Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC now able to be used on Virgin Atlantic (VS)???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC now able to be used on Virgin Atlantic (VS)???

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the difficulty is that while the GUC instructions/terms state that Z is needed for a DL marketed KLM operated flight, there isn't anything that says what the applicable inventory is for VS. If they have to convert to a VS flight number, then they need G... but they may be looking for OP which doesn't exist there.

With KLM fortunately both DL or KL numbers need Z to upgrade, so when they convert from DL->KL to reticket the same inventory is still there.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:49 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rylan
I think the difficulty is that while the GUC instructions/terms state that Z is needed for a DL marketed KLM operated flight, there isn't anything that says what the applicable inventory is for VS. If they have to convert to a VS flight number, then they need G... but they may be looking for OP which doesn't exist there.

With KLM fortunately both DL or KL numbers need Z to upgrade, so when they convert from DL->KL to reticket the same inventory is still there.
True -- Z on KLM is clearly stated, while G on VS is just speculation (I believe based on the fact that for upgrades on VS-coded flights using VS miles, G is the required inventory). But if someone looking to do this gets a friendly agent and starts talking to them, they may be able to gain some knowledge for the FT community. If the agent says anything about "OP", then the customer can say "Oh, isn't that for Delta? I thought maybe it was something else for Virgin?"

Presumably somewhere in Delta's internal systems it says what the required fare code is, but it seems some agents assume that it works the same way as for Delta upgrades and don't bother to go look up what to do for Virgin.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
This is all that is on DL.com referring to the class of upgrade fares that are eligible:

Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audidudi
This is all that is on DL.com referring to the class of upgrade fares that are eligible:

Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.
That doesn't help any for what bucket it books into on VS. We know the Delta buckets, but there is no mention of the inventory needed to upgrade into.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you pull up the actual T&Cs on a GUC, it will list the required fare class on VS.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:28 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by javabytes
If you pull up the actual T&Cs on a GUC, it will list the required fare class on VS.
Ah, so it does. Though interestingly the "valid on" language seems to suggest that you can use a GUC on a VS-marketed, DL-operated flight (presumably with G inventory) but it doesn't actually list DL-marketed, VS-operated as an option. Could just be a failure to update the terms when they introduced VS upgrades, I suppose.

Reference Code
Certificate Number006xxxx
Redemption Code
Customer Name bgriff
Must Travel by See specific eCredit/voucher
Booking Class DL - OP, RP, WP Delta Agent | DL - O, R Travel Agent | KL - Z | AF - A, O | VS - G
Cabin of Service Delta One®/Business/First
Valid On DL Designated Flights Operated by DL,KL,AF,CP,EV,OO,9E,S5,G7
KL Designated Flights Operated by KL,DL,WA
AF Designated Flights Operated by AF,DL,WX
VS Designated Flights Operated by DL

Redemption Notes
To redeem this upgrade, you will need the reference code, certificate number and redemption code specified above.
Please refer to the terms and conditions for further details.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats odd, I looked at one a couple months ago and don't recall that. Although I can't check now since I don't have any in my acct at the moment... haven't picked new ones yet.

So since it says VS - G then that info should be provided to the agent helping/trying to re-ticket for the upgrade.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Ah, so it does. Though interestingly the "valid on" language seems to suggest that you can use a GUC on a VS-marketed, DL-operated flight (presumably with G inventory) but it doesn't actually list DL-marketed, VS-operated as an option. Could just be a failure to update the terms when they introduced VS upgrades, I suppose.

Reference Code
Certificate Number006xxxx
Redemption Code
Customer Name bgriff
Must Travel by See specific eCredit/voucher
Booking Class DL - OP, RP, WP Delta Agent DL - O, R Travel Agent KL - Z AF - A, O VS - G
Cabin of Service Delta One®/Business/First
Valid On DL Designated Flights Operated by DL,KL,AF,CP,EV,OO,9E,S5,G7
KL Designated Flights Operated by KL,DL,WA
AF Designated Flights Operated by AF,DL,WX
VS Designated Flights Operated by DL

Redemption Notes
To redeem this upgrade, you will need the reference code, certificate number and redemption code specified above.
Please refer to the terms and conditions for further details.
However note it doesn't say valid on DL marketed VS operated flights, but does for DL marketed, AF, KLM operated.

im curious if this is causing an issue in the system.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:15 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So tried to do this on recent flights, once they read up on it (I mentioned G class too), they seemed not to have any issues with it, however, never any G fares available.

Since I wasn't successful at using the GUC on my VS flights, I've run into a bunch of agents having issues with upgrading on KLM, stating that there is "Z" fares available for KLM marketed and operated flights but not DL marketed/KLM operated flights. They half that are talking about this are saying that the only way to upgrade these require a full Y fare.

UGH!

My boyfriend calls this a illusory benefit, a benefit that looks like a benefit but doesn't actually confer a benefit in the end.
shoodawg likes this.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So tried to do this on recent flights, once they read up on it (I mentioned G class too), they seemed not to have any issues with it, however, never any G fares available.

Since I wasn't successful at using the GUC on my VS flights, I've run into a bunch of agents having issues with upgrading on KLM, stating that there is "Z" fares available for KLM marketed and operated flights but not DL marketed/KLM operated flights. They half that are talking about this are saying that the only way to upgrade these require a full Y fare.

UGH!

My boyfriend calls this a illusory benefit, a benefit that looks like a benefit but doesn't actually confer a benefit in the end.
The KLM upgrades seem to vex many agents, but there are also multiple reports of people being able to successfully apply the upgrades, so it is not totally illusory, just poorly implemented. The VS upgrades may well be illusory though.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I just went through this a few weeks ago for flights on KL JFK-AMS-DXB and DXB-AMS (KL) and AMS-EWR (DL). It look 7 phone calls to get it hammered out, and between hearing the various "issues" agents mentioned on the DM line that prevented them from issuing the upgrades, combined with what I read here on FT, I finally was able to give the last agent step-by-step instructions for what I needed (and then the whole thing was done within 15 mins).

I had signed up for a subscription to EF, to start, and picked out flights that had Z class availability on KL when I booked the flights. I then called the DM line, told the agent I wanted to use my GUCs and that I found Z class availability on those flights, which I specified is what KL segments require to be upgrade-eligible. Once she confirmed the Z availability, I then said that I wanted to confirm that my DL-marketed, KL-operated segments were fare eligible (everything is except for Basic Economy, which I already knew, but then at least she could confirm for herself that I was good to go), and then then asked her to convert the segments to KL codes so that the GUCs could be applied.

She had to get the international ticketing desk (or a similar name, I can't remember the exact nomenclature) to do the reissue, but it was just some hold time at that point.

I've also had good success calling the Singapore reservations line (another tip I read about here on FT ), where for whatever reason, they seem to know the drill without needing as much hand-holding on the DM policies.

Yeah, it's more of a headache than it should be, but if you know how to work the system, you should (eventually) be able to get the GUCs to work for you.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
[/QUOTE]Yeah, it's more of a headache than it should be, but if you know how to work the system, you should (eventually) be able to get the GUCs to work for you.[/QUOTE]

All well and good but this thread is specifically targeting VS operated flights, and I don't know, nor have I read about, anyone getting to use a GUC on a VS operated/DL codeshared flight, as there never seems to be a G-fare bucket available... EVER!
Old May 10, 2017, 1:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by audidudi
Yeah, it's more of a headache than it should be, but if you know how to work the system, you should (eventually) be able to get the GUCs to work for you.
All well and good but this thread is specifically targeting VS operated flights, and I don't know, nor have I read about, anyone getting to use a GUC on a VS operated/DL codeshared flight, as there never seems to be a G-fare bucket available... EVER!
I didn't look on DL but a quick run through EF for VS G class showed availability for close-in departures (think in the next two weeks), but none for any other time in the future.

So maybe VS does what VA does and doesn't release availability until close to departure date. I'm sure there is a thread about that somewhere but I didn't look.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:11 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bj27
I didn't look on DL but a quick run through EF for VS G class showed availability for close-in departures (think in the next two weeks), but none for any other time in the future.

So maybe VS does what VA does and doesn't release availability until close to departure date. I'm sure there is a thread about that somewhere but I didn't look.
G fares on VS are also their award seats. VS does tend to release awards, and thus also theoretically upgrades, close to departure, as is common with many carriers outside the US. But they also sometimes release awards in advance -- search JFK-LHR for any midweek day next winter.

VS is also just not very generous with awards to the west coast. To JFK (if you have a bit of date flexibility) they almost always have award, and thus theoretically upgrade, availability.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Thats odd, I looked at one a couple months ago and don't recall that. Although I can't check now since I don't have any in my acct at the moment... haven't picked new ones yet.

So since it says VS - G then that info should be provided to the agent helping/trying to re-ticket for the upgrade.
I can confirm G is the UpperClass upgrade bucket for VS. Problem is, DL now confirms that G corresponds to PremiumEconomy. So according to DL, I'm not up front, VS says I am...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28476166-post2263.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.