Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by sky303
Delta, CDG-BOS, 19JUL16
767-400

Another excellent crew after a super-quick trip to Europe. Food was better this time than coming over. The salad with tomato vin and appetizer were stand-outs, but there wasn't a bad bite there. As usual out of CDG, the bread was excellent, and the Deutz is always an appreciated upgrade from Jacquart.

Settling In: Asian Beef with mango salsa, soya dressing, and micro greens

Starters: Heirloom Tomato Salad with feta cheese and olives, served with tomato vinaigrette

Thai Coconut Soup

Main Course: Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken with tomato souffle, summer vegetable saute, and chicken jus

Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with strawberry sauce, whipped cream, and wafer cookie

White and Milk Chocolate Gnocchi served with dark chocolate mousse sand strawberry

Had same menu this month ZRH-JFK the main featured a specialized option for this route being chicken schnitzel.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SXM-JFK
757 (no AVOD, only overhead TVs which did not work so no entertainment, not even via WiFi, for the 3.5+ hour flight)
Lunch

Open bar PDB

Choice of chicken pasta or red snapper with chopped fruit

I went with the chicken which was good, but it was really more of a jerk chicken pasta

Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Connecting to NRT-KIX off of DTW-NRT in J. Anyone know what the service is like on a 300 mile interport flight in J? Meal? Amenity kits, duvets etc? I know when I did ICN-NRT we got a pretty sizeable service and all the regular J amenities on that rather short flight...

ETA: Kind of an odd service. So you get domestic blankets and pillows, champagne, OJ, mimosa, beer PDB tray, hot towel prior to pushback. In the air pretzels and full beverage service. No meals but thats not at all surprising, and using real glass plus a full selection of beverages, i think they seem to actually have JL and NH beat in J on similar flights.

Last edited by sky303; Jul 29, 2016 at 5:15 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Is the Summer Menu overriding the regular choices from this? My flights are usually JFK to major hubs so been getting stuck with the ridiculous Danny Meyer meals

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ne-dining.html
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Is the Summer Menu overriding the regular choices from this? My flights are usually JFK to major hubs so been getting stuck with the ridiculous Danny Meyer meals

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ne-dining.html
I actually think this whole menu is outdated and no loner in use. They rolled out new seasonal menus not that long ago, and I think they just failed to take this down from the website. So yes, there is both a different summer menu than what is shown on that link, and then certain JFK flights have a whole other premium (though you may not like it) Meyer offering.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I actually think this whole menu is outdated and no loner in use. They rolled out new seasonal menus not that long ago, and I think they just failed to take this down from the website. So yes, there is both a different summer menu than what is shown on that link, and then certain JFK flights have a whole other premium (though you may not like it) Meyer offering.
I know the Meyer meals are supposed to be hip and fancy, it just is TOO fancy for a plane where your options are limited. e.g. on my last flight to London instead of a pasta vegetarian dish they had this bizarro mushroom concoction.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:35 am

DL2362
LAX-JFK
July 31, 2016

PDB - Choice of Orange Juice or "Champagne." As there was time, despite the late arrival of the plane due to incompetence of gate assignments at LAX for which there was no notification until well after the posted boarding time had passed, FA's offered refills

STARTERS
Antipasto Misto with marinated fennel and kalamata olives, chianti salami, marinated goat cheese, arugula pesto spread and crostini

Mixed Greens with oven-dried grapes and hazelnuts served with warm bread (choice of whole wheat or sourdough) and parmesan dip

MAIN COURSE
Short Ribs in Red Wine with cheesy polenta triangles, pearl onions and zinfandel vinegar

Pork Tenderloin with toasted spice crust, honey roasted apple puree, broccoli with cambozola cheese, toasted pine nuts and fingerling potatoes

Fettuccine with lemon braised artichokes and spinach

DESSERTS
Usual choice of cheese plate or Dark Chocolate Gelato
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
DL1151 MSP-SFO (lunch)
PDB: yes
FEBO: yes

I think the other option was described as a Mediterranean salad with chicken breast. I opted for the burger.

Name:  20160801_125357s.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  230.9 KB

The potato salad was dry and the potatoes tasted like cardboard, otherwise it might've been good. The bottom bun is heated along with the patty and was slightly dried out and crunchy, but they topped it with a fresh unheated bun, so I guess whatever your toasting preference is you'll be unhappy Other than that, it's an airplane burger. Not bad, not spectacular. Ditto the cheesecake, roughly on par with what you'd get out of a Sara Lee box
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

We flew SAN-DTW-SAN in Juliy. This was our first time to fly Delta in decades. I was surprised that the hamburger was served in both directions. I'm not used to that on other carriers where the east bound and west bound menus differ. Is this common?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We flew SAN-DTW-SAN in Juliy. This was our first time to fly Delta in decades. I was surprised that the hamburger was served in both directions. I'm not used to that on other carriers where the east bound and west bound menus differ. Is this common?
Not my experience in general on DL. Certainly the worst offender of this practice is AA where menus have become the same in both directions on flights between city pairs since the merger there.

Out of curiousity, did you happen to note if the second choice was also the same?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Out of curiousity, did you happen to note if the second choice was also the same?
Thanks for answering me so helpfully.

No, the second choice differed. In both cases, it was a chicken salad but one direction was with quinoa and the other was more leafy greens.

I was surprised to be given an ice cream sundae as part of our breakfast on an 8am flight from AMS. Mind you, I took it, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me as a breakfast course.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'll take a DL burger over the weird options I've seen lately any day.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:00 pm

Thanks for answering me so helpfully.

No, the second choice differed. In both cases, it was a chicken salad but one direction was with quinoa and the other was more leafy greens.

I was surprised to be given an ice cream sundae as part of our breakfast on an 8am flight from AMS. Mind you, I took it, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me as a breakfast course.
It is very unusual to be given the same option in both directions on the same route.

As for the ice cream, were you in Y or J? What time did your flight depart? If you left on one of the later morning departures, it does not seem very odd to be if they still do the sundae bar in J, when it may be after lunchtime by the time they do dessert service. The sundae service is also a signature part of the delta J experience. But if it was served at 8am or something that might be strange.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As for the ice cream, were you in Y or J? What time did your flight depart? If you left on one of the later morning departures, it does not seem very odd to be if they still do the sundae bar in J, when it may be after lunchtime by the time they do dessert service. The sundae service is also a signature part of the delta J experience. But if it was served at 8am or something that might be strange.
We were in business. Our flight left at 8am.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:19 pm

We were in business. Our flight left at 8am.
OK, a little strange. On the other hand, it was probably what...10:30 or 11 by the time the dessert cart came around? I can also see this thread filled with people complaining about not getting a Sunday "just because" they were on the morning flight. I assume there was also fruit and cheese and cakes as options, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.