Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:24 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
How do you do traffic inspection on 443 without causing invalid certificate security warnings? You can look at the destination addresses, sure. I'm not primarily an Apple guy, so dunno if FaceTime always goes through the same set of servers where they could block 443 to a certain IP range.
It is signature-based. The firewalls use a combination of port, destination ip, protocol encoding, and heuristics. SSL traffic will not produce an invalid certificate warning because only the packet header is inspected.

See Palo Alto App-ID feature for more info
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Stop being a smart alec with the semantics. You are making a voice-call which also has video, you were in the wrong 100%.

Also, blocking SIP @ UDP 5060 would be the easier solution.
Again, signature-based blocking at the application level is better than port blocking.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Of course, you can just use a VPN on your device, and all the application or port blocking in the world is for naught. Gogo could only try to block VPNs (as Netflix has recently done), but that would keep a huge share of their business customers from using the service, so I don't think it's commercially viable.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Anyone making a phone call in flight should be required to step outside.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't a flyer back in the day but I wonder what the airlines were thinking when they installed inflight phones for passengers to use.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TomMM
I wasn't a flyer back in the day but I wonder what the airlines were thinking when they installed inflight phones for passengers to use.
They cost so much that nearly nobody used them thankfully ;-)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I really wouldn't have a problem with people making calls, FTing, etc. as long as there was a sound deadening booth or something where they could talk. People just don't realize how loud they are when talking on the phone, FT, etc.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Of course, you can just use a VPN on your device, and all the application or port blocking in the world is for naught. Gogo could only try to block VPNs (as Netflix has recently done), but that would keep a huge share of their business customers from using the service, so I don't think it's commercially viable.
This.

Last edited by HDQDD; Jul 22, 2016 at 8:02 am Reason: spelling -2
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
$$$$$$$$. But it didn't work out that way.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by appleguru
Yeah really ridiculous rates. I know on CO it was something like $5 just to connect and then something like $2.50/minute. CO kept them on all their planes for quite a while, however NW removed them from all but the widebodies by early 2000/2001. The A330s came with the entertainment handset doubling as a phone. I only remember that because you could call another seat on the plane for free. One or two flights had kids that thought it was fun to prank call other seats.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I personally witnessed only one person making a call on one of those. It was a while ago and I don't remember specfics, but I recall that it didn't seem like a very important call either.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I looked at this business many years ago. As I recall, average usage was well under one minute per day per phone.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by npapadon

I wasn't being loud or rude. There is nobody sitting around me.

Interesting in your thoughts.

Thanks
It's sometimes really hard to monitor how loud we are actually being. I wasn't there, and I'm sure you were trying to be cognizant of your surroundings. But I have always ascribed to the courtesy that cell phone calls should still be made in private rather than public spaces.

Here's a favorite Larry David clip of mine to illustrate:

Last edited by zrs70; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I personally witnessed only one person making a call on one of those. It was a while ago and I don't remember specfics, but I recall that it didn't seem like a very important call either.
I only did it once, out of probably close to 2MM total during the period that planes had phones, although not all aircraft were so equipped. In my case, I discovered as I was boarding that the organization setting up my meeting had failed to make a hotel reservation for me, even though they sent me a confirmation that they had done so. I was flying into a city holding a major event with no apparent place to sleep.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
What are you talking about? There is no federal or state law prohibiting this. It's part of the terms and conditions which were not easily shown when purchasing the service. That is contractual dispute with Gogo and/or Delta.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Anyone making a phone call in flight should be required to step outside.
Then why were phones behind nearly every seat years back? Someone must have already gone through this issue.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by npapadon
What are you talking about? There is no federal or state law prohibiting this. It's part of the terms and conditions which were not easily shown when purchasing the service. That is contractual dispute with Gogo and/or Delta.
I also want to mention the terms and conditions linked earlier in this thread only mention that "voice service is not permitted". I see no mention of video service behind prohibited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.