Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FINALLY Complimentary Y Meals Long Haul HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FINALLY Complimentary Y Meals Long Haul HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Didn't NW serve zero, zilch, nada on MSP-HNL? Seem to recall it was "elevated" to DLs (admittedly not so high) standards in early 2009.
Very opposite.

MSP-HNL service and food was good (e.g. in bus class, actual dessert choice and not just the ice cream, not even sundae, as now), but then it was Deltified and dramatically downgraded around 2009 (brought down to the abysmally low Dullta "standards').
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Trivia: Although meals will be served in coach on ATL/HNL non stops starting 9/15, the 1/3/13 flight still says food for purchase. DL IT is on the ball!
Wow, did I have those dates mixed up. And I wasn't even drinking!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Very opposite.

MSP-HNL service and food was good (e.g. in bus class, actual dessert choice and not just the ice cream, not even sundae, as now), but then it was Deltified and dramatically downgraded around 2009 (brought down to the abysmally low Dullta "standards').
I can't speak to the changes specific to this route during the merger, but your opinion on Delta lowering the standard is definitely out of alignment from the reality that most of us knew. At the time of the merger, as a general rule, Northwest was offering the bare minimum of any kind of service, in filthy cabins on an archaic fleet (ok fine, they had a few newer 330s), staffed by some of the most disgruntled employees in the industry. It's funny how you think that making it Deltafied would make it worse... At least it means they had to put the blue laminate covering over the former poorly maintained cloth seats that were full of years of who knows what.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
I can't speak to the changes specific to this route during the merger, but your opinion on Delta lowering the standard is definitely out of alignment from the reality that most of us knew. At the time of the merger, as a general rule, Northwest was offering the bare minimum of any kind of service, in filthy cabins on an archaic fleet (ok fine, they had a few newer 330s), staffed by some of the most disgruntled employees in the industry. It's funny how you think that making it Deltafied would make it worse... At least it means they had to put the blue laminate covering over the former poorly maintained cloth seats that were full of years of who knows what.
Not that I think, but it did. NW had aircraft with (back then) high standard WBC angled lie flat seats, quality food, excellent CS. DL had ancient beat up 767s with ancient recliners, much inferior in flight service, horrible CS and a total disregard for its customers, not to mention a practically non-functional web-site and no online self service (still even now some things that could be done on nwa.com cannot be done on delta.com, though at least some of the lost functionality has just recently been brought back at last). From an in-flight and reservations, online + CS perspective, DL was definitely far, far, far below NW.

And thanks for mentioning the seats. The DL laminated seats are disgusting and so hot and uncomfortable. No more of the higher quality, breathable fabric NW seats. I had almost forgotten about that (lI hate the faux leather/hot and uncomfrotable seats).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
+1000

NWs "network" and "product" were a joke! And now the Crown Jewel NRT hub is effectively worthless. And NW had virtually no MX personnel or capabilities, and worse yet (for hardcore labor people) the SCABS got to to come and get permanent DL jobs when. AMFA voluntarily decertified.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Complete malarkey
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They certainly had more than a "few" A330's at the time of merger (I believe around 32 of them). DC-10's had been retired in 2006. 744's had been refurbed. The 753's and a good chunk of the A319 fleet were delivered in the 2000's.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
NW was a pitiful excuse for a full service carrier. Mind you I came to Dl as pmnw World perks. The planes sucked, the people were surly, and the service was abysmal. They HAD to give away so much in benefits just to stay remotely competitive. I think those that wax nostalgic about NW are those that couldn't afford premium service and were granted NWs version of it through World Perks. So glad that airline went into the history books. Ghetto air
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
NW was a pitiful excuse for a full service carrier. Mind you I came to Dl as pmnw World perks. The planes sucked, the people were surly, and the service was abysmal. They HAD to give away so much in benefits just to stay remotely competitive. I think those that wax nostalgic about NW are those that couldn't afford premium service and were granted NWs version of it through World Perks. So glad that airline went into the history books. Ghetto air

The early 2009 metal swaps made for some funny reading of DL MD/73H to NW 319/320. Almost makes the complaining about the pitiful LUS fleet and service look like a joke. DL service was always more polished, likely a function of southern hospitality and unorganized culture/mentality that emphasizes services.

NW employees owe a huge debt and gratitude to DL (and KL decades ago) who rescued them twice. I firmly believe absent Mckaskill Bond amendment DALPA would have tried to pursue a staple (and DL would in-turn follow for the unorganized groups-like AA did to the TW IAM-represented agents who merged into the then unorganized AA group).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Point is DL did going in, NW didn't. Weren't MSP-HNL and MEM-AMS the final D13 runs?
NW's final scheduled passenger flight was HNL-MSP on January 8, 2007. Quite a few of us were in the front cabin on that flight.

There were a few relief flights using 9xxx flight numbers to pick up stranded passengers after a winter storm mixed things up at AMS. These were done mostly (if not entirely) by DC-10's returning empty from the Middle East.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:03 pm

Saw the D13 at LAX T2 years ago guessing it went to NRT or Hawaii at the time.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:33 pm

Sounds good . Hope the meals are good
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:32 pm

Do the SEA-KOA and HNL-SLC have for food for first class? Or because its the 5-6 hour mark you have nothing?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by slidebite
Do the SEA-KOA and HNL-SLC have for food for first class? Or because its the 5-6 hour mark you have nothing?
Yes and they always have. Any first class flight over 900 miles gets a meal except for red-eye flights. The issues is coach meals. In general there are no meals in coach on domestic routes, but now the long haul HNL routes are an exception.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Don't fly Delta or US flights much in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.