Kids Travel question

Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: DL PM
Genuinely curious, can someone link to where the "must be in the same cabin" rule is published? I can't find it anywhere.

And I can't for the life of me justify why on earth anyone thinks an extra $150 each way is justified for a 12 and 15 year old traveling on the same plane with their parents, regardless of cabin... What services are being provided exactly?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:19 am

And, if it were me, I would call DL and ask. And if they refuse to waive the UMNR fee, ask to have seats with your wife and one of your kids swapped.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by appleguru
Genuinely curious, can someone link to where the "must be in the same cabin" rule is published? I can't find it anywhere.

And I can't for the life of me justify why on earth anyone thinks an extra $150 each way is justified for a 12 and 15 year old traveling on the same plane with their parents, regardless of cabin... What services are being provided exactly?
Unaccompanied Minor Program
The Unaccompanied Minor Program is required for all children 5-14 years old when not traveling in the same compartment with an adult who is at least 18 years old or the child's parent/legal guardian. The program is optional for children 15-17 years old.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../children.html
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
OP: according to a lot of the people on this board, you should leave your kids at home, since children of any age are the most annoying thing in the universe to the delicate flowers who are Delta's most important customers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by pvn
OP: according to a lot of the people on this board, you should leave your kids at home, since children of any age are the most annoying thing in the universe to the delicate flowers who are Delta's most important customers.
I got out of the discussion that if you don't want to sit next to your kids you have to pay someone to watch them.

No one said OP shouldn't take his kids. Just that booking separate reservations in separate cabins could cause some issues and he should be prepared to pay the UM fee as that is the stated rule.

Or would you prefer everyone on this board tell him that it will be a breeze with no issues, only have him turn up at the to a problem?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru

One service that the FAs hopefully will provide is preventing your kids from visiting you in the D1 cabin. Doing so disturbs customers who have paid to sit in the D1 cabin.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One service that the FAs hopefully will provide is preventing your kids from visiting you in the D1 cabin. Doing so disturbs customers who have paid to sit in the D1 cabin.
OP has paid to sit in D1. Whether one uses SM or $, it is still payment.

However, may I discern from your comments that it is ok to come up to D1 and disturb people who are sitting there for free?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, the point is that the kids did NOT pay to sit in D1 and they therefore should not disturb people who are in D1.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:22 am

Honestly, this is hogwash. Ignore for a moment the fact that these are kids....

If I am seated in coach and my family member/coworker/friend/etc is seated in D1, what exactly is the problem with visiting them?

As long as the seatbelt sign is off, I am being quiet and respectful to my fellow passengers (just like if I'm chatting with someone else in coach), and I am not congregating in the forward galley... I really don't see a problem with visiting someone up front. And as far as I know, there are no published rules preventing me from doing so.

And the "holier than thou" attitude that coach shouldn't co-mingle with D1/F/J is ridiculous.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How? How any more than two D1 pax visiting one another?
Or did you mean disturbs their sense of Victorian entitlement not to have to be reminded that there are actual people who fly economy. Not kettles, not lice, not scum...actual people. Disturbs their sense of personal superiority based on a lie-flat seat?

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 27, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:31 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Perhaps, they should replace the curtain with a force field to keep the riff raff out. . . . . . . . . .

Of Y.

Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:34 am

I would have added this comment to my post above, but my Internet is misbehaving badly and I've been waiting forever for the edit box to appear:

The parents and maybe others paid for tickets in miles. No problem, although I probably shouldn't comment on family dynamics regarding whether the kids' behavior disturbs their own parents or not.

If there are nonrevs seated in D1, my understanding is that they're not supposed to complain.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
OP - what is your tolerance for uncertainty?

The official answer is that you are supposed to pay the UM fee. Will Delta catch it - maybe. Some folks think it is more likely than not that you will be caught but who knows - every day someone posts something about the rules not being followed.

The question is - what is important to you. Are you a gambler who loves the thrill of winning? If so, then perhaps trying to get away with it is appealing and worth the risks. If you are a worrier - or if dealing with conflict is uncomfortable for you - or if you absolutely positively cannot miss this flight - then you may want to pay the fee and be done with it.

But if you decide to take the gamble - do come back and let us know how it turned out.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
perhaps, they should replace the curtain with a force field to keep the riff raff out. . . . . . . . . .

Of y.

👍👏👏
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
The official answer is that you are supposed to pay the UM fee. Will Delta catch it - maybe. Some folks think it is more likely than not that you will be caught but who knows - every day someone posts something about the rules not being followed.
How would this not be flagged ahead of time? You've got two minors traveling internationally without an adult. DL got very bad press a few years ago when an FA's minor sister used a buddy pass and got stuck in London. You've got to believe procedures were reviewed at that time and that DL has changed its systems and employee training to make sure it does not happen again. Why risk anything instead of being cheap? OP should just pay the required fee and you won't have to worry about the consequences of being caught.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.