Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading with miles on international flights

Upgrading with miles on international flights

Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
I have a transpac Y fare booked for a couple weeks out. 7 seats available upfront--called Delta and couldn't make it happen--about five seats left in economy so I'm hoping for an op-up
Empty seats on a seatmap does not equal upgrade inventory.

GUCs clear day of departure from the waitlist into empty seats. The 'clear 3 hours before departure for DL and DL Connection flights' phrase suggests mileage upgrades do not.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Y as in Y full fare

I know upgrade availability isn't the same as available seats, but I imagine that the more seats available the greater the likelihood there is upgrade eligibility--6 ain't a lot, but it is a data point.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
Y as in Y full fare

I know upgrade availability isn't the same as available seats, but I imagine that the more seats available the greater the likelihood there is upgrade eligibility--6 ain't a lot, but it is a data point.
You should call and ask for how many miles for the UG waitlist. Would be a good datapoint if nothing else ;-)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Up until a few months ago, it was "only" 25,000 miles. Seems to be absurdly priced now, but since every flight seems to be different, it is really hard to say.
25,000 miles (each way), was the number of miles required when you
purchased M fare or higher. Now you can upgrade K fare or higher, so it requires more miles. The number of miles required for upgrade is based on your original booking class.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
So international upgrades on Y/B/M fares are still roughly the same cost as previously? If so, that's great news (I had just assumed they had increased unreasonably once the other fare classes were made upgrade eligible earlier this year).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Has anyone made any sense of upgrades from Y to W or from W to J (when flying on partner metal, obv)?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Has anyone made any sense of upgrades from Y to W or from W to J (when flying on partner metal, obv)?
It depends on the partner. AF you can only upgrade to W from Y and to J from W. Others allow you to upgrade from Y to J, but most don't allow upgrade rewards, only outright J awards.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Right, but what about the milage cost. When I've called to ask about this, the cost to upgrade from Y to W on AF was like 65k miles, the same as what it would take to upgrade from Y to J on delta metal, which is insane. I was going to HUCA but never got around to it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Right, but what about the milage cost. When I've called to ask about this, the cost to upgrade from Y to W on AF was like 65k miles, the same as what it would take to upgrade from Y to J on delta metal, which is insane. I was going to HUCA but never got around to it.
That's correct. AF considers PE the next cabin, and thus upgrade rewards are really one cabin upgrades on them. Sucks, but that's how it it with AF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.