winter storms etc back in the USA.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
what extra passengers?

These are the same passengers that previously landed at T4 but who will now land at T3.
Extra passengers landing at T3 visiting the VS arrivals lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But these are DL passengers already!

You wrote

As these are existing passengers there isn't any extra revenue!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

DL passengers can only access DL Arrivals lounge, not VS arrivals lounge so this change won't have any impact on VS Arrivals Lounge.

It could however impact the DL Arrivals lounge though as you noted Arrivals lounges are very under-utilized so it might only make a difference on the margins.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:59 am

But these are DL passengers already!

You wrote

As these are existing passengers there isn't any extra revenue!
Poor choice of words. My bad.

I also just found out that DL passengers arriving in T3 do not get access to VS arrivals lounge which I assumed they would.

What I thought was: Since there will now be more DL passengers arriving in T3 they can access the VS arrivals lounge. With more people using the lounge, the lounge will get more money. More money & overcrowded leads to maybe a bigger arrivals lounge.

Correct me if I am wrong, which apparently I am a lot in this topic. Lounges get paid based on number of people who enter. Every time I enter a lounge the lounge charges the airline £10 (or other figure). If I am a J passenger and don't enter the lounge, the lounge does not get to charge the airline. This still applies to lounges that are airline operated. If the number of passengers entering the VS lounge goes from 100 to 120 / day they now have an extra £200 (using previous figure) in revenue.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DL has it's own arrivals lounge at T3 (it was the former AC one before they moved to T2) so that's why passengers arriving on DL metal don't get to access VS revivals.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL has it's own arrivals lounge at T3 (it was the former AC one before they moved to T2) so that's why passengers arriving on DL metal don't get to access VS revivals.
Never really understood the reason for DL opening their own arrivals lounge in T3 since they share everything else with VS.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Never really understood the reason for DL opening their own arrivals lounge in T3 since they share everything else with VS.
I think it was a matter of the VS arrivals lounge getting overcrowded, and presumably there wasn't really any way to make it bigger, so DL just added its own to create more capacity for the partnership.

Though I think the DL arrivals lounge is quite a bit smaller than the VS one, so the additional DL flights in T3 may raise concerns about the capacity of the DL arrivals lounge. Presumably, since moving the other DL flights to T3 has been the end plan for quite a while now, the DL arrivals lounge was built with the full schedule in mind, but who knows. Perhaps if the DL lounge does get overcrowded they can set up an arrangement to send individual overflow passengers back up to the VS lounge as needed and when the VS lounge has capacity. (The VS arrivals lounge managed to handle reasonably well when it was doing VS + some DL before the DL arrivals lounge opened, so presumably now that it is doing VS only, it has at least a bit of excess capacity.)
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mirk
No mention of FB Plat or ST E+ down there. From the last time I was flying on DL out of T3 my investigations showed that a FB Plat should have access to the ClubHouse while a FB Gold to the No1.
Other then DL elites no other Skyteam partners should get access unless flying D1. I've seen confusion sometimes when an agent reads a DL issued boarding pass that says Plat on it and doesn't recognize that it's not a DL but other Skyteam Partner Plat.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
All DL Flights out of T3 at LHR

I'm surprised I don't see a thread on this--which I may have missed--but I see where, starting the middle of next month--all Delta flights out of LHR will use T3, instead of the current system where certain cities use T3 and others T4.^

Will that give access to the VS Clubhouse for folks flying on DL metal in Delta One (Business), or does DL have it's own lounge in T3? I've flown VS out of there and used the Clubhouse, but my DL flights to ATL have been out of T4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.