Y fare under $400

Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by msp_flyer
I want to extend expiring voucher by buying a ticket 11 months out. I need a ticket under $400 which has no penalty for changes to route/date/flights.
Wouldn't this undermine the expiry concept for vouchers? Anyone actually done this successfully?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Wouldn't this undermine the expiry concept for vouchers? Anyone actually done this successfully?
Yes. I wasn't smart enough to look for the routes listed here, but found a decent price for BNA-DTW and parked a voucher.

David
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Make sure that the ticket is actually penalty free/refundable. I feel like I've seen people post about Y tickets that are not.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msp_flyer
I want to extend expiring voucher by buying a ticket 11 months out. I need a ticket under $400 which has no penalty for changes to route/date/flights.
Any refundable ticket should work for that, not just Y-fare.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yes. I wasn't smart enough to look for the routes listed here, but found a decent price for BNA-DTW and parked a voucher.

David
So what you are saying is that eCredits don't expire if you use them to buy a future Refundable ticket? Assume that at the end of the 11 months you change the ticket to a date another 11 months in the future, does it reload again or is this a one time deal.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Technically the expiration date should carry over once you have an actual ticket. Thus you can extend the voucher for a year by purchasing a ticket 11 months out. However when you goto change that ticket the expiration date should carry over from that ticket. Prevents someone from continuing to do this over and over.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Technically the expiration date should carry over once you have an actual ticket. Thus you can extend the voucher for a year by purchasing a ticket 11 months out. However when you goto change that ticket the expiration date should carry over from that ticket. Prevents someone from continuing to do this over and over.
I believe you are correct. I used my refundable ticket to purchase a ticket that was within 11 months and I flew that ticket.

And it was a refundable Q fare, believe it or not.

I have another expiring credit soon, so I may look at SEA-PDX this time.

edit: just looked, you can get refundable H fares BNA-DTW in September for $376. Cheaper than SEA-PDX.

edit: except holy cow, there are refundable M fares SEA-PDX for $203 in September.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jul 28, 2016 at 4:40 pm Reason: add September fares

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.