Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading with miles on international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Doing JFK to Johannesburg in September. I'm anticipating my colleagues will fly me in coach. Once they book through there reservation system, anyone have experience going back to Delta and upgrading with miles?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on fare class, marketing and operating carrier (codeshare?), whether travel agent was used, whether consolidator fare was used, availability of upgrade inventory, etc. My guess is that it won't happen, especially if you're not willing to spend more money too.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
HKG-SEA

I was just thinking the same thing. I just read Delta's website and now I'm confused on upgrading

I want to upgrade from HKG-SEA one way. So what fare class do I purchase to ensure I'm flying up front in business class? Currently I see economy running at $7xx for the one way. How many miles will it cost to upgrade and is there a co-pay? I'm not a regular DL flyer so appreciate the help. Thx
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JHIN
I was just thinking the same thing. I just read Delta's website and now I'm confused on upgrading

I want to upgrade from HKG-SEA one way. So what fare class do I purchase to ensure I'm flying up front in business class? Currently I see economy running at $7xx for the one way. How many miles will it cost to upgrade and is there a co-pay? I'm not a regular DL flyer so appreciate the help. Thx
In my experience, if you have a K or higher fare you can upgrade with miles.. Mileage upgrade cost is now variable I think; last time I was quoted something like 65,000 (!)

Also, there needs to be upgrade inventory availible. You can waitlist a mileage upgrade request, but if it doesn't clear before day of departure, there is no official way to transfer the UG request to the gate.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by appleguru
In my experience, if you have a K or higher fare you can upgrade with miles.. Mileage upgrade cost is now variable I think; last time I was quoted something like 65,000 (!)

Also, there needs to be upgrade inventory availible. You can waitlist a mileage upgrade request, but if it doesn't clear before day of departure, there is no official way to transfer the UG request to the gate.

K or higher for international
T or higher for domestic

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html

Mileage required will vary with fare class. Some recent pricing (incomplete) on upgrade mileage amounts can be found in this post --
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26780186-post353.html

As noted, the WIKI here could use some updates as it is not accurate --
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ements-24.html

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 22, 2016 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
WOW - I didn't think it would be cheap! By the time you cost out the mileage value for the upgrade + buying the applicable fare seems more reasonable to just buy the J fare and call it a day! They must be nearly the same value to me between costing both options out.

Alaska shows J class on Hainan 787 for 50,000 one way. Seems a better deal though I don't know Hainan as an airline. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
WOW - I didn't think it would be cheap! By the time you cost out the mileage value for the upgrade + buying the applicable fare seems more reasonable to just buy the J fare and call it a day! They must be nearly the same value to me between costing both options out.

Alaska shows J class on Hainan 787 for 50,000 one way. Seems a better deal though I don't know Hainan as an airline. Thanks for the quick replies.
I never understood Delta's absurd mileage pricing for upgrades either. Better to either buy biz-class outright, or get a straight award ticket in "low" if at all possible.

Other FT threads say nice things about Hainan 787 biz-class.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I never understood Delta's absurd mileage pricing for upgrades either. Better to either buy biz-class outright, or get a straight award ticket in "low" if at all possible.

Other FT threads say nice things about Hainan 787 biz-class.
The "if possible" is the tricky part. As has been discussed many times, these are really aimed at people who are not buying their own tickets and are not allowed to purchase biz tickets. If one already has a trip scheduled and paid for by someone else, the (updated) prices are not that unreasonable (particularly if you have a YBM fare). Just because they are useful to "you" personally (paying out of pocket), does not mean there are not others out there who find them useful and for whom DL has made a business case for the pricing.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

I've tried to do this a number of times, and the mileage required is absurd. I've literally had times where the upgrade mileage is 75% of the miles for a J award ticket.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by scongro
I've tried to do this a number of times, and the mileage required is absurd. I've literally had times where the upgrade mileage is 75% of the miles for a J award ticket.
Up until a few months ago, it was "only" 25,000 miles. Seems to be absurdly priced now, but since every flight seems to be different, it is really hard to say.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up until a few months ago, it was "only" 25,000 miles. Seems to be absurdly priced now, but since every flight seems to be different, it is really hard to say.
And only YBM fares were eligible -- and everyone here claimed they were useless back then too because you could often find discounted J fares that were cheaper than YBM fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 22, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
And only YBM fares were eligible -- and everyone here claimed they were useless back then too because you could often find discounted J fares that were cheaper than YBM fares.
I swear there was a period last year where it was K or higher, but still only 25,000 miles.

I had a SEA -> HKG flight that I used a GUC on... Should have used miles; they only quoted me 25k (was a K fare).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:14 pm

I swear there was a period last year where it was K or higher, but still only 25,000 miles.

I had a SEA -> HKG flight that I used a GUC on... Should have used miles; they only quoted me 25k (was a K fare).
Nope, I lied. Just double checked; was an M fare on the outbound (due to a last minute change).

Definitely should have used the miles/saved the GUC then! ;-)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
I have a transpac Y fare booked for a couple weeks out. 7 seats available upfront--called Delta and couldn't make it happen--about five seats left in economy so I'm hoping for an op-up
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Y as in full Y fare class, or Y as in a coach seat in some random coach fare class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.