Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm sorry. I have to say it.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
That article talks about a computer problem with GoJet, not Delta.

Do you have anything with Delta IT being a problem?

I'm not saying they're saints, but I don't recall a UA/AA/WN style meltdown.
There's one mentioned there, though not on the scale of the other airlines' meltdowns. Also, while Delta may not have any control over GoJet's IT, those flights are operated as Delta Connection, so it still reflects poorly on the brand. These are passengers who bought a ticket from Delta and are flying on a plane with a Delta logo.

More than anything, I thought it was just a useful resource to keep track of these events as they happen.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 28, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
The display of fanboyism is amazing. The reality:

In 2015...
AA enplaned 146.55 million passengers
Southwest enplaned 144.58 million passengers
Delta enplaned 138.59 million passengers
United enplaned 95.33 million passengers

This is not to suggest that AA and Southwest are better than AA simply because they transported more passengers, but rather to suggest that AA/WN/UA cannot be doing things so terribly wrong (in absolute terms or relative to DL) if a combined 385 million passengers choose to travel with them every year. It's fine to have a favorite, but at the end of the day, the major US airlines are far more alike than many on this forum choose to believe.
Both Ryanair and Lufthansa carry roughly 100m passengers each year. Does that mean they are "far more alike" than is commonly believed?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:39 am

RASM ???

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Well, it's not hard to understand why AA and WN are ahead of DL..

WN is significantly less expensive overall, intentionaly, for a ticket than DL. So, it'll have a large marketshare; and imo it's more well known brandwise than DL especially for that reason.

AA is ahead because of the recent merger, it's constant mention in media and online -though usually negative, but better than Sprirt. And, it's loyalty program which was vastly superior to DL prior to recent (which we all know already, but contributes significantly)

IMO, Delta isn't entirely going for PAX volume as a priority, but rather quite obviously RASM which DL leads the industry in, which contributes to higher fares and less upgrades -hence the worse loyalty program. However taking their overall operations and product (both hard and soft) as factors, it justifies the higher fares.

Moral of the story? Overall, people vote by their wallet, as well as what they're familiar with; and sometimes, operations gets overlooked in the process as most customers generally expect they'll be successfully transported from point A to B, without issue.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:40 am

What is RASM ???
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
RASM = Revenue per Available Seat-Mile ... directly proportional to both pricing and load factor (paid butts in seats)
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I am a DL loyalist even in a B6 hub. But if I had a wish list to make it truly a great airline for me:

1. Direct BOS to SEA
2. Direct BOS to SFO
3. Skim milk available for coffee. When I can buy a case of juicebox sized Parmalat at Whole Foods, it makes no sense why they can't have a few boxes on each flight. Those little creamers are disgusting
4. Hot chocolate packets onboard (I like mochas)
5. First Class/Diamond/Platinum check-in @ CVG. They only have Silver and Sky Priority. Usually I don't care as I typically don't check bags, but I did this trip and bag drop was awful (that is one thing I like about AA at SFO)
6. Less expensive FC international flights (tho I love the FC setup...I can actually sleep on red eye flights)
7. Replicating the LHR Virgin club experience in some major US markets (A short massage, manicure or blowout is nice after a long week on the road).
8. More honest reporting on the evening delays that, in some locations, are a regular occurrence. Last night's CVG to BOS flight was delayed 3+ hours, and the crew was known to be timing out...but they waited 3+ hours to cancel. Folks slept on cots last night at CVG, not good (luckily, I sensed this was coming....I bailed at 8pm and rebooked).

But, I love their personal service. I was speaking with the Platinum desk last night to rebook, and the agent even gave me a rundown of local street fairs happening in CVG...in case I wanted to just stay the weekend. That was service above and beyond!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:50 am

I've flown delta and AA FC and honesty they both are good. I like how I can select my meal in advance with AA to make sure I get what I want, while with delta I'm not sure I will like what they are serving and if there will be any available by the time they get to me! Otherwise the biggest thing for me is that I much prefer one world to sky team. I fly to the Middle East and love being able to fly EY or QR business for 70k miles each way. But at the end of the day I haven't noticed any major differences between either airline; and I feel like I can look at both of them objectively because I don't live in a hub
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's one mentioned there, though not on the scale of the other airlines' meltdowns. Also, while Delta may not have any control over GoJet's IT, those flights are operated as Delta Connection, so it still reflects poorly on the brand. These are passengers who bought a ticket from Delta and are flying on a plane with a Delta logo.

More than anything, I thought it was just a useful resource to keep track of these events as they happen.
They also operate as United Express. Thus it's really hard to say this was an issue of DL. It would be like saying because Skywest had issues that DL/UA/AA/AS are at fault.

Also where DL could rebook those on GoJet flights on other airlines they did. I'm betting that if you asked GoJet passengers from the incident above who handled it better, UA or DL, that most would say DL.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by navi_jen
I am a DL loyalist even in a B6 hub. But if I had a wish list to make it truly a great airline for me:
^^ you're one of the first to explicitly state that ... sure, it should be obvious that most everyone posts from their own perspective, but imo there are a lot of folks who tend to take others' differing perspectives as belittling -- or maybe even insulting -- their own (which, of course, makes for some interesting back-and-forth ...)
1. Direct BOS to SEA
I think this is on the horizon for spring 2017, if not sooner ... pretty sure it's a 738; I want to say SEA-BOS redeye and BOS-SEA at sunrise, but it might well be some other turn
8. More honest reporting on the evening delays that, in some locations, are a regular occurrence. Last night's CVG to BOS flight was delayed 3+ hours, and the crew was known to be timing out...but they waited 3+ hours to cancel. Folks slept on cots last night at CVG, not good (luckily, I sensed this was coming....I bailed at 8pm and rebooked).
this is always a tough call: a "creeper" that moves 20 min later every 10-15 min is a real PITA for the pax, but I fully agree that if they intend to find a reserve crew and do a tail swap they should pick a realistic time and stick to it as best they can ... and if that doesn't pan out, they should bite the bullet sooner rather than later
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They also operate as United Express. Thus it's really hard to say this was an issue of DL. It would be like saying because Skywest had issues that DL/UA/AA/AS are at fault.

Also where DL could rebook those on GoJet flights on other airlines they did. I'm betting that if you asked GoJet passengers from the incident above who handled it better, UA or DL, that most would say DL.
Unless they got VIPR'd, in which case I can imagine the DL passengers being less happy.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
With all the airlines so similar, you have to go with what works for you. Good that DL works for some. For me, though, unpleasant and unsatisfying feelings have gone down significantly now that I largely avoid DL. I just don't get them often on the rest of the big 4.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by televisor
Unless they got VIPR'd, in which case I can imagine the DL passengers being less happy.
I would think that being VIPR'd in this case would be a good thing.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The display of fanboyism is amazing. The reality:

In 2015...
AA enplaned 146.55 million passengers
Southwest enplaned 144.58 million passengers
Delta enplaned 138.59 million passengers
United enplaned 95.33 million passengers

This is not to suggest that AA and Southwest are better than AA simply because they transported more passengers, but rather to suggest that AA/WN/UA cannot be doing things so terribly wrong (in absolute terms or relative to DL) if a combined 385 million passengers choose to travel with them every year. It's fine to have a favorite, but at the end of the day, the major US airlines are far more alike than many on this forum choose to believe.
I don't get those numbers:

I have:

AA enplaned 201.25 million pax
DL enplaned 179.38 million pax
WN enplaned 144.57 million pax
UA enplaned 140.37 million pax.

Usually size is determined on passenger miles (or kilometers) flown. UA passes WN in that category.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't get those numbers:

I have:

AA enplaned 201.25 million pax
DL enplaned 179.38 million pax
WN enplaned 144.57 million pax
UA enplaned 140.37 million pax.

Usually size is determined on passenger miles (or kilometers) flown. UA passes WN in that category.
Also passenger numbers tell you zero about how happy the passengers are with an airline. They could only have one choice of airline, the fares could be lower, could be locked in with contract, etc. I've flown UA, not because I liked them, but because there's no DL/partner service to a destination. Ie Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago. Absolutely horrible trip outbound but no choice.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also passenger numbers tell you zero about how happy the passengers are with an airline. They could only have one choice of airline, the fares could be lower, could be locked in with contract, etc. I've flown UA, not because I liked them, but because there's no DL/partner service to a destination. Ie Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago. Absolutely horrible trip outbound but no choice.
That's true. I was just reacting to numbers that had WN bigger than DL.

I like DL because they treat me humanely, they have decent service from my home airport, and go where I need them to go (northern New England, southern GA, and Montana).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.