Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Labor disruptions (AF/KLM) in Europe, late July to early August 2016

Labor disruptions (AF/KLM) in Europe, late July to early August 2016

Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I wouldn't be real eager to rebook through AMS or using KLM right now as KLM is experiencing a strike of some of the ground staff.
Iirc the FNV suspended their actions today, saturday and sunday.
KLM wasn't amused yesterday when some of their employees did wear their uniform during the FNV actions yesterday.
Let's see what next week brings.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:04 pm

And so it begins...although i doubt lots of Delta passengers will be effected by this action as most of the Delta flights are arriving/departing in the morning hours.

Today between 19h30 and 21h00 AMS time there wil be no handling of planes by KLM groundcrew (no luggage loaded and no pushbacks)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
And so it begins...although i doubt lots of Delta passengers will be effected by this action as most of the Delta flights are arriving/departing in the morning hours.

Today between 19h30 and 21h00 AMS time there wil be no handling of planes by KLM groundcrew (no luggage loaded and no pushbacks)
Does this mean that no KLM aircraft move at AMS during this period? Luggage not being handled will mean delays pays 21:00 for both arrivals and departures.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Actually, the last threatened AF hissy fit worked to my advantage.

Was originally schedule SLC-LHR-CDG-LHR-PHL.

Because of the then-threatened AF strike, I was able to switch to SLC-CDG direct.

When I later saw what DL & AF call FC from CDG to LHR, I was very grateful to have missed that one way at least.

FC = 3x3 seating with the center seat left empty... poor service, and a really crappy meal.

Later flew BA RT from LHR to Dublin. BA tried to lure me into a FC buy-up. I demured, and was glad I did since their FC was the same... 3x3 with the middle seat empty.

Gotta confess, I have done little intra-Europe flying. Is this typical for what they call FC?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AF (or DL) doesn't offer FC between CDG and LHR. It's the AF EuroBusiness short/medium haul business class product, similar to BA, KLM, LH, LX, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Flying to VCE by way of CDG next month. I'd be thrilled to have a threatened strike eliminate this connection and get me a D1 flight straight through with 1.5-2 extra hours of sleep.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
AF (or DL) doesn't offer FC between CDG and LHR. It's the AF EuroBusiness short/medium haul business class product, similar to BA, KLM, LH, LX, etc.
Just checked. My CDG to LHR segment was Z, business.

What I got was far less than US domestic first class.

Pardon my naivete, but I expected something at least as good as domestic first class.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:15 pm

Does this mean that no KLM aircraft move at AMS during this period? Luggage not being handled will mean delays pays 21:00 for both arrivals and departures.
Unsure about it. Think the planes at the Fokker farm and other planes that don't require a pushback will move. On the first of Augsut there where technical problems resulating in whole batches of luggage not loaded (9.000) and again yesterday. The problems yesterday resulted in 6.000 pieces of luggage left behind. Quit some people who connected to/from Delta/KLM were effected. Still the KLM and Delta planes did leave.

FNV is the only union calling for a strike. There are iirc 5 trade unions. Furthermore KLM is going to court todat trying to stop the strikes.
Will copy and paste the press releases of yesterday:

Amstelveen, 02 August 2016
KLM invites FNV to rejoin talks
Summary

KLM has been negotiating a new collective labour agreement (CLA) for ground personnel with five trade unions since April. This has led to an integrated proposal which four of the five unions is presenting to its members.

The FNV is the only union which has chosen another route. It has presented KLM with an ultimatum containing additional demands. KLM has indicated that it wishes to continue talks, but has not responded to the FNV’s demands and will not give in to industrial action.

We suspect the points of difference are actually smaller that have earlier been expressed. In the interests of our passengers, our employees and the future of the company, we once more call upon the FNV not to commence industrial action, but to join us once more at the negotiating table.

KLM’s response to FNV’s rejection

The FNV (Dutch Trade Union Federation) has informed us that it is not prepared to enter into negotiations with us. KLM finds it incomprehensible – and irresponsible – that the FNV feels the need to take this issue to extremes and is not willing to talk with us as the other four trade unions are willing to do. KLM does not to succumb to industrial action. Our customers, our staff, and our company would only suffer. We are, however, prepared to negotiate.

KLM institutes proceedings against FNV
Summary

KLM this morning invited the FNV to resume negotiations. The union refused the call for dialogue and has instead called a strike for tomorrow between 19:30 and 21:00 hours. The call for strike action has gone out to their members at Ground Services, but not those working for Passenger Services.

KLM is instituting legal proceedings against the union to prohibit strike action and to enter into dialogue instead.

Strike action will cause unnecessary suffering for our customers, our company and the many KLM employees who are working so hard together to safeguard our company’s future. Especially at this, the busiest time of year for KLM and Schiphol. I would like to express my appreciation and support for the vast majority of our colleagues who work so hard and who also experience disruption as a result of these actions.

Ren de Groot, Chief Operating Officer KLM

KLM has always said it wants continue the dialogue, but will not respond to a unilateral ultimatum.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just checked. My CDG to LHR segment was Z, business.

What I got was far less than US domestic first class.

Pardon my naivete, but I expected something at least as good as domestic first class.
The seats aren't as good as US domestic first, as you mentioned.

But the service is far better for these short intra-Europe business class flights than what US carriers offer. I've flown AF CDG-LHR and AF/KL CDG-AMS in business multiple times. Remember that these flights are under 250 miles and in the air for less than 40 minutes. Snack and drink in economy, Multiple drinks and a light meal in business. The food and beverage service in business is far better than what you'd get on a comparable length US domestic flight in first.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:26 pm

Amstelveen, 03 August 2016
Court schedules definitive ruling for next Thursday; no work interruptions permitted until then

The industrial action called for by FNV for this evening will not take place. The subdistrict court needs more time to arrive at a judgement. The court’s decision will be announced at 14:00 hours on Thursday, 11 August. Until that time, the court forbids any further industrial action or work interruptions.

KLM is satisfied with the court’s decision. We are pleased that our passengers and our employees will not have to suffer as a result of the FNV’s intended action this evening. Although only 150 to 250 of a total number of 14,500 ground staff were set to stop working, the potential consequences could have affected thousands of passengers, resulting in delays, missed connections and/or baggage remaining behind. What’s more, such industrial action would have resulted in a loss for KLM of between €3 million and €4 million.

KLM’s proposal has been put before the membership bases of the four other trade unions. Yesterday morning, KLM invited FNV to resume talks because we suspect that the points of disagreement are in fact smaller than originally expressed. KLM remains open to such dialogue.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Grouchy
The court’s decision will be announced at 14:00 hours on Thursday, 11 August. Until that time, the court forbids any further industrial action or work interruptions.
WHEW!

I'm good to go for Aug 7! . . . As long as AF holds out til Aug 15/16.

I've been keeping an eye on AF intra-Europe flights, somewhat, and it looks like the situation has improved a lot since last week!

Do the unions ever disobey the courts there?!?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:55 pm

Normally not, would expect everything running smoothly until 14h00, 11 August. However the FNV is pretty annoyed by this court ruling as they see it as their fundemental right to strike.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:20 am

An update, w00t! good news for KL/DL pax @AMS until 4 September 2016:

KLM release:
Amstelveen, 11 August 2016
Court disallows FNV union strike
Summary

The Haarlem district court has ruled in favour of KLM. The FNV union will not be allowed to call a strike prior to 4 September 2016.

KLM is satisfied with the court’s ruling and feels this confirms its standpoint that a solid proposal has been offered, paving the way towards a brighter future for the company. KLM has proposed that all ground employees should receive a one-off supplementary payment of EUR 1,600 as part of an improved profit-sharing scheme, as well as a salary increase of 1% effective 2018. While the FNV union has repeatedly presented ultimatums, KLM has continued to pursue dialogue in the on-going negotiations.

The court decision; http://uitspraken.rechtspraak.nl/inz...BNHO:2016:6696

Google translate time:
Ban strike until September 4 2016 in summary proceedings KLM-FNV.

The judge of the court Noord Holland has banned in its judgment delivered today to FNV until September 4, 2016 to organize collective work stoppages related to between KLM and FNV existing collective conflict. On August 3 this year the judge had already banned as a disciplinary measure stoppages until he would rule.

The judge ruled that expect large holiday crowds and the current terrorist threat at Schiphol means that the restrictions on the right to collective action in this case socially are urgently needed the explosive combination of up to and including September 4, 2016.

The decision

The judge
5.1. prohibits FNV until September 4, 2016 to proceed with it directly or indirectly, in any form, organize, access to or providing assistance or support to any form of collective work stoppage associated with the current between the parties to collective conflict,

5.2. FNV to pay the costs, estimated on the part of KLM to date at € 1,517.54

5.3. FNV to pay the costs, estimated at € 1,435 on the part of Schiphol to date -

5.4. declares this judgment to the extent enforceable,

5.5. denies any further or other claims.

This judgment was passed by mr. Th.S. Rell and pronounced in public in the presence of the Registrar, Mr. H.A.H. Tribe on August 11, 2016

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.