Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NRT-KIX/BKK/JFK axed in October; MSP-NRT next; LAX-HND to 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-KIX/BKK/JFK axed in October; MSP-NRT next; LAX-HND to 777

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AOPA
how long would MSP-HND last........
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Wow that is quite surprising, and is really showing that DL isn't interested in TPAC.
DL didn't add 130 flights to SEA because it isn't interested in TPAC.

Try a little math: compare DL's TPAC ASMs after these cuts to AA's network today. DL is still far bigger.

As for NRT as a hub, the writing's been on the wall for a long time. See:
  • SEA build-up
  • the growth of China and S Korea relative to Japan
  • DL's non-stop China and Seoul flights from Detroit
  • UA/ANA and AA/JAL JVs
  • UA's drawdown of NRT (and termination of BKK)
  • UA's SFO - China tier 2 non-stops

I would trace the beginning of the end for NW's NRT 747 hub to CO's start of 777-200ER non-stops EWR-HKG in March 2001.

In the mid-2000s Northwest had a loan facility of over $1 Billion secured by Narita routes (and a bunch of old planes -- 742, DC-10, DC-9 -- generally regarded as worthless). I wonder what market value the NRT routes would carry today in a comparable arrangement.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
The JFK to NRT is hard to believe considering DL is the NYC domestic and international "home town" carrier! It would be somewhat different if they had a partner on this major route. I find it hard to believe that DL will retain frequent travelers on this route when they can fly superior carriers, JAL and ANA, nonstop instead of a layover at DTW, MSP, SEA, etc. This will be a risk of losing these passengers to Oneworld and STAR for all travel.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
BKK unfortunately does not surprise me. I have been travelling to BKK for 20 years, have always enjoyed it and it's people, but something was very different on my last trip, and there was way more, for lack of a better word, unpleasantness in many people. I have had similar feedback from colleagues, as well as in talking to locals when I was there. I, and nearly everyone I've talked to who has been there recently, won't be going back soon. Combine that with a relatively unstable economic situation (everywhere), and I see future demand depressed.
My last trip was March 2015 and I didn't notice anything unusual.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I would trace the beginning of the end for NW's NRT 747 hub to CO's start of 777-200ER non-stops EWR-HKG in March 2001.
I'd actually go earlier than that and say UA's successful start up of ORD-HKG in 1996 on a 747-400 and NW's flop on MSP-HKG was the beginning of the end of NRT.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Dumb question: does the "October" in the subject mean October 2017? I wouldn't imagine they'd drop something like JFK-NRT on 2 months' notice (and at the moment it's bookable through EOS) but I don't really know how this sort of thing works.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
Announced to employees last night. Big changes to the NRT hub!

DL cited profitability and lack of a Japanese partner as reasons for exiting this flying, which is rather unfortunate as these are longstanding routes.
This October or October 2017? Why end the service as the high season is beginning, especially to Bangkok?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Either they are making a large mistake, or their future bookings are very weak. Which could be an indication of the world's economic situation in the next year or two.
Or that too many pax have had too much of the constant service and loyalty downgrades and penny pinching by Dullta. I always thought that the impact of the consequences of Dullta's actions would be more long term (short term it'd look like DL is increasing its profit % and the MBAs who came up with it all would collect their short-term performance tied bonuses, and if they are smart then leave, but long term too many pax will have had enough and will have stopped flying DL in favor of other better run and more customer friendly airlines). This may be the start of it (may being the operational word, only time will tell).
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I looked at some dates this mid to late Oct and while the JFK-NRT is still for sale, the cabin has almost zero assigned seats now.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by rylan
I looked at some dates this mid to late Oct and while the JFK-NRT is still for sale, the cabin has almost zero assigned seats now.
Looking at some dates in November of this year, what I'm seeing on JFK-NRT is that while all inventory has not been zeroed out yet, most of the discounted fare classes (in both Y and C) have been.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dalewood
This October or October 2017? Why end the service as the high season is beginning, especially to Bangkok?
It should mean October 2016. Airlines don't normally decide on route suspension more than a few months ahead.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
This is really bad news for my travel ops...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler and PM
Originally Posted by DLroads
This is really bad news for my travel ops...
Agreed. Mine too. Delta can claim all they want that they are "winning" in NYC but this really hurts us seeking to go to the Pacific region and Japan. New Yorkers value time and this will lead to all of us having to chose a different airline when Delta chooses short sighted profits on one route in lieu of maintaining a network to keep flyers loyal to them in New York. This isn't Minneapolis and we have choices and plenty of them.

Perhaps they should have used the language in their Haneda filing for Minneapolis and instead applied for JFK-HND. People in Minneapolis if not offered non-stop can connect on Delta as there is no competition. Our market, NYC is vast with carriers and if you want us to stay loyal you need to offer service like this connecting two major business hubs. Its common sense Delta for LONG TERM profits.

As they say its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Is BKK travel now impossible on Delta? I was getting ready for a trip in 2017. Very bad news.

Bruce
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
That's what I've heard too.

And many, many of my colleagues, including those who are Medallions on DL, will not change planes in the PRC. For those that have done so, let's just say it's a one and done.
+1
Took 3 EU-PRC trips the last 4 weeks connecting through PVG. 12 legs booked in total, experienced:
8 delays (2-3 hours average)
3 invol. changes/reroutes
1 diversion
2 cancelations

Let's say it's more or less like yesterday Delta's experience after their power failure but then on a daily base without Delta frontline staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.