Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NRT-KIX/BKK/JFK axed in October; MSP-NRT next; LAX-HND to 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-KIX/BKK/JFK axed in October; MSP-NRT next; LAX-HND to 777

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not in terms of daily crossings. Incorporating today's changes, this winter AA will have 15 daily trans-Pacific crossings and Delta will have 16. If AA gets LAXPEK, they tie.

No doubt Delta is still far bigger with it's intra-Asia and Hawaii/Guam flying, but from the mainland, they offer a very comparable network.
If you include AA's JV partner JAL, doesn't AA surpass DL?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Does this mean that NRT-SIN will get axed without replacement soon? I have to believe that a significant number of people on the JFK-NRT route were connecting to the SIN flight.
I'm wondering about that since JFK is one of the tpac gateways I use from BOS... realistically now I'm left with DTW. By whacking the feeder flights it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that revenues will drop on the connections to places like SIN. The NRT-SIN flight typically has a heavy paid J load and is often full in both cabins. Cut out your feeders and that route dries up as well.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM, American Airlines EXP, United Airlines Premier 1K
there doesn't seem to be as much sadness and anger here on the DL forum for the NRT-BKK route cancellation as there was when UA cancelled their NRT-BKK route a while back.

I wonder why?!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deltadiamondflyer
there doesn't seem to be as much sadness and anger here on the DL forum for the NRT-BKK route cancellation as there was when UA cancelled their NRT-BKK route a while back.

I wonder why?!
I don't think the NRT-BKK was a heavy business route. JFK-NRT-SIN obviously is. Singapore defacto is the financial capital of SE Asia. NYC is the US/Western finance capital.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:51 pm

I wonder why?!
The anger will kick in once word gets out. This will end my Delta travel. Time to start looking at alternatives for my 7+ trips per year to SE Asia. Sad to see BKK go.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AMEX Reserve
Would it be worth calling in now to change my routing to BKK next spring or will they make me wait till they load the changes into their system?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: DM/3MM

I wonder why?!
UA has far better Asian partners than DL does to get to BKK.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Delta is playing a dangerous game here. Europe is a basket case and J yields to the old continent are dropping (tons of extra capacity online since el cheapo carriers entered the market). South America is a basket case too although Argentina is doing a little better. Then again, AA has locked them up.
Regarding Australia, I am sure it is not a huge J market and even then, OW probably does better there.
Leaves us with Asia. Which is the region Delta is suddenly snubbing??
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
As others have said, the JFK-NRT drop is quite a surprise.

What will the routing be to BKK and KIX now. BKK via PVG? What about KIX?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I work in Asia but live in Dallas. I was going to book BKK DFW just today in J. Was thinking of giving Delta One a go. Oh well back to ANA.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Leaves us with Asia. Which is the region Delta is suddenly snubbing??
Well, I can certainly see, in theory, the long term logic behind transiting their intra-Asia hub from NRT to PVG given the long term expectations of the Japanese vs Chinese economies... but in practice PVG simply isn't there yet. It suffers from (a) the notoriously unreliable Chinese air traffic space, (b) poor international-to-international transit facilities and (c) a vastly inferior product provided by their partner MU.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not in terms of daily crossings. Incorporating today's changes, this winter AA will have 15 daily trans-Pacific crossings and Delta will have 16. If AA gets LAXPEK, they tie.

No doubt Delta is still far bigger with it's intra-Asia and Hawaii/Guam flying, but from the mainland, they offer a very comparable network.
I think Delta should have focused on LAX instead of spending so much $$ on trying to make Seattle its transpac hub. In retrospect I think AA has the right strategy - even though LAX is farther out of the way than Seattle the O&D is so much bigger and with good weather you can have pretty tight connection times at LAX and much more premium paying passengers. Aside from the pacific NW I don't see too many high paying J flyers wanting to connect in Seattle on a pacific trip then have to sit in a crappy domestic F seat to the other side of the country when there are so many other connection options closer to the east coast. And as a NYC flyer I will always take a nonstop on long haul over a connection - regardless of alliance, airline, etc so long as it's not Iran Air or Air India, etc. etc. Doubt too many HVF are flying NYC-SEATTLE-ASIA....
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
So strange to believe/realize that this will really mean no US carrier on JFK-TYO (NRT or HND) and the only US carrier serving NYC-TYO will be UA's EWR-NRT.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
Any time frame on when MSP-NRT will get axed?
Any time frame on when MSP-HND will get axed?

Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Any time frame on when MSP-HND will get axed?

I bet Delta will bleed for years/indefinitely before handing this route to AA/DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.