Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi Folks,

I'm on a Delta flight from SFO to JFK. The flight is nearly empty, so I decided to purchase a ~$40 Gogo in-flight WIFI data plan, get some work done and FaceTime (Vo-ip) back home. FaceTime worked great and the quality was close to an LTE connection. I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

10 minutes passed and a flight attendant told me to disable FaceTime because it was in violation of FAA rules. I told her it was over Gogo WIFI (Cellular doesn't work at 10,000+ feet anyway) that I purchased and there was no mention restrictions on FaceTime shown when purchasing the plan or mention of FAA rules restricting FaceTime aka Vo-ip. Long story short I disabled FaceTime and started searching for rules regarding this.

FAA doesn't appear to mention any restriction on vo-ip using WIFI. I did find mention restricting it in Gogo's Delta "terms and conditions" as follows in very small font (Jul-21-2016):

"Voice service is not permitted nor supported."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ght-wi-fi.html

I do not recall seeing any mention of this when Gogo offered me the $40/flight plan.

Gogo could block FaceTime but it does not. I'm happy to follow the rules, however am very confused on the background for restricting vo-ip or FaceTime on flights. It's going over the legally approved WIFI, the service could be blocked by Gogo if it really interfered with bandwidth and in past years airplanes had a phone in front of every seat. Is it a noise issue? If so, then why the phones in planes a few years back? Perhaps the added income was enough for airlines to allow talking on the phone in flight.

Interesting in your thoughts.

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT. I'll move this to the Delta forum.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Delta, thankfully so, does not allow voice/video 'phone' calls. There was loud outcry, so to speak, when the policy was under review.
hockeystl and nogophers like this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I turned on WiFi calling on my phone a few months back. When my phone rang on the plane, it was a bit of a surprise. Didn't take the call, needless to say. Got some looks from people around me, since we were 35k feet over Greenland at that point...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by npapadon
Hi Folks,

I'm on a Delta flight from SFO to JFK. The flight is nearly empty, so I decided to purchase a ~$40 Gogo in-flight WIFI data plan, get some work done and FaceTime (Vo-ip) back home. FaceTime worked great and the quality was close to an LTE connection. I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

10 minutes passed and a flight attendant told me to disable FaceTime because it was in violation of FAA rules. I told her it was over Gogo WIFI (Cellular doesn't work at 10,000+ feet anyway) that I purchased and there was no mention restrictions on FaceTime shown when purchasing the plan or mention of FAA rules restricting FaceTime aka Vo-ip. Long story short I disabled FaceTime and started searching for rules regarding this.
Originally Posted by Xeno
Delta, thankfully so, does not allow voice/video 'phone' calls. There was loud outcry, so to speak, when the policy was under review.
Welcome to FT!

Someone smarter than I can probably state which port FaceTime operates through. Since it was working GoGo probably does not block it. That being said I would venture to guess the broad majority of PAX are not as considerate as the OP.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tvtd
Welcome to FT!

Someone smarter than I can probably state which port FaceTime operates through. Since it was working GoGo probably does not block it. That being said I would venture to guess the broad majority of PAX are not as considerate as the OP.
Port blocking is a thing of the past. Nowadays Next Generation Firewalls are used, which block traffic at the application layer and not at the network layer. FaceTime uses port 443 mainly, just like any other HTTPS application.

The Next Generation firewalls will detect the applications sending/receiving traffic through port 443 and will allow the Administrators to block specific applications.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If FAA even remotely proposed authorizing carriers to permit any form of audio/video 2-way communication of any kind, the reaction would be quite predictable.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Ignorance of the law is no excuse
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
If FAA even remotely proposed authorizing carriers to permit any form of audio/video 2-way communication of any kind, the reaction would be quite predictable.
The FAA does not prohibit VoIP or video calling over wifi.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by mnbp
I don't think Delta's or GoGo's terms and conditions are an actual law are they?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Hi Folks,

FAA doesn't appear to mention any restriction on vo-ip using WIFI. I did find mention restricting it in Gogo's Delta "terms and conditions" as follows in very small font (Jul-21-2016):

"Voice service is not permitted nor supported."

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ght-wi-fi.html

I do not recall seeing any mention of this when Gogo offered me the $40/flight plan.

Gogo could block FaceTime but it does not. I'm happy to follow the rules, however am very confused on the background for restricting vo-ip or FaceTime on flights. It's going over the legally approved WIFI, the service could be blocked by Gogo if it really interfered with bandwidth and in past years airplanes had a phone in front of every seat. Is it a noise issue? If so, then why the phones in planes a few years back? Perhaps the added income was enough for airlines to allow talking on the phone in flight.

Thanks
Please, no. VoiP calling is excluded on Gogo — and no one in their right mind should want otherwise.

The FAA regulation bit is because, technically, Delta files its op specs and policies with the FAA, which then ratifies them, making them loosely FAA regulations.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Emirates has service that allows your cell to connect via on board cell network. It's not an FAA issue, but FTC. The equipment obviousaly meets FAA standards or it wouldn't be allowed. FTC rules prohibit you from using your cell (without the special on board equipment like Emirates) because of issues with the fact you're moving from tower to tower quickly, plus at altitude you could end up connecting with a non-provider tower (roam) even though you're in an area your provider serves. Thus you can have major billing issues, on top of network issues trying to move you from tower to tower very quickly.

As for GoGo, it's a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy for Gogo. Again not a FAA violation. I'm not sure how Federal law views violations of ISP AUPs. I highly doubt it rises to a criminal violation, but I know they've tried to make it so.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SDQBound
The Next Generation firewalls will detect the applications sending/receiving traffic through port 443 and will allow the Administrators to block specific applications.
How do you do traffic inspection on 443 without causing invalid certificate security warnings? You can look at the destination addresses, sure. I'm not primarily an Apple guy, so dunno if FaceTime always goes through the same set of servers where they could block 443 to a certain IP range.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:45 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Stop being a smart alec with the semantics. You are making a voice-call which also has video, you were in the wrong 100%.

Also, blocking SIP @ UDP 5060 would be the easier solution.
bubbashow and nogophers like this.

Last edited by The BNA Gentleman; Jul 21, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Stop being a smart alec with the semantics. You are making a voice-call which also has video, you were in the wrong 100%.

Also, blocking SIP @ UDP 5060 would be the easier solution.
It's a major difference between the FAA/FTC prohibiting something, and an ISP AUP prohibiting something. One is criminal matter, the other is simply a contract matter. FA pretending the FAA prohibits something is misrepresentation. Also I've seen multiple people use it in the air. They might get a look at first, but the FAs once they know it's not a cell have never said anything.

I do wonder why GoGo doesn't block VOIP. It's not like it's that hard, or that multiple other ISPs don't do that very thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.